Angry Dad

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_us/coach_shot

always beware of a man who'd middle name is Doyle

298836[/snapback]

Doesn't surprise me. I was a ref for 9th and 10th grade football games, and the parents would get pissed at the refs for "missing" calls (aka: parents didn't know the rule differences between high school and the NFL) and at the coaches for not playing their kid enough. Throw in people with guns in Texas, and you have a recipe for disaster.

CW

Damn you, Fez! 

Guns don't killed people; people kill people! 

Signed,

C.  Heston

298860[/snapback]

Yes, but if those parents stopped playing video games, then the violence in the country would decrease because video games are the root of all evil. :)

CW

Doesn't surprise me.  I was a ref for 9th and 10th grade football games, and the parents would get pissed at the refs for "missing" calls (aka: parents didn't know the rule differences between high school and the NFL) and at the coaches for not playing their kid enough.  Throw in people with guns in Texas, and you have a recipe for disaster.

CW

298847[/snapback]

High School football in Texas is bigger than life for crazy parents out there.

Yes, but if those parents stopped playing video games, then the violence in the country would decrease because video games are the root of all evil.  :)

CW

298867[/snapback]

Beat me to it! ;)

I have mixed feelings about this story...please allow me to explain.

I have been around football for years and years....I was a player....love to watch it....and now my son is a player.....

The one thing that I absolutely HATE about football right now is the "little clicks" that seem to form where if you are not a youth daddy coach....or somebody who is in good with a coach....then you AND your kid are on the outside looking in....

These groups seem to feel that the team is there for them and their kids.....and everyone else is just there to round out the roster...it really is that damn stupid.

And it rubs off onto the kids as well.....they emulate what their snobby, clickish, stupid, arrogant parents do....and some of them get away with it.....

I will give you a point in case....the year before last my son played junior pee wee football and was a two way player at offensive tackle and defensive end....the defensive line coach had a son but he was off at some sort of boxing camp all summer long and missed all of hellweek and the preseason. My son was playing the Left D End spot. His kid comes in after all the sweat work had been done with the team. I didn't think anything of it at the time...my son was kicking but at his spot and was in the backfield making tackles and getting sacks pretty much all the time.

We had a game against Moreno Valley where we were going against one of the better running backs in the division.....this kid was very fast and was beating us to the outside on BOTH sides routinely.....we still won because we scored more points....a lot of those points came right to my sons side of the offensive line......

The following monday at practice we find out that my son had been demoted....and the coaches son put in his place. I didn't like it but I didn't say anything....two things happened:

- Coaches son then decided he was going to rub it in Brett's face that he got his spot....now keep in mind that he never actually earned it. This didn't go on for very long because Brett was putting his face in the turf on every play as he played the OT spot opposite him. But no one....NO ONE said anything about the kids mouth or the situation.....dont want to rock the boat.

- This kid SUCKED at any physical spot on the team.....ton of athletic ability....but no discipline....and anytime someone wanted to go to that side he couldn't maintain his position......they literally CHANGED THE DEFENSIVE SCHEME to keep him on the field and cover him up......I was just sick watching it.

Brett went to the HC after about 3 weeks of this and asked for his position back...or at least to compete for it.....but see...this is where the little click of coaches, players, friends come in.....he never got a chance to earn it back....

Now...fast forward to this article....I am not condoning anything that parent did and he seems a little off....but when I hear the parts of "I dont know why he was set off...it wasn't even my kid"

I cannot help but wonder what the REAL story is down in Texas...it is probably a group of parents talking crap about him that led to the kids "razzing him" and I cant stand that.

I have been around football for years and years....I was a player....love to watch it....and now my son is a player.....

The one thing that I absolutely HATE about football right now is the "little clicks" that seem to form where if you are not a youth daddy coach....or somebody who is in good with a coach....then you AND your kid are on the outside looking in....

These groups seem to feel that the team is there for them and their kids.....and everyone else is just there to round out the roster...it really is that damn stupid.

And it rubs off onto the kids as well.....they emulate what their snobby, clickish, stupid, arrogant parents do....and some of them get away with it.....

I will give you a point in case....the year before last my son played junior pee wee football and was a two way player at offensive tackle and defensive end....the defensive line coach had a son but he was off at some sort of boxing camp all summer long and missed all of hellweek and the preseason.  My son was playing the Left D End spot.  His kid comes in after all the sweat work had been done with the team.  I didn't think anything of it at the time...my son was kicking but at his spot and was in the backfield making tackles and getting sacks pretty much all the time.

We had a game against Moreno Valley where we were going against one of the better running backs in the division.....this kid was very fast and was beating us to the outside on BOTH sides routinely.....we still won because we scored more points....a lot of those points came right to my sons side of the offensive line......

The following monday at practice we find out that my son had been demoted....and the coaches son put in his place.  I didn't like it but I didn't say anything....two things happened:

- Coaches son then decided he was going to rub it in Brett's face that he got his spot....now keep in mind that he never actually earned it.  This didn't go on for very long because Brett was putting his face in the turf on every play as he played the OT spot opposite him.  But no one....NO ONE said anything about the kids mouth or the situation.....dont want to rock the boat.

