The laughable folly of abstinence education

Just curious. What works better to prevent teen pregnancy than abstinance?

I think you should educate kids on how all the plumbing works, go through all the serious consequences of pregnancy, i.e., becoming a teen parent, and the ramifications of that. Talk about all methods of birth control. And even explain how abortions work... and how they burden many women's conscience. But that's just crazy old JA, who believes that information is good for people, even kids.

I just found out that my daughters 3 best pre-school friends are going to public school. She loves them dearly, but I cannot bring myself to put her education in the hands of the whims of government officials. One day it's teach kids about my two mommies/. The next it's teach only absitinance. The next it's sight reading. The next it's phonics. And on and on, depending on the wind.

Now let's have a liberal start thread about how the government isn't pushing abstinence education on the African continent and that's leading to the incredible spread of AIDS there.  Oh wait, we've already had that.

294077[/snapback]

That's TOTALLY different cuz...........well.........hmmmm. You know why it's just different.

Now let's have a liberal start thread about how the government isn't pushing abstinence education on the African continent and that's leading to the incredible spread of AIDS there.  Oh wait, we've already had that.

294077[/snapback]

I was referring more to this country rather than a different continent.

Besides, and this is so obvious that even someone such as yourself should have known better before posting, the issue in Africa is far more socio-economic than sexually charged. How you can compare the two is fundementally handicapped.

Just curious. What works better to prevent teen pregnancy than abstinance?

I think you should educate kids on how all the plumbing works, go through all the serious consequences of pregnancy, i.e., becoming  a teen parent, and the ramifications of that. Talk about all methods of birth control. And even explain how abortions work... and how they burden many women's conscience. But that's just crazy old JA, who believes that information is good for people, even kids.

I just found out that my daughters 3 best pre-school friends are going to public school. She loves them dearly, but I cannot bring myself to put her education in the hands of the whims of government officials.  One day it's teach kids about my two mommies/. The next it's teach only absitinance. The next it's sight reading. The next it's phonics. And on and on, depending on the wind.

294075[/snapback]

Stressing "abstinence" in sex education is just setting up kids for sexual neurosis later on down the line. To deny a person's "sexuality" (particularly a womens) is weird and isn't much different from living in a one of those Islamic states we purportedly went to war for.

But that in a nutshell is the weird dichotomy of the right these days; do we spread our "sexual" culture and "freedom" abroad for fun a nd profit......

....or.....

...do we wipe out any vestiges of Janet Jackson's saggy boob at home.

Why can't the Right have both?

Oh yeah by the way John Adams I'm the father of an 8 year old daughter so I cannot dismiss your concerns because I share some of them as well.

I'm just concerned with the theocratic elements poking into issues that are more or less a matter of personal choice. I'm hoping you can agree.

My mother's generation advocated abstinence too (she was raised a strict Roman Catholic).

It was so effective she had 5 kids in 8 years. However, she was at least married.

Of course it's true you can't get pregnant if you abstain completely, but the issue these days with teenagers is just what you expect: they'll do everything else BUT ... and end up with STD or AIDS.

This society apparently reveres those who push the envelope so what do you expect kids to do? They know hypocrisy when they see it. They can't spell it, perhaps, but they can recognize it.

Stressing "abstinence" in sex education is just setting up kids for sexual neurosis later on down the line.

294290[/snapback]

That's the latest in a long line of really wacked statements by you. It's actually OK for people to deny their primal urges. It's why I don't commit homocide when someone cuts me off in traffic. It's why I'm monogomous. It's why I don't abandon my retarded relatives. I deny my primal urges because it makes rational sense.

Abstinance is the BEST option for children. No disease. No pregnancy. That's why it should be stressed. God. Is this so hard?

Egads man. I'm really all for a full education, but it makes total sense to me that you would emphasize the best solution for children.

Not to let your first statement be your "doozy," you moved on to say:

To deny a person's "sexuality" (particularly a womens) is weird and isn't much different from living in a one of those Islamic states we purportedly went to war for.

Que?

Discussing abstinance as the best way to stop pregnancy and disease is like living in the middle east? WTF? This is so whacked I can't really respond.

