Satellite dish covers. Are they any good?

dhg

A little background. My 87 year old mother is glued to the TV. It's basically her lifeline when she is home by herself. We've had a couple unusual weather days like last Saturday when it rained in the morning and turned to snow in the afternoon. She lost reception for quite a while that evening and she literally lost her mind without TV. She is very old school and has zero understanding of technology so she didn't understand why snow would affect it. She called Directv 4 times that day and didn't understand why they couldn't get someone out to "fix" her TV. I am thinking about getting one of those covers to try to prevent the snow build up, but have read varying reviews. Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad? 

1 hour ago, dhg said:

A little background. My 87 year old mother is glued to the TV. It's basically her lifeline when she is home by herself. We've had a couple unusual weather days like last Saturday when it rained in the morning and turned to snow in the afternoon. She lost reception for quite a while that evening and she literally lost her mind without TV. She is very old school and has zero understanding of technology so she didn't understand why snow would affect it. She called Directv 4 times that day and didn't understand why they couldn't get someone out to "fix" her TV. I am thinking about getting one of those covers to try to prevent the snow build up, but have read varying reviews. Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad? 

wish i could help, but have no experience with them living in the South. I have had to get up there and broom snow off a couple times, guessing thats not an option for your Mom. 

6 hours ago, dhg said:

I don't have a dish, so I can't speak from experience.  But I googled around a little.  Looks like the best option is a heater made for satellite dishes.  Lots of 'em out there.  Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=40b9XZCHBNDatQbkt4jQCA&q=satellite+heaters+directv&oq=satelllite+heater&gs_l=psy-ab.3.2.0i13l3j0i22i30l7.177315.180986..183505...2.0..0.274.1992.13j5j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i362i308i154i357j0j0i131j0i10j0i13i30j0i13i10.x2NTRBRa31U#spf=1576880027648

I had issues years ago when they had the smaller dishes.  I had a plastic cover that fixed the problem.  Kinda like a grill cover, slipped over and did a great job.

Had Directv come out for a receiver issue and the guy noticed my dish was outdated.  Upgraded me to the newest design.  Dish is larger and has more LNB’s (reception piece).  Have not covered it since and have had only a few issues, mostly when it’s heavy rain.

Never tried it myself, but heard people put Pam spray on theirs.