- This kid SUCKED at any physical spot on the team.....ton of athletic ability....but no discipline....and anytime someone wanted to go to that side he couldn't maintain his position......they literally CHANGED THE DEFENSIVE SCHEME to keep him on the field and cover him up......I was just sick watching it.

Brett went to the HC after about 3 weeks of this and asked for his position back...or at least to compete for it.....but see...this is where the little click of coaches, players, friends come in.....he never got a chance to earn it back....

Now...fast forward to this article....I am not condoning anything that parent did and he seems a little off....but when I hear the parts of "I dont know why he was set off...it wasn't even my kid"

I cannot help but wonder what the REAL story is down in Texas...it is probably a group of parents talking crap about him that led to the kids "razzing him" and I cant stand that.

299006[/snapback]

It's simply politics. What you described goes on everywhere, in every sport. My 15 yr old son has been playing ice hockey for 9 years and I've seen it in one form or another every single year. I could tell you a hundred different wrongs that I've seen done to kids. It doesn't matter how bad the coaches son sucks, he will always get the most icetime / playing time and he will never be benched. What I always found to be ridiculous was the number of guys on any given coaching staff. For instance, a couple years back my son played for a coach who had 3 assistants! And of course they all had kids on the team and they all sucked. But of course they got the most icetime. Needless to say, they didn't win very many games. My son came close to walking away from hockey more than once. Bad coaching can definately damage a kid's desire to play.

The best possible thing you can do is to find a coach that does not have a kid on the team. Last fall my son made his H.S. varsity hockey team as a freshman. The coach has no kids on the team, neither does the asst. coach. They made it to the championship game but lost by a goal. This same coach has a midget travel team which is comprised of 88 & 87 birth years. My son is a 90 but insisted on trying out for his H.S. coaches team. He also insisted that this was the best coach he's ever had. He made the team. I have to say that in the last decade of my son's hockey, this is only the second time I have ever come across a bona fide decent coach and asst. coach. They are all about 'team', and they demand respect for themselves and towards each other.

Do some research and try to find out about the coaches before you tryout for a team. Good coaches are definately hard to find because most coaches are in it for one reason and one reason only, their son.

Oh, and by the way, my son was also playing bantam travel at the same time as he was playing h.s. hockey. His bantam coach forced him to choose between the two teams because he demanded his complete loyalty, even tho' these two teams had nothing to do with one another. Weren't even on the same level. My son said adios ****.

thx. i'm supposed to be working, but these idiots don't micro-manage me enough so Paint Brush and Photo Editor get used allot during the coarse of a day.

298874[/snapback]

I am fighting off the urge to compliment that fine hat on accounta my boycott of all things Mexico since the Osama incident in the kickball match last week. :)

A personal story....

When I was about 11, I was on the local football team organized by the community. Those of you who have met me know that I am by no means pysically intimidating (the Pipe-cleaner man is what I call myself now) but there was an assistant coach who's son was about the same size as me. He was the 2nd string QB, and boy did he suck! I had a stronger arm and more QB sense, but never even got any reps in practice.

Anyways, this guy knows I want his job, so on one play I got in the backfield from LB position and pounded him. He got all pissed and told his dad that I grabbed his facemask, which I didn't. When I got to the sidelines after the play, expecting to be congratulated for the sack, this guy, a GROWN man, grabbed my facemask and nearly pulled my head off. He was yelling and screaming, "SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT, I'LL TEACH YOU NOT TO GRAB THE FACEMASK YOU LITTLE PUNK". Again, I was all of 11 years old and about 85 pounds.

I was so upset that I told my father about it. I remember he got really quiet and made sure that he had a few words with this guy after the next practice. My father is a big guy, 6'1" and about 290 pounds (what the hell happened to me then). He never told me what he said to the guy, but that coach never spoke another single word to me after that.

I only played one season of football...

Last year was almost my sons last year of football until High School....possibly forever.....we were all that frustrated

3 instances I remember most of last season:

- Having the defensive coach blow sunshine up my @ss when I went to him and asked how my son was doing.....only to see him play all of the last 5 minutes in the following days scrimmage. We were the Div 1 team (usually gets the best players) and we were going against the Div 2 team (supposed to be everyone else).....and the Div II teams was soundly kicking our butts. I am sitting there for the life of me trying to figure out what i going on. Brett goes in and the whole complexion of the game changes because he is taking off from a DE spot and disrupting everything.....after making his read if it is going to be run or pass (he stays put if he reads run to his side and seals the OT in)....he had 2 tackles and pressured a pass...then they started going the other direction. The game ended with Brett chasing around the qb for a sack. The Div II coach comes over to me and says "God I wish I had Brett on my team"....I said you know that is interesting because his coach doesn't think much of him for some reason. We go to the coach after the game and ask for the transfer. I told it wasn't a personal thing just that Brett didn't appear to be in his plans and the other coach had use of him. This friggen coach had the balls to look at us and say "sure I will release him....trade me your starting running back and he is all yours".....that was the end of that discussion.