And further, who is saying that it's just girls who should abstain? Boys should too.

I'm just concerned with the theocratic elements poking into issues that are more or less a matter of personal choice. I'm hoping you can agree.

294295[/snapback]

I share that concern, but stopping kids from having sex is a pretty universally accepted thing to teach kids. The best solution, abstinance, is a good thing to emphasize.

I share that concern, but stopping kids from having sex is a pretty universally accepted thing to teach kids. The best solution, abstinance, is a good thing to emphasize.

294346[/snapback]

My point is, and I wish you'd explain to me how this is "whacked" (whatever the hell that means. ghetto argot circa 1989), is that the representatives of the radical evangelical Right in this country wants it both ways. They want to sell and make a profit off of our pop culture climate of promiscuityand harmful objectification.....yet they went to tell every citizen what is spiritually right for them.

I was referring more to this country rather than a different continent.

Besides, and this is so obvious that even someone such as yourself should have known better before posting, the issue in Africa is far more socio-economic than sexually charged. How you can compare the two is fundementally handicapped.

294276[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. Only Americans have sex for fun. It's because we don't have anywhere near the number of entertainment options the Africans do.

The scary thing about you is you seem to actually believe the twisted garbage you post.

Stressing "abstinence" in sex education is just setting up kids for sexual neurosis later on down the line. To deny a person's "sexuality" (particularly a womens) is weird and isn't much different from living in a one of those Islamic states we purportedly went to war for.

But that in a nutshell is the weird dichotomy of the right these days; do we spread our "sexual" culture and "freedom" abroad for fun a nd profit......

....or.....

...do we wipe out any vestiges of Janet Jackson's saggy boob at home.

294290[/snapback]

Hey, welcome back.

Are you going to start all over about how much you love freedom, and then come out (like a dictatorial liberal) FOR the smoking ban in bars, or will you ever NOT parrot the stance of every leftist yuppie? :)

Abstinance is the BEST option for children. No disease. No pregnancy. That's why it should be stressed. God. Is this so hard?

Abstinence is the best option - but the "abstinence pledge" isn't doing the job. You won't get pregnant from anal & oral but STDs will still hit hard. But hey - many untreated STDs can make a person sterile so that will help reduce unwanted pregnacy.

And if you are doing anal are you really a virgin? Better start calling kids vaginal virgins.

From the link:

Among virgins, boys who have pledged abstinence were four times more likely to have had anal sex, according to the study. Overall, pledgers were six times more likely to have oral sex than teens who have remained abstinent but not as part of a pledge.

ingnoring abstinence as part of a sex education curriculum on the basis that some will have sex anyway is like not teaching math to them since not all will grow up to be engineers.

a well-rounded sex education course will include all the usual reproductive biology, but there's nothing wrong with showing children the myriad ways that their lives will be nearly ruined by becoming teenage parents.

it also wouldn't hurt to stress that a woman's right to choose actually begins with their decision to keep their panties on. if they choose to ignore that advice, then there's no one to blame but themselves. when teens ingulge in 'adult' activities, they need to realize that such activities usually carry 'adult' consequences.

it also wouldn't hurt to stress that a woman's right to choose actually begins with their decision to keep their panties on. if they choose to ignore that advice, then there's no one to blame but themselves. when teens ingulge in 'adult' activities, they need to realize that such activities usually carry 'adult' consequences.

295697[/snapback]

Yes, God forbid we teach personal responsibility in this country.

>>>>Overall, pledgers were six times more likely to have oral sex than teens who have remained abstinent but not as part of a pledge.<<<<

So why not take a time out to thank your hero....Bill Clinton?

295592[/snapback]

Clinton signed an abstinence pledge?

Or are you saying that kids who sign abstinence pledges lean more towards the thinking of him over someone more conservative?

but there's nothing wrong with showing children the myriad ways that their lives will be nearly ruined by becoming teenage parents.

Most of them are "getting" that. According to my son, that's why so many are having oral and anal sex - birth control.

No matter what new deal us adults come up with - aren't they one step ahead of us?