Sporting News ranks all 32 NFL coaches for 2019

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It seems that way but I don’t know if it’s true.  They were top 10 in penalties and have gotten destroyed in numerous games.  Honestly, McDermott is pretty whatever to me.  I think he is a good defensive coach who will need a good OC and qb to carry him (like most coaches). Can’t say I’m a fan of his 2 OCs choices but hopefully I’m wrong about Daboll. 

Seriously, why?  I mean things could change but you’re completely underselling the job Lynn is doing.  McDermott inherited a team that went 15-17 the 2 years before him.  He is 15-17.  

Lynn inherited a team that went 9-23 in the 2 years before him.  He has gone 21-11 in his 2 years.

so other than Lynn doing much better with a team that was much worse before him, I see your point. 

Small point but telling I think, is that the San Diego roster was significantly upgraded pound for pound throughout Lynn's 1st 2 years (e.g. Bosa, anyone?) whereas the cupboard for McD was tossed overboard, barren, after year 1 (the reasons why has been the subject of plenty of other threads). I think McD has had to make pizza pie out of a lack of dough, although that's obviously changed for this year, and the comparisons from here on out would be more comparable, imho. 

5 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I really could care less about where McDermott is ranked as I think he is a good coach

However how in the hell do you rank adam gase over anyone.

In theory, I would have Gase and McDermott ranked the same.  Same record, both made the playoffs.  I actually think they would be a good team.  But Gase is number ranked in the weirdo rankings. 

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Small point but telling I think, is that the San Diego roster was significantly upgraded pound for pound throughout Lynn's 1st 2 years (e.g. Bosa, anyone?) whereas the cupboard for McD was tossed overboard, barren, after year 1 (the reasons why has been the subject of plenty of other threads). I think McD has had to make pizza pie out of a lack of dough, although that's obviously changed for this year, and the comparisons from here on out would be more comparable, imho. 

He helped create the holes.  There is some narrative that McBeane inherited the 0-16 Browns.  There was plenty of talent on the roster. 

And the bigger point is the Chargers were one of the worst teams in the nfl before Lynn.  He deserves a lot of credit. 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In theory, I would have Gase and McDermott ranked the same.  Same record, both made the playoffs.  I actually think they would be a good team.  But Gase is number ranked in the weirdo rankings. 

He helped create the holes.  There is some narrative that McBeane inherited the 0-16 Browns.  There was plenty of talent on the roster. 

And the bigger point is the Chargers were one of the worst teams in the nfl before Lynn.  He deserves a lot of credit. 

Don't misunderstand me BTW, I am not saying Lynn is a terrible coach by any means, or doesn't deserve any credit for what he's done so far out West. I just didn't think that it was an apples to apples comparison from a purely roster/talent standpoint their first 2 years side by side. I would definitely agree that going forward it's much more similar than not, on paper at least. 

Just to continue this topic a bit longer on McD... good interview with Ken Dorsey today in the Athletic.  Below are the first two paragraphs of the article.  He's certainly responsible for the coaching that he hires and approach to the depth chart.  Even if Beane made the move to trade McCarron, McD should have insisted on having some more experience at the QB position to help the two young players, especially after the BIG draft move of moving up to pick Allen at #7, with a bunch of capital moved to get him.

Until we see that better product on the field, he should be ranked lower, rather than higher among coaches.  This will be a big year

https://theathletic.com/1004274/2019/05/31/qa-with-ken-dorsey-the-bills-quarterbacks-coach-on-his-philosophy-and-what-he-sees-in-josh-allen/

The Buffalo Bills entered last season with two quarterbacks, one a rookie, the other a sophomore with two NFL starts. Yet as thin as the depth chart was on experience and, as such, in critical need of qualified wisdom, the Bills’ quarterbacks coach was a novice, too.

David Culley taught only wide receivers in the NFL before Bills head coach Sean McDermott put him in charge of the sport’s most important position in 2017. Culley hadn’t handled quarterbacks since he was at Southwestern Louisiana 30 years earlier. With new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll initially calling plays from the press box, in-game guidance was, well, the opposite of maximized.

Edited by cage

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree they would be a good team, each others weaknesses seem to be the others strengths

As pure coaches id rank them similar but ranking head coaches McDermott is head and shoulders above gase in my opinion, and McDermott has a lot to prove yet

In my opinion one of the best head coach attributes is the ability to organize, create consistency and stability, in Miami Gase struggled with that and as we have seen already with the Jets he is struggling again

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Like (+1) 1