- They decided to make him a backup backup fullback (playing behind 2 coaches sons) one of them should have been playing QB (but they had to make room for another coaches son there....since he couldn't do anything else)....the other one had Barry Sanders moves and a 10 cent finish...meaning he kept fumbling, couldnt' catch, and wouldnt' block. Meanwhile Brett is sitting on the scout team RUNNING OVER STARTERS.....with the backup offensive line......it was not uncommon to see the scout team beat up on the starting defense in practice....he wasn't fast but it would literally take a pile of kids to get him on the ground. So about 3 weeks into I go to the coach and I ask him why son is getting 2 plays a game.

- He doesnt fumble? "It doesnt matter he is too slow"

- He always gets positive yardage "it doesn't matter he is too slow"

- He can actually catch "it doenst matter he is too slow"

- Now comes what pretty much is the ending point....we are playing a team with all of 2 wins all season (we only had 3) the fullback ahead of brett gets hurt and comes out of the game....up to this point our offense looks like the lakers defense this year.....mistakes mistakes mistakes......dropped passes.....fumbled balls.....missed tackles.....five that is right FIVE INTECEPTIONS from daddy's coach son who is good for at least 3 ever friggen game. But with 4 minutes left to go we are down by 6. My son goes into the game at fullback......we are at our own 40 ish yard line. We run a running play to the outside.....Brett decleats the linebacker to that side and the RB gets the corner.....all the way to the 10 yard line....the next play is a pass play.....a linebacker guesses the snap count right and gets through untouched at the line.....but Brett is back in pass protection and stands him up.....the QB throws lob that probably should have been picked off but it does come down in a receivers hads......unfortunately the receiver is in the grasp of the safety and even though he was churning his feet it looks like his momentum is going to be stopped.....Brett comes from where he was....IN BLITZ PICKUP....and knocks the safety off the receiver who WALKS INTO THE ENDZONE......After numerous congrats by the coaches to the one that threw the ball and the one that caught the ball......they kick the extra point.....which was missed.......tied with less then a 2 minutes left to go. We kick off and they get ball to midfield....they try 4 straight pass plays and turn the ball over on downs.....what does this friggen coaching staff do?

a. THey took my son out and put the othe FB back in. That dad coach COULDN"T WAIT to get his kid back into that game....I cannot imagine why?

b. They friggen get cute and throw a homerun throwup by pass.....only the FULLBACK DROPS THE DAMN BALL....it is now a lateral....and you guesse it the oppposing defense picks up the ball and runs it for a touchdown. They kick the extra point.....WE LOSE

Brett grabs his gear and doens't even bother to wait for the end of game bull@hit talk from the coaches or his after game snack.....and starts to leave the field. One of the coaches gets PO'd at him.....(Daddycoach for QB) but Brett just ignores him and keeps going. I meanwhile am waiting for my son on the edge of the field and notice that this coach is following Brett telling him to turn around....Brett isn't even acting like he is there (and by the way..he has NEVER done anything like that before and I am there for every practice) Brett passes me and I tell him to just keep going to the truck. Now this fricken coach thinks he is going KEEP following him and I step in the path.

"I think he is done for the day coach" "why dont we just let everyone cool off"

"he needs to get back out here with his team. We win as a team and we lose as a team"

"So...this is his team? Should he consider himself a part of the team?" "I mean come on dammit 2 fricken plays?

"Look my son isn't happy about the loss either...you dont see him throwing a fit"

"Your son just threw 5 picks and come Monday will be right back under center.....I would think he would be thrilled"

Realizing that this talk was going was going down a road to which he had no answer for.....here comes the standard talk line "you know the rule....we dont address these types of things right after games because our emotions are talking for us...you have to wait until Monday"

"Exactly...so WTF are you doing out here off the field"

Last year was almost my sons last year of football until High School....possibly forever.....we were all that frustrated

3 instances I remember most of last season:

- Having the defensive coach blow sunshine up my @ss when I went to him and asked how my son was doing.....only to see him play all of the last 5 minutes in the following days scrimmage.  We were the Div 1 team (usually gets the best players) and we were going against the Div 2 team (supposed to be everyone else).....and the Div II teams was soundly kicking our butts.  I am sitting there for the life of me trying to figure out what i going on.  Brett goes in and the whole complexion of the game changes because he is taking off from a DE spot and disrupting everything.....after making his read if it is going to be run or pass (he stays put if he reads run to his side and seals the OT in)....he had 2 tackles and pressured a pass...then they started going the other direction.  The game ended with Brett chasing around the qb for a sack.  The Div II coach comes over to me and says "God I wish I had Brett on my team"....I said you know that is interesting because his coach doesn't think much of him for some reason.  We go to the coach after the game and ask for the transfer.  I told it wasn't a personal thing just that Brett didn't appear to be in his plans and the other coach had use of him.  This friggen coach had the balls to look at us and say "sure I will release him....trade me your starting running back and he is all yours".....that was the end of that discussion.

