THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - An Emotional Loss

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the writeup.

The only thing I'll say is that that was a WEIRD Bills-Patriots game. How many times during the past 20 years against the Pats could the Bills have a blocked punt TD against them, throw three interceptions, and NOT got blown out? How many times have we left the Bills-Pats game feeling like the Bills were the better team, that they SHOULD have won the game, but for a few silly mistakes?

It was weird looking, I tell ya. Like one Bills analyst said after the game: The gap between these two teams hasn't only closed, it's non-existent. The Bills appear to be as good as the Patriots across the board. The one glaring exception, of course, is at quarterback, and that was the difference in the game. Like you said, this will either be the game that forever ruins Josh Allen (like the Cardinals game did to Trent Edwards), or it'll be just another speedbump on the road to a great career. I would be lying if I said that I'm not at least a LITTLE nervous that it's going to be the former rather than the latter.

Thanks Logic.   You said it boldly and directly.  

I have to say, I didn't leave the game thinking the Bills were the better team.   The Patriots were the better team Sunday, but they were better only because they game planned better (the blocked punt gives them the edge of game planning) and they had the better quarterback.  That combination made the Pats the better team.   

It was weird, true, and amazing.   I don't think the fans around the country actually understand what happened at New Era on Sunday, but the Pats understand and the Bills understand.   

By the way, everything Belichick said about the Bills in his press conference Wednesday before the game was true.   He described exactly the defense he and Brady saw on Sunday.   And he did what he always does on defense - he took away the Bills best player, #17.

Yes, I have a little something gnawing at me about Allen going the wrong way, but I don't think that's going to happen, for two reasons.  One reason is Allen himself.   He's too determined to let himself fail.  No player is going to be more ready for the rematch than Allen.   The other reason is McDermott.   He is going to be there every step of the way, propping Josh up, helping him see what he needs to do.   

I'm with you, Shaw. I LOVE it when the Bills play GREAT defense! There is reason for great optimism even if Josh doesn't get it together. Add a franchise player at LT and WR and maybe CB and a replacement for Lo after the season and this team is ready for the big time. Obviously Allen has to play a LOT better, but if he can't, we would still be a serious heavyweight contender if we had a solid QB. Even a guy like Minshew or Danny Jones would make this team as good as any other, but so much depends on the QB. I'm still hoping Josh can pull through. I just wish we could speed that process WAY up.

Just imagine this team with Russel Wilson at QB or Pat Mahomes.

Edited by GreggTX

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks Logic.   You said it boldly and directly.  

I have to say, I didn't leave the game thinking the Bills were the better team.   The Patriots were the better team Sunday, but they were better only because they game planned better (the blocked punt gives them the edge of game planning) and they had the better quarterback.  That combination made the Pats the better team.   

It was weird, true, and amazing.   I don't think the fans around the country actually understand what happened at New Era on Sunday, but the Pats understand and the Bills understand.   

By the way, everything Belichick said about the Bills in his press conference Wednesday before the game was true.   He described exactly the defense he and Brady saw on Sunday.   And he did what he always does on defense - he took away the Bills best player, #17.

Yes, I have a little something gnawing at me about Allen going the wrong way, but I don't think that's going to happen, for two reasons.  One reason is Allen himself.   He's too determined to let himself fail.  No player is going to be more ready for the rematch than Allen.   The other reason is McDermott.   He is going to be there every step of the way, propping Josh up, helping him see what he needs to do.   

...and he still couldn't do anything about it.  He always does something about what he knows ahead of time.  The fact that it played out this way is really uplifting, to me.

12 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

...and he still couldn't do anything about it.  He always does something about what he knows ahead of time.  The fact that it played out this way is really uplifting, to me.

Right.  And Brady too.  The master film study coach and the master film study quarterback could do nothing. Kind of hard to believe, actually. 

If Allen had played his best instead of his worst, it would have been a blowout.  Of course, Belichick had something to do with that. 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:57 AM, boater said:

The Bills did not embarrass themselves.

Josh looked terrible, but I buffer that aspect with the reality: the Patsies secondary is exemplary, probably the best in the NFL. The Pats secondary has been embarrassing opposing quarterbacks all season.

I think we just witnessed a game with the #1 and #2 defenses in the NFL.  Brady was held to 16 points, even after he was gifted tremendous field position due to Buffalo turnovers.

A third year Josh Allen would have won that game. A second year Josh Allen with a Devin Singletary would have won that game.

Overall, great points.  Important correction: 9 points.  One TD and one FG. 

I can not emphasize enough how jaw-dropping that is when you gift the #4 offense in the league (on points) with 4 INTs and great field position.

I hope you're right on the 'third year' and the importance of running game (see below)

On 10/2/2019 at 9:10 AM, Logic said:

Thanks for the writeup.

The only thing I'll say is that that was a WEIRD Bills-Patriots game. How many times during the past 20 years against the Pats could the Bills have a blocked punt TD against them, throw three interceptions, and NOT got blown out? How many times have we left the Bills-Pats game feeling like the Bills were the better team, that they SHOULD have won the game, but for a few silly mistakes?

It was weird looking, I tell ya. Like one Bills analyst said after the game: The gap between these two teams hasn't only closed, it's non-existent. The Bills appear to be as good as the Patriots across the board. The one glaring exception, of course, is at quarterback, and that was the difference in the game. Like you said, this will either be the game that forever ruins Josh Allen (like the Cardinals game did to Trent Edwards), or it'll be just another speedbump on the road to a great career. I would be lying if I said that I'm not at least a LITTLE nervous that it's going to be the former rather than the latter.

This.  You can speak for me on all points here.

I don't know that I'm more nervous than I have been before about JA.  I still feel the same: he's got all the potential in the world, and a long road to go to realize it.

Either he will, or he won't, can't tell yet.