*2024 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

Maurice Linquist needs to be fired. UB Bulls football are looking at needing a total rebuild. So there is no point keeping Maurice Linquist who is 14-21 with two games left on the season after three years. UB Bulls have no quarterback on the roster so they are going to have to go to the transfer portal. My solution since UB Bulls football has no money is hiring UB alum Joe Licata as both head coach/athletics director of UB.

Hoping UB Bulls football hits lightning in a bottle. Since Joe Licata is a local maybe he stays 20 years to build a real MAC football program at UB that is good long term. Again it starts with hiring someone that will stay and being honest with Western New York community we are a MAC program that doesn’t have the support for a higher conference. Starting with the truth to the Western New York fans will go a long way with building trust from UB athletics. Last point I have a hard time understanding why UB athletics doesn’t lobby the state for money for renovations to UB stadium. The Buffalo Bisons owner Rich products whose owner is a multi billionaire is asking for state money to renovate Sahlen’s Field that has more going for it than UB Stadium. I don’t understand UB the schools reluctance to ask the state for money for renovations for UB Stadium to remove the track the worse the state can say is no.

Again hope that Joe Licata is a Nate Oats hire is all I have. Combine the athletics director job to help with the money having to go out to buyout Maurice Linquist contract. Is my plan great? No there is risk reward but at this point UB has nothing to lose with Joe Licata because Maurice Linquist and Mark Alnutt are not the answer and have to both go combining the two jobs saves UB athletics some money in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:58 AM, May Day 10 said:

yeah. Licata sounds awesome.  Experience includes leading Timon to their all time worst records, and playing for UB.  Nice.  

Who are you realistically going to get that will come to UB for low salary? Because UB if they potentially fire Maurice Linquist has to buy him out of his UB Bulls contract plus hire a new UB Bulls head coach on top of the buyout of Maurice Linquist. Don’t forget UB Bulls football and UB Bulls basketball have major attendance issues so UB isn’t going to fire Maurice Linquist plus spend a lot of money for a new football coach. The story would be different if Western New York sports fans actually went to the UB Bulls games in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Who are you realistically going to get that will come to UB for low salary? Because UB if they potentially fire Maurice Linquist has to buy him out of his UB Bulls contract plus hire a new UB Bulls head coach on top of the buyout of Maurice Linquist. Don’t forget UB Bulls football and UB Bulls basketball have major attendance issues so UB isn’t going to fire Maurice Linquist plus spend a lot of money for a new football coach. The story would be different if Western New York sports fans actually went to the UB Bulls games in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I don't think the basketball team has attendance issues

• Dislike 1

On 11/18/2023 at 1:00 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think the basketball team has attendance issues

The UB Bulls basketball have attendance issues unless you think a lousy 2,500 fans is acceptable. The way the UB basketball team is playing they will end up worse record wise than UB Bulls football. George Halcovage coaches like a deer in headlights. You can see why so many schools passed on him. George Halcovage major mistake was going all young high school players with limited basketball experience. As St Bonaventure Bonnies coach Mark Schmidt said you aren’t winning in Division I basketball anymore with young inexperienced players. You get NIL money and the transfer portal something George Halcovage and UB Alumni don’t get. Enjoy 20 losses I think that is what UB basketball loses this season will be. If George Halcovage doesn’t use the transfer portal with NIL money like St Bonaventure Bonnies do today. If George Halcovage doesn’t do that next season he will fail at UB overtime that is the reality of Division I college basketball today. Yes UB Bulls basketball and UB Bulls football are that bad UB AD Mark Alnutt should be fired for all of this with UB athletics in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a low point not seen since before turner gill.  I know there were some bad times under that scam artist Quinn, and maybe liepolds first season... but it feels like the bulls are back in the dark ages.  Maybe the landscape of ncaa football has something to do with it.

There was a column years back by Bucky Gleason.  I know it was met with a lot of hate, but I thought it was thought provoking.  He said ub should close up the football program and triple down on basketball.  It makes more sense today.  I think wny could also get behind a nationally relevant college basketball program vs Mac football team playing at an abhorrent facility.

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This is a low point not seen since before turner gill.  I know there were some bad times under that scam artist Quinn, and maybe liepolds first season... but it feels like the bulls are back in the dark ages.  Maybe the landscape of ncaa football has something to do with it.

There was a column years back by Bucky Gleason.  I know it was met with a lot of hate, but I thought it was thought provoking.  He said ub should close up the football program and triple down on basketball.  It makes more sense today.  I think wny could also get behind a nationally relevant college basketball program vs Mac football team playing at an abhorrent facility.

Have you seen UB basketball lately? To be fair it's year one of George Halcovage, who we hired from Villavova. He ought to be a decent coach but right now it's pretty ugly.  However the women's team, under Becky Burke, is 3-1. The transfer portal is killing schools like UB. We don't have an NIL fund like other schools do. So it's harder to recruit good players, and if someone you recruited gets good, they can leave. Sure, UB can drop everything down to FCS, D2 or even D3, but how embarrassing is it for a flagship state university not to be able to compete at D1?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Have you seen UB basketball lately? To be fair it's year one of George Halcovage, who we hired from Villavova. He ought to be a decent coach but right now it's pretty ugly.  However the women's team, under Becky Burke, is 3-1. The transfer portal is killing schools like UB. We don't have an NIL fund like other schools do. So it's harder to recruit good players, and if someone you recruited gets good, they can leave. Sure, UB can drop everything down to FCS, D2 or even D3, but how embarrassing is it for a flagship state university not to be able to compete at D1?

But with maybe double or triple the resources they can compete a bit more?

