Matt Jones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People scream at the idea of Drafting one of the greatest Kickers in the history of college football ( Nugent )... but are willing to draft a guy in Round 2, with no experience at his projected position, based strickly on potential.  :huh:

I'm rooting for the guy to make it but we have some glaring needs to be filled. If we were one of those teams with extra picks in the draft, then I could see the gamble.

295920[/snapback]

The bigger question, to me, becomes...if we indeed get Shelton, then is our OL really set, or do we need a bit more depth?

The bigger question, to me, becomes...if we indeed get Shelton, then is our OL really set, or do we need a bit more depth?

296174[/snapback]

If we got Shelton, I'd still focus on finding an OC if not for this year, then 2006. Bass or Spencer in the 2nd round. If they are gone, Jason Brown or Ben Wilkerson in the 3rd round.

Eric Crouch is but a phone call away...

296160[/snapback]

I don't think it's fair to compare Matt Jones to Eric Crouch.

First of all, Crouch never ran a 4.3 40. Crouch wasn't 6'6". Crouch couldn't pull off any of these freakish numbers that Jones is pulling off.

And most importantly, Crouch was not initially recruited to his college AS a WR like Jones was.

If we got Shelton, I'd still focus on finding an OC if not for this year, then 2006. Bass or Spencer in the 2nd round. If they are gone, Jason Brown or Ben Wilkerson in the 3rd round.

I completely disagree. Teague isn't the best Center in the league, but he is nowhere's near the worst either. With Shelton at LT, Bennie at LG, and Gandy for some more added depth; there's no need for anymore lineman.

We have Ross Tucker, Mike Gandy, Lawrence Smith, Ben Sobieski, Dylan McFarland, and everyone's favorite project; Jason Peters on top of our starting OL. We may even resign Marcus Price. How many O-Lineman do you need?!

I'd feel a whole hell of a lot more comfortable with Teague at Center than someone who's never played on a pro line. And if you drafted Spencer or Bass, then what would you do with Teague? Cut him?

At that point we'd only have two people on the starting line returning from the year before. Talk about throwing any chemistry that McNally created last year right out the window!

Again, I completely disagree.

I don't think it's fair to compare Matt Jones to Eric Crouch.

First of all, Crouch never ran a 4.3 40. Crouch wasn't 6'6". Crouch couldn't pull off any of these freakish numbers that Jones is pulling off.

296227[/snapback]

He'll only be 6'6" until the first time he goes across the middle against an aggressive safety. There's a reason REALLY tall WRs are an exception to the rule. They've got alot of rib cage to shoot at.

He'll only be 6'6" until the first time he goes across the middle against an aggressive safety.  There's a reason REALLY tall WRs are an exception to the rule.  They've got alot of rib cage to shoot at.

296242[/snapback]

You could say this about any of the rookies coming out.

ANYBODY the Bills draft will be a risk. But the upside on this one would be too good to pass up. He's realistically the best guy to help out our offense, who might be around at our pick.

I would love to see us draft someone like Matt Jones.  I don't think it's going to happen.  We already have one freak that we are trying to place, I don't think that TD will want another.

A freak with a 6'6" frame and 4.3 speed? Hell give me some of THAT! He's supposed to have good hands as well. What's so hard about telling him to go deep and catch whatever comes his way? It's not like DB's will be able to jam him.

He'll only be 6'6" until the first time he goes across the middle against an aggressive safety.  There's a reason REALLY tall WRs are an exception to the rule.  They've got alot of rib cage to shoot at.

296242[/snapback]

never send him down the middle. he could be our goal line guy. have JP roll out and let the defenders decide who they want to go after, the jump ball beast in the corner of the Endzone, or the cool cat running gracefully toward you with the ball ready for lobbing.

I like the thought of a D pondering how to defend this.

Honestly, i'm starting to think so.

As more and more time goes by, it looks like Travis for Shelton and a flip flop of our 2nds will get done. That with the current addition of top available guard Bennie Anderson and Mike Gandy for depth, our OL is set.

