Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Looks like Trouba traded to the Rangers for pick #20 and a prospect.

That’s it? Better be a damn good prospect. 

Edit -

I’m usually never one of those guys who, after a player is traded, says “we couldn’t have beat that?”.

But.... We couldn’t beat That?! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Seemed like a light return. I don't know anything about the prospect.

Poink was an undrafted college free agent they signed in 2017. He’s ok. A 3rd pairing guy (maybe a #4 at best, but I see some people saying he may not have even made the Rangers team this season. Yikes!)

And the pick is Winnipeg’s that they traded the NYR to rent Hayes for a couple months (his right were already traded to Philly...lol)

There mist be issues with Trouba’s next contract or something. He’s been notoriously hard to negotiate with. That’s my best guess anyway. 

Seems like a terrible return for Winnipeg. If he signs long term in NY shortly, then I have no clue what Winnipeg was doing. 

Edit - I’m reading a lot of people saying he’s a 3rd pair defenseman

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow. Just... 

Jets cut their own throat, unless they know for sure Trouba has his sights set on UFA with a very specific destination in mind (Detroit? His hometown team). 

I think it has to be a UFA thing. Rangers taking a chance. At least the Jets don't have to worry they are getting little return on a future Conn Smythe winner :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow. Just... 

Jets cut their own throat, unless they know for sure Trouba has his sights set on UFA with a very specific destination in mind (Detroit? His hometown team). 

The Jets had no choice other than to ship him out for whatever they could get. Trouba is looking for a market value contract.  Winnipeg simply could not fit him in within their cap especially since they have other contracts on the team to address. Ehlers is a good player on their roster who might be available in a trade because of their cap squeeze. 

I'm hoping that Botts can make a deal with a cap stressed team or two for a second line player. We got that extra first round pick to work with. All teams are active in the market but it has been noted by many in the business that Botts is aggressively seeking deals. Let's get something done! 

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s it? Better be a damn good prospect. 

Edit -

I’m usually never one of those guys who, after a player is traded, says “we couldn’t have beat that?”.

But.... We couldn’t beat That?! 

The trade is only great for the Rangers if they sign him to a deal.  He's a one year rental who basically just got moved so the Rangers have the exclusive right to negotiate with him AND offer him an additional year on his contract.  If they can't sign him, they just dumped a first round pick for almost zero.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

The trade is only great for the Rangers if they sign him to a deal.  He's a one year rental who basically just got moved so the Rangers have the exclusive right to negotiate with him AND offer him an additional year on his contract.  If they can't sign him, they just dumped a first round pick for almost zero.

well, he is an RFA, not a UFA..so even in someone signs him to an offer sheet, say at $7.5 per year,they will get a 1st,2nd, and a 3rd, as well as the ability to match it...as the Rangers would have given up had they signed him to an offer sheet.( edit) think i get what meant now..he can still go to arbitration this year, get a 1 year deal, and be an UFA next year..hence the rental part!! Got it now

I dont understand all the rules, downside is he is arbitration eligible i think..which can complicate things a tad. Somewhat why I want Sabres to redo Samson post July 1..going to arbitration with him could get ugly.

Edited by plenzmd1

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

What it means is if we are salivating over Caufield we aren't the only team slobbering over this player. 

So, it's your belief that the team would trot out employees to publicly tout a specific player because they want the world to know that they covet him?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, it's your belief that the team would trot out employees to publicly tout a specific player because they want the world to know that they covet him?

You are missing the point. The players in the group after the top two from 3 to 10 are tightly bunched. Since six months ago Caufield has moved up from below the middle of the first round rated player to be a top 6-10 ranked player. The point I made is that most teams also rank him very high including those drafting ahead of us. There are no surprises and secrets about him and the other players in his grouping. The Sabre scout in his WGR analysis commented on all the players in the Caufield group. So he wasn't indicating who he favored. My point was that there is no guarantee that he will be on the board when we pick at the seven spot. 

