Allen Sophomore Slump?

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is essentially a brand new offense this season.   It will take some time for all these new players to get comfortable with each other, and just as importantly, it will take some time for Daboll to figure out what they are capable of,  their strengths and weaknesses, and learn to game plan accordingly.   I'm glad our schedule is easier out of the gate (at least on paper) and gets tougher at the the end of the season when hopefully the O-line has had time to gel and the offense is clicking.

I sincerely appreciate all the work you put into your posts. Having said that, it SOUNDS like you may be creating a built in excuse in the event Josh doesn't take that leap.

When you look around the league, other QB's have taken a huge step forward with not only new players, but new coach's as well. He's got stability with the coordinator and the team has an entire offseason to "gel." Realistic expectations are 25+ TD's, 3500 yards passing and a completion percentage very close to 60. I don't think that's too much to ask. With a year of experience+an improved line+more reliable targets, that's the baseline IMO. It's all going to hinge on Allen's ability to improve his read/recognition skills and take the gimmie when that's the correct option. Teams are going to dare him to beat them with the short game and use a LB to spy. It's all going to be there for the taking. There's no questioning Josh's desire so fingers crossed.

19 hours ago, klos63 said:

It's not like Allen lit up the league last season. Isn't that required in order to 'slump' afterwords?

yeah. any kind of slump would be very ugly. because that would entail Less touch on the passes--and Less ability to read the field. 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is essentially a brand new offense this season.   It will take some time for all these new players to get comfortable with each other, and just as importantly, it will take some time for Daboll to figure out what they are capable of,  their strengths and weaknesses, and learn to game plan accordingly.   I'm glad our schedule is easier out of the gate (at least on paper) and gets tougher at the the end of the season when hopefully the O-line has had time to gel and the offense is clicking.

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I sincerely appreciate all the work you put into your posts. Having said that, it SOUNDS like you may be creating a built in excuse in the event Josh doesn't take that leap.

When you look around the league, other QB's have taken a huge step forward with not only new players, but new coach's as well. He's got stability with the coordinator and the team has an entire offseason to "gel." Realistic expectations are 25+ TD's, 3500 yards passing and a completion percentage very close to 60. I don't think that's too much to ask. With a year of experience+an improved line+more reliable targets, that's the baseline IMO. It's all going to hinge on Allen's ability to improve his read/recognition skills and take the gimmie when that's the correct option. Teams are going to dare him to beat them with the short game and use a LB to spy. It's all going to be there for the taking. There's no questioning Josh's desire so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind words.  

I don't make those points to lower expectations for Allen this season.  The last line of my OP is;

"Couple all that with our team friendly schedule this season and I think Allen has a great shot at a break out season."  (emphasis added)

My point was that it is going to take time for the offense to click with so many new pieces.  Both the players and the coaches will need some time to figure it all out.  That is not something that is unique to the Bills either.  It's common during the first quarter of the season to see defenses routinely out play offenses.  It just takes longer for offenses to figure things out and click.  With all the changes on the Bills offense that process may take a bit longer this year.  That shouldn't preclude them from winning though.

My point was the soft schedule in the first quarter of the season when the Bills offense is trying to find its identity may help mitigate those growing pains a little bit.  I can't remember a schedule as Bills friendly as this year's is.  I still think Allen takes a big step forward this season.

• Like (+1) 1

He will be fine. There are no shortage of 'slump busters' to be had in WNY. Oh, wait...wrong kind of slump. Carry on.

FWIW, I think he takes a nice step forward this year, building upon his second half of the season from last year. Taking all of the first team reps, same OC, familiarity with the league and rigors of a 16 game schedule, a fierce competitor...no sophomore jinx.