- They decided to make him a backup backup fullback (playing behind 2 coaches sons) one of them should have been playing QB (but they had to make room for another coaches son there....since he couldn't do anything else)....the other one had Barry Sanders moves and a 10 cent finish...meaning he kept fumbling, couldnt' catch, and wouldnt' block.  Meanwhile Brett is sitting on the scout team RUNNING OVER STARTERS.....with the backup offensive line......it was not uncommon to see the scout team beat up on the starting defense in practice....he wasn't fast but it would literally take a pile of kids to get him on the ground.  So about 3 weeks into I go to the coach and I ask him why son is getting 2 plays a game.

- He doesnt fumble?  "It doesnt matter he is too slow"

- He always gets positive yardage "it doesn't matter he is too slow"

- He can actually catch "it doenst matter he is too slow"

- Now comes what pretty much is the ending point....we are playing a team with all of 2 wins all season (we only had 3) the fullback ahead of brett gets hurt and comes out of the game....up to this point our offense looks like the lakers defense this year.....mistakes mistakes mistakes......dropped passes.....fumbled balls.....missed tackles.....five that is right FIVE INTECEPTIONS from daddy's coach son who is good for at least 3 ever friggen game.  But with 4 minutes left to go we are down by 6.  My son goes into the game at fullback......we are at our own 40 ish yard line.  We run a running play to the outside.....Brett decleats the linebacker to that side and the RB gets the corner.....all the way to the 10 yard line....the next play is a pass play.....a linebacker guesses the snap count right and gets through untouched at the line.....but Brett is back in pass protection and stands him up.....the QB throws lob that probably should have been picked off but it does come down in a receivers hads......unfortunately the receiver is in the grasp of the safety and even though he was churning his feet it looks like his momentum is going to be stopped.....Brett comes from where he was....IN BLITZ PICKUP....and knocks the safety off the receiver who WALKS INTO THE ENDZONE......After numerous congrats by the coaches to the one that threw the ball and the one that caught the ball......they kick the extra point.....which was missed.......tied with less then a 2 minutes left to go.  We kick off and they get ball to midfield....they try 4 straight pass plays and turn the ball over on downs.....what does this friggen coaching staff do?

a.  THey took my son out and put the othe FB back in.  That dad coach COULDN"T WAIT to get his kid back into that game....I cannot imagine why?

b.  They friggen get cute and throw a homerun throwup by pass.....only the FULLBACK DROPS THE DAMN BALL....it is now a lateral....and you guesse it the oppposing defense picks up the ball and runs it for a touchdown.  They kick the extra point.....WE LOSE

Brett grabs his gear and doens't even bother to wait for the end of game bull@hit talk from the coaches or his after game snack.....and starts to leave the field.  One of the coaches gets PO'd at him.....(Daddycoach for QB) but Brett just ignores him and keeps going.  I meanwhile am waiting for my son on the edge of the field and notice that this coach is following Brett telling him to turn around....Brett isn't even acting like he is there (and by the way..he has NEVER done anything like that before and I am there for every practice) Brett passes me and I tell him to just keep going to the truck.  Now this fricken coach thinks he is going KEEP following him and I step in the path. 

"I think he is done for the day coach"  "why dont we just let everyone cool off"

"he needs to get back out here with his team.  We win as a team and we lose as a team"

"So...this is his team?  Should he consider himself a part of the team?" "I mean come on dammit 2 fricken plays?

"Look my son isn't happy about the loss either...you dont see him throwing a fit"

"Your son just threw 5 picks and come Monday will be right back under center.....I would think he would be thrilled"

Realizing that this talk was going was going down a road to which he had no answer for.....here comes the standard talk line "you know the rule....we dont address these types of things right after games because our emotions are talking for us...you have to wait until Monday"

"Exactly...so WTF are you doing out here off the field"

299218[/snapback]

No offense here John but if your kid is that good, I've never seen a coach who wouldn't put that kid on the field. The way you talk, and I've seen you do this before, is that your kid seems to make some kind of spectacular play every time he's in the game or practice period.

Red Flags go up here immediately. The seriousness that you take observing this kid at only a pee wee level is kind of disturbing. Most of the time, kids have no idea what they are doing, and are just running around crashing into each other. But you are actually explaining things he is doing like your breaking down an NFL show.

#2, I probably think your kid is getting screwed, and that your view of your own kid is also off. So, the problem is somewhere in the middle most likely. Most likely, your kid is getting the shaft for not being in a click, and he's also not as good as you think he is.

Most of the time, that's what really goes on. The only reason I wrote this, is because I see both sides.....I'm an assistant director of a Parks and Rec Dept, and also am a high school coach, with NO kids on any teams.

Bottom line is this.......you say your kid is actually that good.......you also say you are at every practice.........you also say you know a ton about football........this seems simple to me........coach next year, and quit making excuses. All youth leagues need coaches....no better way to throw in another voice for the kids who aren't in clicks and should be on field.

No offense here John but if your kid is that good, I've never seen a coach who wouldn't put that kid on the field.  The way you talk, and I've seen you do this before, is that your kid seems to make some kind of spectacular play every time he's in the game or practice period. 