Edited by JohnC

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are missing the point. The players in the group after the top two from 3 to 10 are tightly bunched. Since six months ago Caufield has moved up from below the middle of the first round rated player to be a top 6-10 ranked player. The point I made is that most teams also rank him very high including those drafting ahead of us. There are no surprises and secrets about him and the other players in his grouping. The Sabre scout in his WGR analysis commented on all the players in the Caufield group. So he wasn't indicating who he favored. My point was that there is no guarantee that he will be on the board when we pick at the seven spot. 

what cracks me up about  the NHL draft and all us board jockeys is realistically none have us have a clue about how these guys can play based on what we have seen.(outside @BillsFan4, that dude sounds like he knows his poop)..cause if anything we have seen some you tube highlights and maybe a few internationl trnys at best. All of this is just based Central Scouting, and what we have read, not what we have seen

Edited by plenzmd1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

what cracks me up about  the NHL draft and all us board jockeys is realistically none have us have a clue about how these guys can play based on what we have seen...cause if anything we have seen some you tube highlights and maybe a few internationl trnys at best. All of this is just based Central Scouting, and what we have read, not what we have seen

The one thing we do know is that whoever we draft, they should be given 8 years before they are expected to produce.  Nylander's 2024 should be decent for example.

• Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

what cracks me up about  the NHL draft and all us board jockeys is realistically none have us have a clue about how these guys can play based on what we have seen...cause if anything we have seen some you tube highlights and maybe a few internationl trnys at best. All of this is just based Central Scouting, and what we have read, not what we have seen

I'm not sure what your point is. Of course few of us board jockeys have the time to actually watch the players under review. The same limitations apply to other sports. And what compounds the challenge in hockey is the young age of those being evaluated. Where I disagree with you is that a sizeable number of the first round picks do in time become legitimate NHL players. I'm one of the least knowledgeable hockey people on this board. However, that doesn't mean that I lack common sense. If there are numerous draft sites that come to the same general evaluations then for me that is something to make a reasonable judgment from. 

Go back to the recent past number of drafts. You will observe that many of the high ranked players do turn out to be good players. There is an army of scouts who follow the prospects not only where they play in their leagues, colleges or wherever but also follow them in the international tournaments where you can make player comparisons. What's wrong with taking into consideration their evaluations? 

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Of course few of us board jockeys have the time to actually watch the players under review. The same limitations apply to other sports. And what compounds the challenge in hockey is the young age of those being evaluated. Where I disagree with you is that a sizeable number of the first round picks do in time become legitimate NHL players. I'm one of the least knowledgeable hockey people on this board. However, that doesn't mean that I lack common sense. If there are numerous draft sites that come to the same general evaluations then for me that is something to make a reasonable judgment from. 

Go back to the recent past number of drafts. You will observe that many of the high ranked players do turn out to be good players. There is an army of scouts who follow the prospects not only where they play in their leagues, colleges or wherever but also follow them in the international tournaments where you can make player comparisons. What's wrong with taking into consideration their evaluations? 

my point is exactly what you say..the NHL and baseball drafts are complete mysteries to guys like us..only way to see 98% of these guys plays is to   be in the arena. At least with NFL and BB, so many games on TV and tape, we can form our own opinions is all i was saying

Top 5 of the NHL draft might be the safest draft of all, even though drafting so young!

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

my point is exactly what you say..the NHL and baseball drafts are complete mysteries to guys like us..only way to see 98% of these guys plays is to   be in the arena. At least with NFL and BB, so many games on TV and tape, we can form our own opinions is all i was saying

Top 5 of the NHL draft might be the safest draft of all, even though drafting so young!

If you are a Sabre fan because of our historical futility and where we typically draft the draft does have more meaning for us than it does for the middle and upper echelon teams. The difference in hockey compared to some sports is that unless you are drafting at the very top the players you are picking will require more development time. That's another aspect of the draft that I find interesting (others don't) is in the player development. 

It might bore others but watching Mitts or Nylander or Pilot or Olaffsson or Borgen or Reinhart develop or not is an aspect of hockey that I appreciate very much. Because of the cap structure unless you have this youthful feeder system the team is not going to succeed. Big trades get a lot of publicity but the development of young players is the heart and soul for sustained success. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

?missing the point? I totally misread your post the first time through.  This time I'm blaming lack of coffee.