Reality Time: T Henry and LJ Shelton

DeeRay

If this deal was gonna happen it would have happened already. Shelton is the hold up.... not Henry.

Here's why...

With the Bills signing of Gandy and Anderson, they've plugged a hole at starting LG and at backup tackle. Don't forget to factor in the other JP... Jason Peters... at the very least, with working out and all of the tutoring he's getting, combined with his atleticism, he's definitely going to be a much better player than he was a year ago. All of the experts out there are suggesting even if the bills were to get Shelton, the feeling is that if he's not the answer, Trey Teague is there to fall back on. Well, well, well.... those of you that think Tom Donahoe is going to aquire a tackle t $3.5M/yr and not be able to play up to expectations, please raise your hand... the rest of you can sit down and please hear me out.

Yeah... the hold up is Shelton, so to speak. The Bills don't want him, and the cardinals don't want to give up a number 2 for Henry. I would have been ecstatic to get a 4th rounder for Travis a few months back. Now, it looks as though they may very well get the cardinals (44th) pick in round 2 even up for henry... that's what TD has been holding out for, not Shelton. So, the Bills are probably going to have two #2 picks.... and I'm thinking Dave Baas, Mike Nugent or Chris Spencer. Whichever one doesn't get picked may very well be there at 55 for the bills 2nd pick.... and then in Rd 3-4 they concentrate on a TE and, perhaps a tackle.

Let's face it.... the cardianls are going to dump Shelton after June 1 if they can't move him. If the Bills want him, they can have him then... at a much more reasonable salary.... and with the 3.5M they're not paying him plus the $2M they won't be paying Travis, the Bills could have $8-$9M salary cap space to sign a post June 1 cap casualty or two.

I like this thought. Last year the first round was stacked at the positions we needed to fill, making it a very smart move to use two first rounders. This year the class of what we need in the draft is in the second round. TD accummulate second rounders this year, its what we need to do.

Another thought... if we did have the 20th pick in the draft (assuming the two top tackles were off the board by 20, which they should be) would most of you be screaming to trade down and out of this weak first round?

.... and with the 3.5M they're not paying him plus the $2M they won't be paying Travis, the Bills could have $8-$9M salary cap space to sign a post June 1 cap casualty or two.

300870[/snapback]

Interesting thought, DeeRay. The #44 pick for Travis would be great.

The $ numbers I have always heard were $3M for Shelton's next 4 years, and $1.25M for Travis in 2005. Where do your numbers ($3.5M and $2M) come from?

The problem with this logic is that it is beneficial to aquire shelton via trade vice free agency. You trade for him, you get him free and clear from any future cap hits. We can release him at ANY point, and have zero dead cap space. Sign him through FA after he is cut, and you wind up having to keep him if he doesnt pan out, plus you potenially enter a bidding war for his services.

I think TD wants shelton. We'll see though. Either shelton or a 2nd rounder would be fine with me.

If this deal was gonna happen it would have happened already.  Shelton is the hold up.... not Henry. 

Here's why...

With the Bills signing of Gandy and Anderson, they've plugged a hole at starting LG and at backup tackle.  Don't forget to factor in the other JP... Jason Peters... at the very least, with working out and all of the tutoring he's getting, combined with his atleticism, he's definitely going to be a much better player than he was a year ago.  All of the experts out there are suggesting even if the bills were to get Shelton,  the feeling is that if he's not the answer, Trey Teague is there to fall back on.  Well, well, well.... those of you that think Tom Donahoe is going to aquire a tackle t $3.5M/yr and not be able to play up to expectations, please raise your hand... the rest of you can sit down and please hear me out.

Yeah... the hold up is Shelton, so to speak.  The Bills don't want him, and the cardinals don't want to give up a number 2 for Henry.  I would have been ecstatic to get a 4th rounder for Travis a few months back.  Now, it looks as though they may very well get the cardinals (44th) pick in round 2 even up for henry... that's what TD has been holding out for, not Shelton.  So, the Bills are probably going to have two #2 picks.... and I'm thinking Dave Baas, Mike Nugent  or Chris Spencer.  Whichever one doesn't get picked may very well be there at 55 for the bills 2nd pick.... and then in Rd 3-4 they concentrate on a TE and, perhaps a tackle.

Let's face it.... the cardianls are going to dump Shelton after June 1 if they can't move him.  If the Bills want him, they can have him then... at a much more reasonable salary.... and with the 3.5M they're not paying him plus the $2M they won't be paying Travis, the Bills could have $8-$9M salary cap space to sign a post June 1 cap casualty or two.

300870[/snapback]

Please explain why Dennis Green would trade a #2 (the #44 in the draft) for Travis and then cut Shelton when he can trade, by ALL accounts, Shelton and a trade down from 44 to 55 for Travis?

Hey Dennis, do you want Henry and no #2, or do you want Henry AND a #2? You may have either, so just let us know.

I don't buy the thought that the Bills don't want Shelton.

There are 2 possible reasons the trade hasn't happened.

1) Arizona wants a guy at pick 8 who is not a RB and if the trade takes place before they pick, they're afraid that someone else will trade up & get him

2) The negotiating for pick 44 has the two teams playing poker against each other

Shelton carries an annual salary of 3 Mil for the next 4 years. Henrys' is 1.25 Mil.

The poker game is in full swing but it's quite possible Shelton is NOT desired by the Bills coaches, as Lenny P mentioned yesterday. The Bills may have other suitors if some teams cannot aquire a RB in the first 2 rounds. The a 3rd Rounder may be offered. Or more.

The Bills want to be darn sure that Shelton is their starter at LT to pay that salary. Let's not ASSUME anything.

While its fun to speculate this time of year...I don't believe even a quarter of the stuff that TD says in the media, on bb.com, in Bills digest or to his wife, mother and kids this time of year.

I will make two predictions:

1) We will draft someone that is very obscure like McGee two years ago.

He wasn't even in the Pro Football Weekly top 30 CB's in 2003.

2) Travis Henry will not be a Bill on March (I meant APRIL, :devil:) 25, 2005

While its fun to speculate this time of year...I don't believe even a quarter of the stuff that TD says in the media, on bb.com, in Bills digest or to his wife, mother and kids this time of year.

I will make two predictions:

1) We will draft someone that is very obscure like McGee two years ago.

He wasn't even in the Pro Football Weekly top 30 CB's in 2003.

2) Travis Henry will not be a Bill on March 25, 2005

You already missed one....

Shelton carries an annual salary of 3 Mil for the next 4 years. Henrys' is 1.25 Mil.

The poker game is in full swing but it's quite possible Shelton is NOT desired by the Bills coaches, as Lenny P mentioned yesterday. The Bills may have other suitors if some teams cannot aquire a RB in the first 2 rounds. The a 3rd Rounder may be offered. Or more.

The Bills want to be darn sure that Shelton is their starter at LT to pay that salary. Let's not ASSUME anything.

301042[/snapback]

I know I've said this many times, but Shelton is not that good. I was not surprised to read Pasquarelli's article.

Yeah, he's cheap for an experienced veteran LT. But he's not going to be a strong point in your line. He's a stop-gap who could very well be displaced by somebody already on the roster, and that just ain't enough for Henry who would be an asset to a team that needs a good running back. I don't make this deal if for no other reason than TH will be rushing for 1200+ yards when Shelton has already been flushed. I don't take a bad draft pick either, because McGahee could blow out a knee for a third time and our running game would be Garrison Hearse and the Joe Burns. Get value or let him walk next year. Don't get fleeced for the sake of LJ Shelton or a 4th round pick.