Outcoached on both sides of the ball...and Edmunds sucked

On 12/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, ganesh said:

So do we need a new RB or  more better run blocking OL?

I'd say both. For all the FA OL acquisitions, they didn't add a "road grader." My hope is that Cody Ford can become that type of guard, but I have some lingering concerns based on his 17 reps of 225 at the combine. I'm sure he's going to have a full offseason of strength and conditioning, so that should help. He's a guard as far as I'm concerned. I've seen nothing to indicate he will ever be a quality NFL RT.

Whether it be Ford emerging or an acquisition, gotta get stronger up front. Despite Ford's play, the overall pass blocking has been "fine." Run blocking? Not so much. Morse is a nice cerebral center, but he ain't a mauler. Feliciano; nice player, high quality but also not a road grader. Spain; decent player in pass pro, but doesn't push the LOS at all.

Not quite sure how they put the puzzle together, but they need to find at least one player that pushes the LOS this offseason. 

Singletary has exceeded my expectations, but they definitely need some complimentary pieces at RB. DS is not really the type of ELITE back who can carry the load by himself. Maybe a tall task, but I'd like to see them add a speedy playmaking back as well as a "thumper." (Way too many football cliche's here.)

That being said, it would be tough for any back to get those 2-3 yards considering the line hasn't proven capable of moving the LOS.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, bobobonators said:

Eh. We lost by 1 score on the road vs a 12-3 team. 

A 12-3 team that has a defense giving up an average of between 12-13 ppg

Our 17 points aren't enough, but they need to be seen in that context

The play calling sequence which bothered me the most was 1st and 8 on the final drive.

We dial up a designed QB run.  In this circumstance vs this team, what a hideous play choice.

Why? First, because we'd run 3/5 on 1st down that drive and 2 were Josh.  Second, because as Joe B correctly pointed out, when Roberts comes in in such circs, it's usually to block.  So I think it was a play with several "tells" for Belicheck to sniff out - gonna be a run, probably designed QB run.

But most important, sending your QB on a designed run into a scrum of bodies isn't the best way to have him at his best for the next 3 plays.  Especially against the Patriots.  Anything they can do in those circs. that is hidden from the refs, they will do.  "Eagle Claw" in the ribs.  Fingers in the eyes.  Nut shot.  Step on the hands.  I'm sure all teams do this to some extent.  From what I've been told the Patriots have been making an art form of it since at least 2001.  Kurt Warner commented he didn't like that play because "you hate to see the QB exposed to injury like that"?  He would know, now wouldn't he?

We hadn't had a run game except Josh all 2nd half, so you've got a QB who's just been mauled up, and you want him to stand in and win the game in the next 3 downs with his arm.  What a GREAT idea, and when I say "great idea" I mean "could you have come up with a worse notion if you thought it up with both hands for a month?"

I am not a "let's tar and feather Daboll" person.  I think he does some great stuff!  But at times, his play calling baffles me.  That was one where I would have liked to jump through my TV screen and Smack Him Upside his Shiny Bald Haid

On 12/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, Socal-805 said:

I also started watching Edmunds exclusively in the 1st quarter - however was afraid to post anything as to get flamed.

He was almost always going the wrong way, moving away from the RB on his own and ending up out of the play entirely.  And then sometimes he was blocked 

and couldn't do anything.

Maybe he's not a MLB?

Tremaine Edmunds is no more a MILB then Ford is a RT. But try telling that to our stubborn coaches.