Melvin Gordon will hold out and demand a trade from LAC without a new contract

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yeah, I suppose it isn't really a tough situation for the Chargers. More a pain in the rear. They just don't have a viable backup right now the way Pittsburgh did.

He has been trending up since his awful rookie year. Top five back this past year, but the injury concerns are there, lots of new talent coming up on his tail, and you may never see him get the workload that Gurley or Zeke get. Maybe he doesn't even think he'll deliver in his contract year? 

I entirely disagree that LA doesn't have a viable backup plan like the Steelers did... no one knew for sure what James Conor was going to be before this year.  

On the flip side the Chargers have Austin Eckler who started games, and last year as the #2 and spot starter went or 554 Yards, 3 TDs, and 39 catches for for 404 yards and another 3 TDs... in perspective, he had more rushing yards, receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TDs than LeSean McCoy last year as a backup.  Eckler could step in and start for at least 10 teams in the NFL including the Chargers.

Gordon is WAY over playing his hand, and with Eckler on the roster, I could see the Chargers deciding to try and move him rather than pay him if he refuses to report all year.  But that said I don't see him going full on Bell... Bell didn't get what he was looking for in FA by holding out.  Gordon is better off reporting and playing the game for more money than sitting out and over playing his hand like Bell did. 

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The leverage is basically, pay me or watch your super bowl chances disappear.  Not that he's the biggest piece of the chargers - its kind of a call your bluff situation. 

Ekeler is fine, but he tends to not look as solid when its just him playing.

That’s the difference between him and Zeke. The chargers can win without him. They are better with him, but I don’t think he’s the difference between SB or no SB. 

5 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I entirely disagree that LA doesn't have a viable backup plan like the Steelers did... no one knew for sure what James Conor was going to be before this year.  

On the flip side the Chargers have Austin Eckler who started games, and last year as the #2 and spot starter went or 554 Yards, 3 TDs, and 39 catches for for 404 yards and another 3 TDs... in perspective, he had more rushing yards, receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TDs than LeSean McCoy last year as a backup.  Eckler could step in and start for at least 10 teams in the NFL including the Chargers.

Gordon is WAY over playing his hand, and with Eckler on the roster, I could see the Chargers deciding to try and move him rather than pay him if he refuses to report all year.  But that said I don't see him going full on Bell... Bell didn't get what he was looking for in FA by holding out.  Gordon is better off reporting and playing the game for more money than sitting out and over playing his hand like Bell did. 

Justin Jackson is another guy to keep an eye on. He was ultra productive in the Big 10. Ekeler is a better receiver but i think JJ has more upside to be the next “James Conner”

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

If he is going to try the Bell route he will need to be on roster by game 11 so he can collect a year of seniority; if the Chargers insist (they should) he will also need to pay all of the fines.  Now at that time of year Chargers might not have cap room if they have had a number of injuries and may just choose to release him preventing him from getting that seniority.