Red Flags go up here immediately.  The seriousness that you take observing this kid at only a pee wee level is kind of disturbing.  Most of the time, kids have no idea what they are doing, and are just running around crashing into each other.  But you are actually explaining things he is doing like your breaking down an NFL show.

#2, I probably think your kid is getting screwed, and that your view of your own kid is also off.  So, the problem is somewhere in the middle most likely.  Most likely, your kid is getting the shaft for not being in a click, and he's also not as good as you think he is. 

Most of the time, that's what really goes on.  The only reason I wrote this, is because I see both sides.....I'm an assistant director of a Parks and Rec Dept, and also am a high school coach, with NO kids on any teams. 

Bottom line is this.......you say your kid is actually that good.......you also say you are at every practice.........you also say you know a ton about football........this seems simple to me........coach next year, and quit making excuses.  All youth leagues need coaches....no better way to throw in another voice for the kids who aren't in clicks and should be on field.

299235[/snapback]

Interesting that you say that VA.....because I have volunteered my time to help coach both last year and this year.....I dont what is going to happen yet this year but LAST year (which is the source of most of the problems) they WOULDN"T LET ME COACH.....nor help out on the staff of the team......I dont think they like my honesty on how youth sports are meant for all the kids...not just a chosen few. They have high school to find out what it is like to be cut at this level they should all be playing as long as they show up to practice and try hard. The click doesn't like that kind of talk at all.

This is what I am talking about when it comes to these little clicks....these groups know each other....barbaque together.....go do things together.....I have made a effort to get to know (but I wont kiss ass....and neither will my wife) them.

It also stems from the way the teams are being made up.....the first 2 years the HC and most of the coaches had no kids on the team......everything was wonderful.......

The last two years were daddy coaches....and there have been problems.

It is also interesting when measuring his skill.....because as far as the click is concerned....speed is everything....it doens't matter if you wont block, cant catch, fumble, etc etc.

BUT...I also blame myself....because I have kept quiet and not rocked the boat about what was really going on for the sake of the kids and the league........

I will give you a point in case....the year before last my son played junior pee wee football and was a two way player at offensive tackle and defensive end....the defensive line coach had a son but he was off at some sort of boxing camp all summer long and missed all of hellweek and the preseason.  My son was playing the Left D End spot.  His kid comes in after all the sweat work had been done with the team.  I didn't think anything of it at the time...my son was kicking but at his spot and was in the backfield making tackles and getting sacks pretty much all the time.

The following monday at practice we find out that my son had been demoted....and the coaches son put in his place.  I didn't like it but I didn't say anything....two things happened:

- Coaches son then decided he was going to rub it in Brett's face that he got his spot....now keep in mind that he never actually earned it.  This didn't go on for very long because Brett was putting his face in the turf on every play as he played the OT spot opposite him.  But no one....NO ONE said anything about the kids mouth or the situation.....dont want to rock the boat.

299006[/snapback]

BEEN THEIR DONE THAT with my son ...clicky little town`s same as my son ..lead little league iand teener league in home run`s bat`s over 500 !1st round pick for allstar`s ..place`s in junior ol ympic wrestling every year state qualifier in wrestling team mvp ..makes 1st team in district ...tri- county and all state 2nd team in football ...but on all-star`s in baseball sit`s for coaches kid`s one kid makes allstar team with one hit during the year ..one freaking hit ?? high school pricipal`s kid..well any way this kid want`s to be the high school ..fullback ..5`7 185 ..guess what ..it`s his ..the samepoition my boy has alway`s played and has alway`s excelled at ^foot 210 benching 340 sohpmore year so my boy get`s stuck at rt tackle were they run 80% of play`s and l-de for 3yrs ..well her e comes this stud boy out for wrestlingat my boy`s weight with wrestle off open to the public on a fri -night in the high school gym in front of every one including coaches ...well little bambi went home with a sore neck and weepy eye`s after about 20 second`s in a headlock ..payback`s are hell :lol:

click

Ok, I can't take it anymore. It's clique, not click...

def: clique - a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons;

def: click - to strike, move, or produce with a click

Sorry, it was driving me nuts.

CW

Ok, I can't take it anymore.  It's clique, not click...

def: clique - a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons;

def: click - to strike, move, or produce with a click

Sorry, it was driving me nuts.

CW

299276[/snapback]

LOL, this is the best part about this thread. For the life of me, I couldn't think of clique, and even almost spelled it cliche. lol So, I just went with click, cuz I knew everyone would understand.

This was seriously bugging me, so thanks!

I'm not kidding!

My kid had a coach that completely turned him off from football.

He had started in three seasons before he went to high school always on defensive line. He went out for freshman team and surprisingly he was a made a starter as an offensive guard.

The first two games were fine, the team won and everything was fine. The head coach loved him, but the offensive line coach was a nutbag. The guy was high strung and very vocal. There were games where the head coach would spend time calming down the offensive line coach. We were even penalized for unsportsman like conduct based on this guys yapping. He would ride all the guys, not just mine, but he would really rip these kids.

