Forget Matt Jones

It's looking more and more like either the Steelers or Eagles will take a gamble and draft Matt Jones with their 1st round picks. And if they don't do it, the Bears will with their 38th overall pick. The Bills might get the Cards' 44th overall in the Travis trade, but they'd need to pony up a LOT to move up enough to get him. So better to look for another TE. If Heath Miller were to somehow drop to #44 (because of injury concerns), I'd take him assuming he is cleared by a doctor. If not, I'd take that Adam Bergen guy in the early/late 3rd after trading down.

Good!

Spending a top pick on a guy who will be changing positions to something he never did before is insanity.

300457[/snapback]

Matt Jones was originally recruited by Arkansas as a WR!

He made the switch to QB when they saw what an amazing athlete he was. It was his performance at the Senior Bowl as a WR, combined with the.... uh, combine; that has made his stock rise so much.

He's not Eric Crouch. He has played WR all his life.

I don't know about insanity, and I think a 1st rounder is way too much, but it's a worthwhile gamble IMHO for a 2nd rounder.

300463[/snapback]

Well you can forget it. F-O-R-G-E-T a friggin-bout IT. Don't waffle, stick to your guns! It's looking more and more like the Steelers and Eagles will pick him in round 1, because, as usual, teams always tip their hand about who they will pick in the weeks leading up to the draft.

In all seriousness, are these updates on Matt Jones really necessary? It's a lot of fretting about non-information. The guy is very talented, but his lack of college experience at WR, injury history and questionable desire for the game make him very difficult to project. I remember the year Jason Taylor, Marcellus Wiley and Jamie Nails were all projected as first rounders despite their lack of big time college experience. They were considered fast risers like Jones. NONE of them went in round 1, and Nails slipped all the way to round 4.

Why the hell would we want a guy without a position when we need serious help at OLine? Our offense is fine as is with the huge question mark of JP, we're going to sink or swim on his decision making. I wouldn't waste a high pick on a TE project. It's gotta be either Oline or Corner, unless there's a huge run on one position that drops a "should have been" first rounder into the second.

Our first pick of the second round:

QB? No. WR? No. TE? No. RB? No. High motor DE? No. Safety? No. Kicker? HELL NO.

LB? Possible. DT? Possible.

OLine? Yes. Corner? Yes.

RTB

Well you can forget it.  F-O-R-G-E-T a friggin-bout IT.  Don't waffle, stick to your guns!  It's looking more and more like the Steelers and Eagles will pick him in round 1, because, as usual, teams always tip their hand about who they will pick in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Sarcasm noted and true to a point. However I don't think anyone outside of those 2 teams would take Jones with a 1st rounder, and are ABLE to spend a 1st round pick on a gamble like him. That is what I see as being the difference in the usual not-tipping-your-hand MO.

In all seriousness, are these updates on Matt Jones really necessary?  It's a lot of fretting about non-information.  The guy is very talented, but his lack of college experience at WR, injury history and questionable desire for the game make him very difficult to project.  I remember the year Jason Taylor, Marcellus Wiley and Jamie Nails were all projected as first rounders despite their lack of big time college experience.  They were considered fast risers like Jones.  NONE of them went in round 1, and Nails slipped all the way to round 4.

I haven't heard about injury problems or lack of desire, but if true, those would be red flags. As for the guys you mentioned, they had other knocks on them and were expected to play the position they played in college in the pros. Projecting Jones to play WR with his freakish ability is different. And Randle-el was drafted in the 2nd round, despite also being a college QB and having no experience at WR. Jones just has freakish abilities, which is why he'll go higher.

Why the hell would we want a guy without a position when we need serious help at OLine? Our offense is fine as is with the huge question mark of JP, we're going to sink or swim on his decision making. I wouldn't waste a high pick on a TE project. It's gotta be either Oline or Corner, unless there's a huge run on one position that drops a "should have been" first rounder into the second.

Our first pick of the second round:

QB? No. WR? No. TE? No. RB? No. High motor DE? No. Safety? No. Kicker? HELL NO.

LB? Possible. DT? Possible.

OLine? Yes. Corner? Yes.

As I stated above, Jones has freakish athletic ability. A guy with his potential only comes along every so often.

Matt Jones was originally recruited by Arkansas as a WR!

He made the switch to QB when they saw what an amazing athlete he was. It was his performance at the Senior Bowl as a WR, combined with the.... uh, combine; that has made his stock rise so much.

He's not Eric Crouch. He has played WR all his life.

