Face Of The Franchise: Josh Allen signing autographs

There was a comment on YouTube (granted it can be BS for all I know) that said last year at training camp one day Allen didn’t sign any autographs for anyone yet Nathan Peterman took the time to be accommodating to everyone.

So in the end being a good guy unfortunately doesn’t win games.  On the other hand it’s good to see this behavior if he’s gonna be the face of the franchise. 

If a QB lacks personality he might still be a great player. Having a great personality definitely helps though, in the lockerroom and in the huddle, assuming you otherwise have the tools. That's why they say Napoleon (when he was on his game) was worth 20,000 men in the field. His guys loved him. Having the right personality for the job is a positive and an important intangible. 

Of course you also need to have the tools. I'm very encouraged by Allen's rookie year, especially after his return from injury. The biggest question surrounding any college player is whether and how well he will be able to transition to the pro game. Lots of players look good in college and even project well to the next level but don't transition well. It's a big jump. It's when a guy continues to impress and especially  even looks like he can improve that you start to think you've maybe struck gold. I checked out as much of Allen's WYO tape as I could last year before the draft. There were issues with his game (and there still is) but he was clearly cut in the mould of a dominant player. Last year he consistently flashed the same dominant tendencies on an NFL field and in fact to my untrained eye he was a better and more effective player in the NFL after his return from injury than he was in the Mountain West. That's pretty ridiculous IMO.

So I have some confidence that things bode well for him and the Bills. I think he's going to be good. Maybe great.

• Thank you (+1) 1