One day my son came home from practice and said he was demoted, I didn't get upset, and my son was not pissed since the pressure was off him for a week. At the pre-game they are going through the plays and walk throughs, I see the nutbag coach looking over his notes and then he calls out my kids name and says, "you're starting"! I felt kinda relieved, but then I thought about the other kid, who since Tuesday has been thinking he was the starter.

My kid played the whole game, came out for maybe two plays. The remainder of the season pretty much went the same way, benched tuesday, or wednesday, but come saturday he is starting. The kid was on a rollercoaster. All he had to look forward to was that when he got to JV he would be free from this guy.

Fast forward to next season. When he went to the first practice, there is nutbag, waiting for his line from last year, he had been promoted.

My kid went through the first practice, and it was his last, he never went back knowing that this guy would be on him a whole nother season.

I mentioned it to someone else, they said the guy was the a decent guy, but that's the only way he knows how to motivate, I was pissed because I really enjoyed watching him play.

. The head coach loved him, but the offensive line coach was a nutbag. The guy was high strung and very vocal. There were games where the head coach would spend time calming down the offensive line coach. We were even penalized for unsportsman like conduct based on this guys yapping. He would ride all the guys, not just mine, but he would really rip these kids.

299282[/snapback]

Carl Mauck ??

Yes, but if those parents stopped playing video games, then the violence in the country would decrease because video games are the root of all evil.  :lol:

CW

298867[/snapback]

[/sarcasm].

I still love ya man! :P

I got to thinking about this after I went home.....

I really dont want to sound like a complete nutcase.....I just care about my kids and so this is a sore spot with me....I am the same way with my daughter and her singing.....at 9 years old the girl can sing the national anthem better then a lot of people you see on TV....yet she has a music teacher that bitches about her every chance she gets because she is a daydreamer and should be singing music "closer to her age"....she sang the theme song to Titanic at one of her grandfathers church events the other day that would bring tears to your eyes.....she looks and sings like an angel.....

Oh...back to youth football jerkoff coaches.....

The two things above all else that get my hair up.....

- All of the kids....ALL OF THE KIDS....pay the exact same amount to the league (and it isn't cheap) to be able to play JAAF football...it is even more expensive for Pop Warner......I for the life of me dont see how these coaches get away with playing their kids the whole game and other kids 2 friggen plays.....especially given the work that is involved for all the kids. Practices are 4 days a week two hours a day. A parent must be there in case their kid gets hurt (amazing how the click...I mean Cliche.....i mean...:lol: manage to get together to trade off being their for ALL that group of kids......

The other thing is.....we live in fricken Southern California were it gets HOT.....I can name at least 4 games out of our schedule where my son was telling me afterwards their were kids complaining about the heat on the field and wanting to come off for a rest.....WTF

In my opinion these coaches were just paranoid that if they let their kid off the field...the backup would do just as well or better........that sounds horrible....but I beleive it to be the truth......

Anyway....my kid is taking one more stab at it.....he has worked his tail off to get stronger and faster I just hope that he has a good experience this year.......

I got to thinking about this after I went home.....

I really dont want to sound like a complete nutcase.....I just care about my kids and so this is a sore spot with me....I am the same way with my daughter and her singing.....at 9 years old the girl can sing the national anthem better then a lot of people you see on TV....yet she has a music teacher that bitches about her every chance she gets because she is a daydreamer and should be singing music "closer to her age"....she sang the theme song to Titanic at one of her grandfathers church events the other day that would bring tears to your eyes.....she looks and sings like an angel.....

Oh...back to youth football jerkoff coaches.....

The two things above all else that get my hair up.....

- All of the kids....ALL OF THE KIDS....pay the exact same amount to the league (and it isn't cheap) to be able to play JAAF football...it is even more expensive for Pop Warner......I for the life of me dont see how these coaches get away with playing their kids the whole game and other kids 2 friggen plays.....especially given the work that is involved for all the kids.  Practices are 4 days a week two hours a day.  A parent must be there in case their kid gets hurt (amazing how the click...I mean Cliche.....i mean...:lol: manage to get together to trade off being their for ALL that group of kids......

The other thing is.....we live in fricken Southern California were it gets HOT.....I can name at least 4 games out of our schedule where my son was telling me afterwards their were kids complaining about the heat on the field and wanting to come off for a rest.....WTF

In my opinion these coaches were just paranoid that if they let their kid off the field...the backup would do just as well or better........that sounds horrible....but I beleive it to be the truth......

Anyway....my kid is taking one more stab at it.....he has worked his tail off to get stronger and faster I just hope that he has a good experience this year.......

299379[/snapback]

Who ever said "it's supposed to be for fun" is lying thru their teeth! I've seen parents who lose their cool and freak out at the coach (oftentimes justifiably) only to have their kid ultimately pay the price with even less playing time. I've seen firsthand how some coaches won't pick a particular kid at tryouts (no matter how good he is) simply because of the parents. It pays to bite your tongue in the long run, lest you get a reputation for being 'difficult', and your kid is the one who suffers..

