RIP Lee Iococca (mildly belated)

Passed away July 2, 2019. Former Ford exec and Chrysler chairman.  A guy that most either loved or hated.  Rubbed a lot of fur the wrong way at Ford including Henry Ford II.  Lead the team that developed the Mustang and also had a large hand in developing the Pinto which had its failings.  Mini-vans and K-Cars for Chrysler.  Was the Chrysler pitchman at a time when execs did not do such things.  Chrysler took a lot of bailout money at a time when a number of giant industrial concerns were floundering including Ford and International Harvester.  Buffalo was not spared as Bethlehem Steel was failing at this time.  Thanks Rico for bringing this to our attention in the Arte Johnson thread.

Edited by RochesterRob

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Also took a salary of $1 when the company was close to bankruptcy when he was asking employees to make sacrifices.

He also repaid his Government loan 7 years early.  Never liked his "K" cars but can't dispute his success with the early Mustangs.

13 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

He also repaid his Government loan 7 years early.  Never liked his "K" cars but can't dispute his success with the early Mustangs.

His "K" car saved my life. Officer told me engine slid down which prevented my death.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

So how did you abuse the car to be in that situation?  K cars were ugly!  They looked like the box they came in.

First time I ever drove in summer after rain.  I hydroplaned on the oil which comes out of the road in those circumstances. Tried pumping brakes, even hand brake and could not stop in time. In emergency with multiple injuries whose remnants remain to this day.

Edited by Limeaid
typo.
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

First time I ever drove in summer after rain.  I hydroplaned on the oil which comes out of the road in those circumstances. Tried pumping brakes, even hand brain and could not stop in time. In emergency with multiple injuries whose remnants remain to this day.

...CERTAINLY glad you're ok despite the residual effects.......his timing was right relative to the 1979 energy crisis, selling over 2 million of them......they were hardly a bastian of safety features nor was his Pinto.....the Mustang lives on today......he was an icon as was DeLorean who was responsible for the Pontiac GTO and the brand becoming performance related.....two of my favorite industry icons and both are now gone......two favorite lines attributed to Lee:

(1)......... "If you can find a better vehicle, buy it".....

(2)..."lead, follow or get out of the way (used by others also)"........