So what we need is another target for J.P.; another X-Factor if you will. I feel like we're in the same position here in 2005 that we were in when we drafted Willis in 2003. We're approximately $6.5 million under the cap (according to John Clayton). Our OL is set. We have our backup QB and a rocking defense.

Why not draft a guy who can be our Jeremy Shockey? A guy who could line up in the slot and keep up with Evans. A guy who can play #3 on our QB roster. He ran a 4.39 in the 40, has a 39 1/2" vertical jump, and a 10 foot 6 long jump! His stock has risen from a second day pick, to no lower than the 2nd round.

I know people are going to want to say, "We lost Pat Williams" or "We have no depth at CB with Vincent at Safety". But these are similiar complaints to that which were heard when we drafted Willis. I remember everyone ready to commit suicide when TD drafted him and now everyone's praising him as a god. We're $6.5 million under, there's still DT's out there and there will be more when 6/1 comes along. As for CB, we need a guy who can play #3. We can easily get that in a later round. Who knows? Maybe Ty Law will come here after all (Flame away!).

With a top pick in the 2nd round (from AZ), I think there would be no better selection than Matt Jones. With Moulds, Evans, McGahee, and someone with the upside of Jones there at J.P.'s disposal; things couldn't be better!

295378[/snapback]

All that is great, but can he kick make field goals over 45 yards??? :lol:

never send him down the middle. he could be our goal line guy. have JP roll out and let the defenders decide who they want to go after, the jump ball beast in the corner of the Endzone, or the cool cat running gracefully toward you with the ball ready for lobbing.

I like the thought of a D pondering how to defend this.

296731[/snapback]

If I'm the defensive coach I sit my physical safety in two deep and dare them to throw the lob. I tell my safety to completely ignore the ball and put his forehead through the telephone pole's sternum. You might not have to defend it more than once. :lol:

Watch that bears tape on Matt Jones. He has some sick dunks and he makes and amazing leaping one handed catch. Oh yeah he runs a 4.37 40 at the combine. The dude has jets! He is an athletic, fast, strong Harold Carmichael

Watch that bears tape on Matt Jones.  He has some sick dunks and he makes and amazing leaping one handed catch.  Oh yeah he runs a 4.37 40 at the combine.  The dude has jets!  He is an athletic, fast, strong Harold Carmichael

296817[/snapback]

Perhaps he should run at least one NFL pass route before being compared to an NFL great. Call me crazy.

If we got Shelton, I'd still focus on finding an OC if not for this year, then 2006.  Bass or Spencer in the 2nd round.

296207[/snapback]

In answering LA's question, I agree completely with Labatts outlook for round 2. If either Baas or Spencer are available, they'd be hard to pass on. The only 2 Centers who could start immediately, whether you needed them to or not. Baas can also start at Guard. Teague is in the last year of his contract, I believe.

Still, history shows you never know with the Bills. They were checking out DT Attaj Hawthorne of Wisconson. Could be a CB, with the Clements situation in mind.

If I'm the defensive coach I sit my physical safety in two deep and dare them to throw the lob.  I tell my safety to completely ignore the ball and put his forehead through the elephone pole's sternum.  You might not have to defend it more than once.  :lol:

True, because Jones would be in the hospital, and the safety would be throw-out of the game, if suspended for a few games. TSW isn't the ONLY thing trying to become "kindler and gentler."

If I'm the defensive coach I sit my physical safety in two deep and dare them to throw the lob.  I tell my safety to completely ignore the ball and put his forehead through the telephone pole's sternum.  You might not have to defend it more than once.  :lol:

296815[/snapback]

I'm a little confused as to where we're going with all this, "Safety pegs Jones" talk.

You should have seen the kid in the Senior Bowl. Take a look at the tapes from the link above. If you're going to make that argument with him, you can make it with everyone else too.

I'd even go as far as saying that if it looks like he won't be around, trade up! There's gotta be a team out there who will take say our 2nd (AZ's 44th), 4th, and maybe a later round pick in next years draft to move up to an earlier spot in the 2nd or even one of the last 5 in the 1st.