Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I always liked Baker. He is good at concisely describing a prospect's strengths, weaknesses and attributes. He used to be on WGR fairly regularly. I haven't heard him on the station in quite a while. Is he on another station or doing his own podcast? 

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I always liked Baker. He is good at concisely describing a prospect's strengths, weaknesses and attributes. He used to be on WGR fairly regularly. I haven't heard him on the station in quite a while. Is he on another station or doing his own podcast? 

He writes for The Athletic now, and has done a couple podcasts recently -

Here-

http://moranalytics.com/ep-121-kris-baker-plus-john-wick-3-movie-review/

and here -

It doesn’t seem like he’s been updating his Sabresprospects site much anymore though, which is why I was so excited to see he posted his draft preview there. 

Edit - btw, re:Baker’s draft preview - I’d be all about drafting Spencer Knight if by some chance he was still on the board at #31. I’ve read in numerous places that some scouts are saying he could be the best US born goaltender ever. 

Edited by BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He writes for The Athletic now, and has done a couple podcasts recently -

Here-

http://moranalytics.com/ep-121-kris-baker-plus-john-wick-3-movie-review/

and here -

It doesn’t seem like he’s been updating his Sabresprospects site much anymore though, which is why I was so excited to see he posted his draft preview there. 

Edit - btw, re:Baker’s draft preview - I’d be all about drafting Spencer Knight if by some chance he was still on the board at #31. I’ve read in numerous places that some scouts are saying he could be the best US born goaltender ever. 

Thanks. I'll check out the link. From all reports a number of teams are targeting Knight. He should be gone before we make our second first round pick. 

I'm not sweating out who the Sabres will pick with their first selection. We'll be getting a good prospect regardless who is left on the board. ?

• Like (+1) 1

2019 NHL awards ballots from PHWA members

06/20/2019, 8:00am CDT

By The PHWA

LAS VEGAS — Since 1967, the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) has voted on six major NHL awards as well as end-of-season All-Star and All-Rookie teams.

For the second consecutive year, the PHWA is revealing the ballot of each individual voter in the interest of full transparency.

A total of 173 ballots were received.

Each individual vote can be viewed at the links below:

https://www.thephwa.com/news_article/show/1029866

Dahlin only got ONE 1st place Calder vote (from Bill Hoppe). That’s just crazy. 

I like that they are releasing the voting ballots. Getting to look over the votes gives you a better idea of the Homer’s and the guys who truly vote unbiased. It also helps show which writers actually know hockey and which don’t... lol. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks. I'll check out the link. From all reports a number of teams are targeting Knight. He should be gone before we make our second first round pick. 

I'm not sweating out who the Sabres will pick with their first selection. We'll be getting a good prospect regardless who is left on the board. ?

Yeah, I’d be shocked if Knight were still on the board at #31. I don’t see any way he’d make it past Carolina at #28. Both of their starting goaltender are going to hit UFA according to reports, and goaltending has been their Achilles heel for years now. 

I could even see Florida taking him at #13. 

And and I feel the same way about pick #7. It would be tough for the Sabres to screw it up this year. You could make a valid argument for any number of players at pick 7. It’s such a toss up this year. That’s why I’ve tried hard not to get too attached to any 1 player. The one guy (in that tier) I wanted least was Cozens, but Kris Baker kind of eased some of my worries and sold me on him a bit more in that draft preview. 

So unless the Sabres go way off board (which I doubt), I’m (pretty) confident that I’ll be happy with whoever they choose. 

Man I hope this isn’t true...

I think I’d be about done with Botterill if that was the return he got in a Ristolainen trade. Trading our best right handed defenseman for a cap dump and a middle 6 player would be a nightmare. 

And we’d be solving their cap problems for them on top of it (so they can sign their young stars), while also solving their hole at top 2/4 right hand D. 

There better be a hell of a plus added to the 2 pieces discussed above... I’d want Cernak or Cirelli.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Callahan’s career is likely over.

The only hockey game I've seen at MSG had him scoring the winning goal against the Sabres................I'm like damn, can't you spare your local team a break!  Rangers were in first and we were in the playoff race.  

• Like (+1) 1

Remember when I said yesterday that I was pretty confident Buffalo couldn’t mess up the #7 pick this year?  Well, about that...

?

It would have to be at pick #31, or a trade up into the teens/early 20’s.

Botterill did mention the possibility of using a player to trade up from pick #31. 

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Remember when I said yesterday that I was pretty confident Buffalo couldn’t mess up the #7 pick this year?  Well, about that...

?

It would have to be at pick #31, or a trade up into the teens/early 20’s.

Botterill did mention the possibility of using a player to trade up from pick #31. 

I think it was Darren Dreger who speculated that Nylander was being offered around. The selections for us isn't what is so captivating about this draft day gathering. We know the players who will be in the range with our first round pick. It is the deals that are going to be made or formulated in this forum so that in the not to distant future there will be more players shuffling around. According to Dreger Vancouver seems to be the most active team in trade talks. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think it was Darren Dreger who speculated that Nylander was being offered around. The selections for us isn't what is so captivating about this draft day gathering. We know the players who will be in the range with our first round pick. It is the deals that are going to be made or formulated in this forum so that in the not to distant future there will be more players shuffling around. According to Dreger Vancouver seems to be the most active team in trade talks. 

Hearing that Vancouver is very close to trading for Tyson Barrie (right handed top 4 D from Colorado). If they do you can take them out of the Ristolainen sweepstakes. 

Im fine with that. Rumor is something like Jake Virtanen + 2020 1st (that will probably have protections on it). That’s not nearly enough for me to want to trade Risto. 

Virtanen has never broke 30pts (iirc 25pts is his career high). He’s whickly approaching bust status. And the 1st is a mystery box. If it ends up in the teens in a weaker 2020 draft, you may not even get a top 6 player out of the deal.  If we trade Risto I want a proven asset or a top tier, can’t miss prospect as the main piece. You have to get good NHL players out of the deal. It can’t be a repeat of the ROR trade. 

Now there’s something to take pride in! lol