RIP BIlly Buckner

DC Tom

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

As a long time Red Sox fan, the Billy Buckner incident was always just one more cross to bear, among many others.

You got numb and desensitized to that sort of thing over time and began to almost expect that things wouldn't go right, ever.

Then the Red Sox went from being a really stupid organization with racist personnel practices to a really smart, shrewd organization without them,  and they started winning world championships.

When they did, all of the Billy Buckner, or "F-ing Bucky Dent incident" type anguish went away almost immediately for me.

It only took 1 world series to do it, too.  And none of the other WS championships have meant 5% of what that first one did as a fan.

It's a really interesting case study as a Bills and Sabres fan too.

There are a million parallels between the classic Red Sox franchise and both Buffalo sports teams. 

Will the Bills or Sabres ever turn the corner and become of the shrewdest teams in the league?  

don't forget the comeback with Aaron Boone's walkoff

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

during the Kison/George Bell karate kick brawl Buckner kicked the Jays aged pitching coach when the old man was on the ground, i was 10 rows up on the sidelines at The Ex enjoying one of the more noted games of the era in 1985....

the 86 WS infamy could not have happened to a nicer guy  :D

but hey, all is well, his appearance on Curb was a great and grand gesture, and he helped the 74 Dodgers get to the WS.

RIP Sir....

Snippet from an acquaintance of mine today:
"Passing of Bill Buckner, Boston Red Sox Player"...Bill and I were High School rivals. He played for Napa H.S. and I Sir Francis Drake H.S. I remember a very contentious basketball game our senior year during the "Drake Christmas Basketball Tournament". He and I matched up at the center position. Our "rough play" almost got us thrown out of the game. I'm not sure who won the game but after the game he and I shook hands warmly...knowing we brought out the "best" in each other. He was also a great football player...<snip>...I would sneak away from track practice to watch him play against Drake's Baseball team that senior year...he was such a dominate great player! RIP Bill...

37 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Snippet from an acquaintance of mine today:
"Passing of Bill Buckner, Boston Red Sox Player"...Bill and I were High School rivals. He played for Napa H.S. and I Sir Francis Drake H.S. I remember a very contentious basketball game our senior year during the "Drake Christmas Basketball Tournament". He and I matched up at the center position. Our "rough play" almost got us thrown out of the game. I'm not sure who won the game but after the game he and I shook hands warmly...knowing we brought out the "best" in each other. He was also a great football player...<snip>...I would sneak away from track practice to watch him play against Drake's Baseball team that senior year...he was such a dominate great player! RIP Bill...

the AL East was very intense, from Toronto's perspective, basically from 1983 through 1993, things got very heated during that time, that game was one for the ages in anger on the field and in the stands.  It was easily topped by the playoff game against Texas a few years ago with the catcher's throw off the bat and Bautista's theatrics on the home run for the bloodthirsty mob.

Amazing how the game changes from sheer boredom to this much bad mood in a second... :D

And another great player from my childhood, right through University is gone...  :(

International cable came out in Cheektowaga around the blizzard...WGN carried the Cubs games in the afternoon,me and my buds would go inside to watch on summer afternoons ..he charmed Wrigley up with Kingman.Caray loved him.Batting title and a gentleman.

RIP Mister Buckner...you played the game well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Nintendo was waaay better

nowawdays i'd tape and get through the Mookie at bat in about 80 seconds watching only the live action

The Nintendo was brilliant.

You gotta watch the full inning to catch all the great Scully lines.

’The Oil Can.  At least for the moment, looks like he has tomorrow off.”

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

was there ever a a worse display of a sad sack attitude and posture fulfilling itself?

Classic case of the moment being too big for the man.  You can see it on his face.  

Yet another horrible managerial decision was bringing him back out to lose game 7.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Best thing Scully did after that play is say NOTHING. Some events speak for themselves and commentary is counterproductive.

same with Kirk Gibson's walk off on Eck

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The Nintendo was brilliant.

You gotta watch the full inning to catch all the great Scully lines.

’The Oil Can.  At least for the moment, looks like he has tomorrow off.”

Classic case of the moment being too big for the man.  You can see it on his face.  

Yet another horrible managerial decision was bringing him back out to lose game 7.

Oil Can was all he seemed cracked up to be out there, an excitable lad, Stroman for the Jays has this jittery thing as well, hope it isn't the yayo in any form 

Schiraldi was total garbage with the Cubs and BoSox, he couldn't throw a strike and batters would swing at total garbage to bail him out, the Mets were not a team to take walks gladly

I miss Straw's swing for the fences....

Don't worry, I watched the whole thing, Joe Garigiola's  comment about Barrett's concern on D positioning had to be dubbed in later, right?  way too much of a harbinger...

On 5/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, TakeYouToTasker said:

Buckner was one of my all-time favorites.

Wild statistic:  he never struck out three times in a game.

To put that in perspective Tony Gwynn did it once, Ichiro 22 times, and Adam Dunn did it 179 times (all-time leader).

Yes.

Adam fell half a year short (169 Ks) of Thome and a bit more behind Reggie's historic leadership

those "never did it" stats seem self serving, like the way Wilt or Moses flaked off on D when they got their 5th foul so they wouldn't get DQ'd.