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that they are only required to give each kid a minimum of two plays. It's awful I know, but I think that's how it is in my step-son's little loop football league. As far as the money you invest (and I can tell you I'd be living in a bigger house if my son didn't play hockey year round!), it's all about winning with most coaches. They have extremely large egos. In hockey, a third or fourth liner isn't going to get nearly as much icetime as a first or second liner. Doesn't mean they get to pay less. There is no such thing as equal time for all players. Besides you're not going to be thinking about how much it all cost in 20 years when you're looking at his football pictures.

I'm glad he's not giving up, and I hope you'll get a better coach this time around. My son had a horrible travel coach last year and the year before, and came within a hair of walking away from hockey for good. He gave it another shot when he tried out for high school and all it took was one good coach to turn it around for him. Now it's all he talks about.

It doesn't get easier as they get older. It gets more competitive. What I tell my son is just to do the very best he can and to treat his position like it's his job and give 110% every time he steps on the ice because there will always be someone coming up behind him and trying to take his job, especially in high school. I think it stopped being about "fun" when he was about 8 years old! But hey, there's no place else I'd rather be.

Who ever said "it's supposed to be for fun" is lying thru their teeth!  I've seen parents who lose their cool and freak out at the coach (oftentimes justifiably) only to have their kid ultimately pay the price with even less playing time.  I've seen firsthand how some coaches won't pick a particular kid at tryouts (no matter how good he is) simply because of the parents.  It pays to bite your tongue in the long run, lest you get a reputation for being 'difficult', and your kid is the one who suffers..

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that they are only required to give each kid a minimum of two plays.  It's awful I know, but I think that's how it is in my step-son's little loop football league.  As far as the money you invest (and I can tell you I'd be living in a bigger house if my son didn't play hockey year round!), it's all about winning with most coaches.  They have extremely large egos.  In hockey, a third or fourth liner isn't going to get nearly as much icetime as a first or second liner.  Doesn't mean they get to pay less.  There is no such thing as equal time for all players. Besides you're not going to be thinking about how much it all cost in 20 years when you're looking at his football pictures.

I'm glad he's not giving up, and I hope you'll get a better coach this time around. My son had a horrible travel coach last year and the year before, and came within a hair of walking away from hockey for good.  He gave it another shot when he tried out for high school and all it took was one good coach to turn it around for him.  Now it's all he talks about. 

It doesn't get easier as they get older.  It gets more competitive. What I tell my son is just to do the very best he can and to treat his position like it's his job and give 110% every time he steps on the ice because there will always be someone coming up behind him and trying to take his job, especially in high school.  I think it stopped being about "fun" when he was about 8 years old!  But hey, there's no place else I'd rather be.

299526[/snapback]

We do have some hope for this season......the coaches that wanted to draft him last year to play center (and were told they would have to give up the starting running back to get a transfer...can you BELIEVE that?) will be the coaches for this years Midget team. These guys also go to the same gym I do....and they see my son in there working out with me and have stopped to talk to us loving the dedication he is showing.

Regarding the 2 play rule.....I personally think that the 2 play rule is abused. I think that is meant for either

a. Kids that are not showing discipline, not listening, or not showing up for practice

or

b Kids that are not ready to step on the field without getting hurt. And there always seem to be some every year.

I dont think that 2 play rule should be made in order to say....OK....the coaches kids have played 3 quarters and 5 minutes......lets throw everyone else out there now and make sure they get their plays....I think that is absolute crap. The other question I have in that situation is what do you do as a coach should one of your kids get hurt? You haven't coached anyone up to play behind them because they are counting butterflies over on the bench........

When my son was starting....(and this seems like a long time ago even though it was only the year before last) if we had a lead he would go over to the coach and say he was tired and could he play his backup....which the coach obliged with no retribution. He didn't have to worry about losing his starting spot because the coach knew damn well he wasn't really tired...just a good team player.....

Who ever said "it's supposed to be for fun" is lying thru their teeth!

It's supposed to be fun for the kids, even if the parents don't like it.

Some of these stories remind me of why I quit playing organized sports when I was young. I experienced all of the same issues on my teams; those never change. Those things didn't bother me so much, if and when they happened. I got over it and enjoyed what I could of the rest. The reason I quit was because a parent made it such a miserable fuggin experience that it was no longer fun.

It's not a job, it's a game your kids play. Some folks appear to believe they're managing a professional.

Yes, but if those parents stopped playing video games, then the violence in the country would decrease because video games are the root of all evil.  :blink:

CW

298867[/snapback]

That's interesting Fez because I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching the Looney Toons on Cartoon Networks Boomerang. ( I love that station, all the classic cartoons from my childhood) One thing that was interesting to me is that all this violence is blamed on tv and video games. We didn't have these problems when I was growing up and the cartoons were just as bad or worse. Watch Elmer Fudd and how many times he shoots Bugs Bunny or Yosimite Sam. Bullets are always flying and nobody gets hurt. Look at the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote.... I think the violence was very bad then but we were taught right from wrong and the differences between tv and reality. Sorry for the rant but Fez's line made me think of it.

