Why didn't we sign Jonathan Ogden & Orlando Pace?

It's so disheartening to see us go and try to upgrade our O-line. What did TD do this time? He did what? He went and got a huge guard that can only pancake people in run blocking? You got to be kidding? I'm so sick and tired of him! He has never made one good move since he's been here. This team stinks!

You get the picture. You know, some of you naysayers really make me laugh. Damn if you do and damn if you don't. I can't believe how many of you have been responding so negativitely. People have been crying that we let our LT go. Then we didn't sign this guy or that guy. Now, wait let me get this straight, we're complaining because we got a huge, smash-mouth, run blocking guard that was just recently a part of one of the best rushing yard seasons for a RB in the history of football?!!!

Another thing, please no more links to Ravens' message boards. Who cares what their fans think. They should be concerned with other issues on that team. The quality of the pass blocking of their FORMER guard should be the least of their worries. Bennie Anderson is a Buffalo Bill now and for the ones who don't like it, TOO BAD!

I agree to a point, but I don't totally discount what the Ravens' fans are saying. Living in the Baltimore area, I get to hear a lot of what goes on with the Ravens. Not just from a fan perspective, but from the team and the media as well. I don't think Anderson is a worthless pile of junk, but I also don't think he's on the way to Canton either. This seems like a decent move to add some depth, one that didn't break the bank either.

No, I'm not saying that we're on a mad Super Bowl run now. I just can't believe the griping that's been posted on some threads in reguards to a good,solid pick-up. Everybody has been waiting on a signing and now that we did one some people are still unhappy. It seems like you can't win.

No, I'm not saying that we're on a mad Super Bowl run now. I just can't believe the griping that's been posted on some threads in reguards to a good,solid pick-up. Everybody has been waiting on a signing and now that we did one some people are still unhappy. It seems like you can't win.

293201[/snapback]

Welcome to the Wall.... :o

I agree to a point, but I don't totally discount what the Ravens' fans are saying.  Living in the Baltimore area, I get to hear a lot of what goes on with the Ravens.  Not just from a fan perspective, but from the team and the media as well.  I don't think Anderson is a worthless pile of junk, but I also don't think he's on the way to Canton either.  This seems like a decent move to add some depth, one that didn't break the bank either.

293190[/snapback]

I'll reserve judgement on his pass blocking. In his 4 years, BAL has had 6 qb's, several dubious wr's, and a bias towards the run game. He might surprise under a more balanced offense and some consistency at the qb and wr positions.

what a remarkably ignorant post. Why didnt we do what, cut people till we had room to sign one EXHORBITANTLY priced tackle? Yeah that makes sense. We're gonna have Anderson at LG, Teague at LT and draft a C. If the trade goes through teague can stay put and Shelton is LT. The line is fine. Im sure youre also upset we didnt trade half our defense for Randy Moss cause our offense would have been great if we had him and moulds and evans. Come on. This move allowed us to take a non OL in the 2nd and pickup a backup in the 3rd.

Great point stuckincincy. The last couple of responses that I read of yours on other posts were right on the money. I'm impressed. And also just how much influence will McNally have on Anderson is yet to be seen. I'm really looking forward to this season!

Oops! I just saw your response Dr. Fong. I think we can all admit that. I'm sure we're not done yet either in retooling the line. We just need a little more patience.

what a remarkably ignorant post. Why didnt we do what, cut people till we had room to sign one EXHORBITANTLY priced tackle? Yeah that makes sense. We're gonna have Anderson at LG, Teague at LT and draft a C. If the trade goes through teague can stay put and Shelton is LT. The line is fine. Im sure youre also upset we didnt trade half our defense for Randy Moss cause our offense would have been great if we had him and moulds and evans. Come on. This move allowed us to take a non OL in the 2nd and pickup a backup in the 3rd.

293277[/snapback]

How is TIPSTER ignorant?

Seems as though you missed the entire point of the post and prolly shouldn't have replyed to it. :devil:

Great point stuckincincy. The last couple of responses that I read of yours on other posts were right on the money. I'm impressed. And also just how much influence will McNally have on Anderson is yet to be seen. I'm really looking forward to this season!

Oops! I just saw your response Dr. Fong. I think we can all admit that. I'm sure we're not done yet either in retooling the line. We just need a little more patience.

293286[/snapback]

Thank you for your kind words. But there are many here that know a whole lot more about the game than me!

McNally was the long-time OL coach of the B'gals (1980 - 1994). His lines in the '80's were tops. I came here in 1990, about when Paul Brown's son, Mike, took over and engineered a 12-year run of disaster. McNally left in 1994 when it was clear that Mike Brown was an idiot.

McNally's a plus for the Bills. So was Dick LeBeau, but that's another story.

The signing of Anderson leads me to believe strongly that TD is planning for the LJ Shelton thing to not go through. Especially with Green saying recently that he by no means is going to swap 2nd round picks with Buffalo. I think that the chances of LJ Shelton coming to Buffalo just dropped below 50%.

