Water Levels in Great Lakes Keep Rising

16 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I remember touring this place in college as a field trip for a power generation and distribution class. 

northfield-mountain-hydroelectric-station

It’s a pump storage facility. 

An impressive piece of engineering. 

It’s not far from UMass, my undergrad alma mater (I are enjinear)

You are really a clone!

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Here is a link to math solutions which happen to include some on what it takes to create energy.   Not for everyone but I found it interesting. 

https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/11/pump-up-the-storage/

I was looking for the capacity of the reservoir at the power plant, which I found at the link below.  What I never realized is that they pump water up to the reservoir at night to store energy.  I had always thought it was just to store water at the level of the upper Niagara River.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses_Niagara_Power_Plant

And thanks for the book idea.

That's true about pumping at night.  Many years ago, because of that, Niagara Mohawk wanted to charge customers for "off peak" usage.  Pay less 0200-0600.  That never really caught on but maybe would have made sense.  That reservoir's been there about 60 years.  Ever seen/heard of any leaks?

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

This does not make sense to me.  If the water from the Upper river flows over the falls or around the falls through the power intakes, it still raises the level of Lake Ontario, which in the end determines the level of water in the lower river.

He was speaking directly to the issue with the boats in the Niagara River. The more water that is diverted above the falls at the intakes doesn't get put back in the river until Lewiston.

11 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He was speaking directly to the issue with the boats in the Niagara River. The more water that is diverted above the falls at the intakes doesn't get put back in the river until Lewiston.

Thanx... I didn't think the outfall was that far down river.  What does the whirlpool look like at high water... Is it better, same or any less cool looking?