Some of these stories remind me of why I quit playing organized sports when I was young. I experienced all of the same issues on my teams; those never change. Those things didn't bother me so much, if and when they happened. I got over it and enjoyed what I could of the rest. The reason I quit was because a parent made it such a miserable fuggin experience that it was no longer fun.

It's not a job, it's a game your kids play. Some folks appear to believe they're managing a professional.

299795[/snapback]

CAWingnut....

You wouldnt believe the manuvering and politics that goes on behind the scenes on this stuff either.....

I remember my sons second year.....the QB of last years team (the unbenchable one) was also on that team. The coach we had that year was a good one....and everyone played. But he wanted to have 2 QB's to do different "situational" things instead of letting this kid start. His parents through a fit (one of them is now a asst coach that seems to sneak onto all these teams) and they basically broke all the rules regarding parent conduct and started browbeating the coach on the field after practice.....

The coach was honest with them....he said that while there son had some mobility he was not a very good decision maker at that point and he had real durability issues (meaning he got hurt on every hit) so what they wanted to do was pair him up with another QB who was smaller, a good arm, tough, and basically didn't scream at his offensive line after every play.

The parents were furious.....and even though he did get that team to the playoffs with everyone having a role he was not asked back the following year....

This made me angry.....I liked that coach...he was tough but fair.....kinda looked like a hispanic Bill Cowher.......

My son moved on to the Div 1 group at the next level.....the QB went to the Div II....and from what I heard his parents basically took over the team. Didn't bother me then because we didn't have to deal with it....UNTIL the following year when he showed up on our team.

CAWingnut....

You wouldnt believe the manuvering and politics that goes on behind the scenes on this stuff either.....

I remember my sons second year ... The coach we had that year ... This made me angry ... I liked that coach ... from what I heard his parents basically took over the team ... Didn't bother me then because we didn't have to deal with it ... UNTIL the following year when he showed up on our team.

Oh, I believe it. Like I said, it's always gone on, and always will. My point was I was still able to enjoy myself playing the game.

I guess I should have been more specific in my first post about a parent making it a miserable experience. It was one of my parents, not someone else's.

My father was my assistant high school football coach. It sucked. I got ridden more than anyone else on the team because I knew he didn't want to come off as being easy on me and hard on anyone else. Yes, I started but we only had 25 players on my HS football team. A lot of us, including me, played both ways.

The simple answer? Don't allow coaches to have their children on their teams.

299856[/snapback]

I TOTALLY agree.....and if our league came out with that rule and then approached me asking if I would still like to coach...then I would. I would just ask that I get moved to a team that doesn't conflict game times with my sons so I could watch his games.....

My father was my assistant high school football coach. It sucked. I got ridden more than anyone else on the team because I knew he didn't want to come off as being easy on me and hard on anyone else. Yes, I started but we only had 25 players on my HS football team. A lot of us, including me, played both ways.

299862[/snapback]

That is also a unfortunate side effect of having a parent coach you.....I have coached my sons basketball teams and I also have to restrain myself from being too critical on him......

Then you have the coaches that go entirely the other way and dont give a crap about what anyone else things. The QB I have been talking about and his father are prime examples. This coach has been literally kicked off of the staff on 2 of the teams I have played on.....yet always finds his way back into the group. The funny thing is that I have actually NEVER seen him coach....anything

No offense here John but if your kid is that good, I've never seen a coach who wouldn't put that kid on the field.  The way you talk, and I've seen you do this before, is that your kid seems to make some kind of spectacular play every time he's in the game or practice period.  

Red Flags go up here immediately.  The seriousness that you take observing this kid at only a pee wee level is kind of disturbing.  Most of the time, kids have no idea what they are doing, and are just running around crashing into each other.  But you are actually explaining things he is doing like your breaking down an NFL show.

#2, I probably think your kid is getting screwed, and that your view of your own kid is also off.  So, the problem is somewhere in the middle most likely.  Most likely, your kid is getting the shaft for not being in a click, and he's also not as good as you think he is. 

299235[/snapback]

I'm glad somebody posted this.

I also don't discount the strong possibility that the kid might be getting screwed, but it's quite humorous/disturbing reading a serious post describing a pee-wee kid who does everything short of breaking down opponents' tendancies in the film room - and I think even that was hinted at during the "blitz pick-up" segment.

299795[/snapback]

Of course its fun, when you're happy in your situation, great memories are made and loads of fun can be had. But it can also be extremely serious, like when your team makes it to finals or advances to states. You don't see anyone on the bench laughing and joking. They're not having 'fun', they're dead serious, they're watching the clock and the score. They have a goal all season long and there's no greater joy than having something to play for at the end of the season. When they're playing for all the marbles and they win, its unbelievably awesome. If they lose, you'll see more than one kid standing there with tears streaming down his face. Losing is never fun, but thats a part of the game.

You're right, it is a game but when you play a game and you're on a team, your 'position' becomes your 'job'. If you don't do your 'job' or if someone ese outplays you and does it better it's no longer 'your' job or your 'position'. Its survival of the fittest and it can be very cut-throat. It happens at all levels and not just to 'professionals'.