50% chance that Green will bend, 0% chance that TD will bend. Teague is a very good lineman, and if he was playing Left Tackle for Denver a few years back (one of the best lines in recent memory), he will do good in our system too.

Obviously we are going to be a RUN FIRST team... Teague will be very good at run blocking from the Tackle position (as he was with Denver).

Now we will be drafting a Center in the draft (one of the deepest at that position in recent memory). When we do, we will have quality depth, with a quality line.

L.J. Shelton is not needed now, so if TD does manage to get him that's a bonus, but it is not a necessity like a RB in Arizona is.

I agree to a point, but I don't totally discount what the Ravens' fans are saying.  Living in the Baltimore area, I get to hear a lot of what goes on with the Ravens.  Not just from a fan perspective, but from the team and the media as well.  I don't think Anderson is a worthless pile of junk, but I also don't think he's on the way to Canton either.  This seems like a decent move to add some depth, one that didn't break the bank either.

293190[/snapback]

Rich,

Not that I dont agree with what you are saying.....but wasn't there another offensive linemen that recently go released from the ravens that went on to do well with another team....I dont remember the name.....

The dirty little secret, of course, is that the OLine was playing significantly better in the second half of the season. We're Bills fans, and we have that Pavlovian instinct to constantly want to overhaul the line, when in fact, it was pretty darn solid after a few months of JM tutelage.

Not that it can't stand a little improvement, but it's not the disaster some make it out to be.

293190[/snapback]

NICELY PUT.......I totally agree with U my man....

Because Pace and Ogden are overpriced and we are maxed out with superstar salaries. Do you want to allow JP, Evans, or Willis to be squeezed out. Get used to below the radar signings of the Gandy and Anderson type.

Because Pace and Ogden are overpriced and we are maxed out with superstar salaries. Do you want to allow JP, Evans, or Willis to be squeezed out. Get used to below the radar signings of the Gandy and Anderson type.

293456[/snapback]

Am I the only one that read beyond the first paragraph of the post? Do the guy a favor and hear what he has to say before responding to him.

Am I the only one that read beyond the first paragraph of the post?  Do the guy a favor and hear what he has to say before responding to him.

293465[/snapback]

Welcome to the Wall... :devil:

Can we all at least agree that it's likely an upgrade of the LG position from last year?  Now if we can get Shelton, which would IMO even with losing JJ this offseason is starting to shape up.

293272[/snapback]

Bennie is definitely an upgrade from last year!!! The Bills can't afford to throw tens of millions of $$$$ to one person on the line. That's ridiculuous-save that for the skills players.

I guess I should apologize for the clarity of my post. Apparently I made a terrible stab at sarcasm. I never meant for us to REALLY sign Ogden and Pace. The point was that we had a really good addition to our team and people were unsatified and wanted something more. Sadly I'm coming to the conclusion that if we had a team of pro bowlers there still would be a segment of our fans who would be disappointed. The negative responses are either the result of trolls who are jealous of any improvement to our team or the pessimistic, never satisfied, kiss of death, speak just to be heard fan. If the Buffalo faithful should respond to such negativity it will only allow them to rear it's ugly head. From here forth I will no longer read or subject myself to such negative input on my beloved team. I encourage the faithful to do the same, maybe this way this type of poster will JUST GO AWAY.

I guess I should apologize for the clarity of my post. Apparently I made a terrible stab at sarcasm. I meant for us to REALLY sign Ogden and Pace. The point was that we  were unsatified and wanted something more. Sadly I'm coming to the conclusion that we had a team of  fans who be disappointed. The Buffalo faithful will only allow them to rear it's ugly  team. I encourage the faithful to JUST GO AWAY.

293749[/snapback]

Don't worry, we understand. :devil:

I guess I should apologize for the clarity of my post. Apparently I made a terrible stab at sarcasm. I never meant for us to REALLY sign Ogden and Pace. The point was that we had a really good addition to our team and people were unsatified and wanted something more. Sadly I'm coming to the conclusion that if we had a team of pro bowlers there still would be a segment of our fans who would be disappointed. The negative responses are either the result of trolls who are jealous of any improvement to our team or the pessimistic, never satisfied, kiss of death, speak just to be heard fan. If the Buffalo faithful should respond to such negativity it will only allow them to rear it's ugly head. From here forth I will no longer read or subject myself to such negative input on my beloved team. I encourage the faithful to do the same, maybe this way this type of poster will JUST GO AWAY.

293749[/snapback]

It was blatently obvious those who didn't read your entire post(or have the ability to grasp it)by the replies. As I stated earlier there was no need to flame you for the post. If people would have read the entire thing and not just the topic title or the first couple lines then we wouldn't be typing about this.

And, like we should worry about what the B'more Rimmers fans say about a player that dared to walk away?

Check back here again when Travis is in camp wearing the helmet with the red perturbed perverted birds on the earholes and find out what nice things fans say about a former player. Why, I might have a chime or two myself. :angry: Come to think of it, we've already had those discussions, haven't we?