300473[/snapback]

except the last 4 years, where he played against his toughest competition to date.

and gained most of his practical experience.

by the way... injury concerns - already has rotator problems in r shoulder, the real reason he's looking at a new position in the first place.

leave this guy along.

assuming no shelton and the henry trade is for their 2nd round pick...

CB, C, WR, DT, HB, LB, SS

As I stated above, Jones has freakish athletic ability.  A guy with his potential only comes along every so often.

300495[/snapback]

You got that right. He'd be a great pick-up for any team.

The kid's 6-6, 242, clocks consistently under 4.40, and he can throw and catch.

We could use him as a TE, a WR, and H-Back, or in some trick plays, he can throw.

I have read two places where Jones has a shoulder injury that has hung around for a while. One was from Mort who claimed the shoulder injury hurt him being viewed as a QB. The other is in the Pro Football Weekly draft guide which I just picked up today at the local Barnes and Noble. On the good side, the PFW guide said the kid plays hurt on the bad side it said he doesn't always play hard. They rated him late 2nd, early 3rd as a TE.

By the way, the PFW book is still the best mass market draft publication available even after Joel B's untimely death two years ago.

Sarcasm noted and true to a point.  However I don't think anyone outside of those 2 teams would take Jones with a 1st rounder, and are ABLE to spend a 1st round pick on a gamble like him.  That is what I see as being the difference in the usual not-tipping-your-hand MO.

I haven't heard about injury problems or lack of desire, but if true, those would be red flags.  As for the guys you mentioned, they had other knocks on them and were expected to play the position they played in college in the pros.  Projecting Jones to play WR with his freakish ability is different.  And Randle-el was drafted in the 2nd round, despite also being a college QB and having no experience at WR.  Jones just has freakish abilities, which is why he'll go higher.

300493[/snapback]

Randle El is a good example. It only takes one team. Randle El represented a potential threat as a slot receiver, a gadget play guy and a kick/punt returner. He was a potentially great fit for what the Steelers wanted to do offensively and what they were lacking. If the Steelers didn't draft him then, he might have been on the board for another round.

Randle El is a good example.  It only takes one team.  Randle El represented a potential threat as a slot receiver, a gadget play guy and a kick/punt returner.  He was a potentially great fit for what the Steelers wanted to do offensively and what they were lacking.  If the Steelers didn't draft him then, he might have been on the board for another round.

300685[/snapback]

Good comparison. Jones is virtually the same exact player as Randle El, just 8 inches taller.

I'm starting to think many of the OL, Jones ( who I don't want ) and others mentioned here will be gone by the time the Bills make their 2nd round pick, especially if the Shelton trade never happens and they stay at #55.

If the Bills already plan on bouncing Teague outside, then they'll hope for a top Center but may wind up using their two day 1 selections on something else, like CB,TE or RB.

Never predict what TD is going to do. Last year, it looked like we'd draft a DE/DT in Round 1. We wound up with a WR ( Evans ) AND a QB ( Losman ). WHo saw that coming ?

Good comparison.  Jones is virtually the same exact player as Randle El, just 8 inches taller.

300692[/snapback]

Jones lacks quickness. As a wr prospect, he's the opposite of Randle El. I said it was a good comparison, but meaning that Randle El was also a projection to the wr position. I'm going to guess Jones won't be catching many passes behind the LOS, running reverses, returning punts/kicks or any of the things quick receivers excel at. He's desirable because he's a home run threat.

Teams look at Matt Jones and see TD's via the deep ball or the jump ball. I think there will be the obvious inclination to try to come up with plays where he can use his QB skills, like throwing the ball off of a reverse, but I don't think it will be as effective because teams won't fear Jones open field moves like they do a half back or an elusive guy like Randle El. The "gadget" I think may be great with him could be having him line up under center at the goal line and having him push across the goal line, or maybe even an option type run.

You got that right.  He'd be a great pick-up for any team.

The kid's 6-6, 242, clocks consistently under 4.40, and he can throw and catch.

We could use him as a TE, a WR, and H-Back, or in some trick plays, he can throw.

300565[/snapback]

you guys talk about trick plays like we do them once a series. they happen maybe one time per game / and not every game.

its a WASTED ARGUEMENT. the guy maybe able to run and jump, but lets think back. Leif Larson, Gabe Northern. Freakishly strong / quick respecitvely for their size. CLEARLY big fat busts.

stop dreaming and get real. we ain't taking this guy