Not really clear on the economics and landscape of ncaa basketball.  Football seems like a hapless landscape for Mac teams now.  The Mac has essentially been turned into 1-aa now for football.

If they can churn out a basketball team who is consistently around the top 30, and maybe making a good run every now and then, and have no football, I'd take that.  Could probably build a local, non-student fan base too as we don't have a pro team

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t even think if UB athletics pooled all there money towards basketball and the Big East Conference if that Big East Conference is going to be what it is now with what is potentially coming in the next five years with the Power 4 Conferences for now being in a separate NCAA classification including taking the NCAA Basketball Tournament. So if this happens regardless the Gonzaga’s, St John’s, Georgetown and Connecticut Huskies are getting left behind by the Power 4 football schools. So there is no halfway Division I athletics anymore. There are reasons why schools like Cincinnati, Houston ran to the Big 12 Conference making the full financial commitment. UB Bulls basketball is going to the way of the Western New York Little Three basketball schools weather they like it or not. 5,000 UB fans at UB Alumni Arena isn’t getting to a Power Conference. Syracuse Orange will be lucky if the ACC isn’t raided or defections like potentially Florida State and Miami leaving the ACC.

Unfortunately Buffalo just isn’t a major college sports town anymore. Buffalo missed the boat after the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and the Big East Conference formation in 1979 none of the Little Three Schools were invited using Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. St Bonaventure Bonnies should have been invited but unfortunately Buffalo business and political leaders don’t lobby the whole Western New York area like other cities do there areas. This isn’t a new thing Buffalo has been like that for a very long time unfortunately. If St Bonaventure Bonnies get into the Big East Conference in 1979 maybe things would have been different. It’s too late now the money is too big and our Big 4 programs are too small time to ever be something great long term. I am not sure it even matters because Syracuse Orange can be in the ACC but they will always be second rate now as the money is getting too big for a small city like Syracuse with few major companies to raise NIL to pay the players. Syracuse is never going to have Ohio State, Michigan and USC money so at the end of the day just enjoy what the MAC is and what the UB Bulls offer now in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I don’t even think if UB athletics pooled all there money towards basketball and the Big East Conference if that Big East Conference is going to be what it is now with what is potentially coming in the next five years with the Power 4 Conferences for now being in a separate NCAA classification including taking the NCAA Basketball Tournament. So if this happens regardless the Gonzaga’s, St John’s, Georgetown and Connecticut Huskies are getting left behind by the Power 4 football schools. So there is no halfway Division I athletics anymore. There are reasons why schools like Cincinnati, Houston ran to the Big 12 Conference making the full financial commitment. UB Bulls basketball is going to the way of the Western New York Little Three basketball schools weather they like it or not. 5,000 UB fans at UB Alumni Arena isn’t getting to a Power Conference. Syracuse Orange will be lucky if the ACC isn’t raided or defections like potentially Florida State and Miami leaving the ACC.

Unfortunately Buffalo just isn’t a major college sports town anymore. Buffalo missed the boat after the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and the Big East Conference formation in 1979 none of the Little Three Schools were invited using Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. St Bonaventure Bonnies should have been invited but unfortunately Buffalo business and political leaders don’t lobby the whole Western New York area like other cities do there areas. This isn’t a new thing Buffalo has been like that for a very long time unfortunately. If St Bonaventure Bonnies get into the Big East Conference in 1979 maybe things would have been different. It’s too late now the money is too big and our Big 4 programs are too small time to ever be something great long term. I am not sure it even matters because Syracuse Orange can be in the ACC but they will always be second rate now as the money is getting too big for a small city like Syracuse with few major companies to raise NIL to pay the players. Syracuse is never going to have Ohio State, Michigan and USC money so at the end of the day just enjoy what the MAC is and what the UB Bulls offer now in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Don't get it twisted Buffalo has never been a major college sports town

It is not comparable to college station or Auburn Alabama or Ann arbor

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Dislike 1

I am talking about college basketball yes Buffalo at one time was a big time college basketball town who played a power basketball schedule from 1940 when Buffalo Memorial Auditorium first opened until the early to mid 1970’s. Buffalo Memorial Auditorium Little Three Basketball, MSG CCNY and St John’s and Philadelphia Big 5 was major college basketball. Professional sports in Buffalo put a end to that with the Buffalo Bills in 1960. But before the Buffalo Bills it was Little Three basketball mafia because that is what was king sports wise in Buffalo it’s a fact. I am not talking college football. I am talking college basketball Buffalo was once a big one. Schools came by railroad to Memorial Auditorium and MSG they were marketing actual game basketball’s together in game programs. Canisius College basketball was huge in the 1950’s. As was St Bonaventure and Niagara. Of course that is when the Buffalo East Side was also huge with major department stores that all eventually left for the suburbs. Read Buffalo’s history and as you do you will start to understand why Buffalo Super Fan has zero belief our local Western New York area leaders today know what they are doing. UB Alumni Arena isn’t a major college basketball arena. The last major college basketball arena Buffalo had was Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. Key Bank Center host NCAA Tournament games for now yes I know. But Key Bank Center is a terrible basketball arena it’s a big reason why Buffalo couldn’t sellout Kentucky and Syracuse when it opened because Key Bank Center has terrible sight lines for college basketball. When the Buffalo Sabres raised the hockey capacity to 19,000 from the 16,500 or so from the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium and totally botched the seating bowl not just hockey but basketball the sight lines are even worse. If you are in the 300’s at Key Bank Center you mind as well be at home because there is no atmosphere with the lower 100’s and 200’s in the 300’s like the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo! Happy Thanksgiving