The Life Of a Mid Major

Buffalo716

With the news of Nate Oats leaving Buffalo for Alabama .

This is the perfect time to remember that unfortunately this is the life of a mid major. When they strike gold with a coach, they are bought from a bigger school 

UB is no exception...

They will still be a strong program if they make the right hire.

Lance Leipold... start saying your goodbyes to him now... Because he will also be scooped sooner than later 

All this means is that UB is finally successful...

Get that right b-ball coach. Horns up ?

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

I still have no idea how Gonzaga gets Mark Few to stay there. 

Cushy gig, they play two tough opponents at most. They were handed total cupcake opponents right to the final a few years ago.

14 hours ago, suorangefan4 said:

Buffalo is a much nicer city than Spokane too.

He's only 61st highest paid coach, but still makes over 1.7M a year. Seriously, at what point do you have enough? I can see anything up to 300-400K a year affecting my life. After that it's only going to affect other's lives, or I'd just be leaving it behind. But, to answer your question, according to Wiki, "He has chosen to stay at Gonzaga in part to provide stability for himself and his family, turning away coaching offers from larger schools over the years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Few

16 minutes ago, Steve O said:

He's only 61st highest paid coach, but still makes over 1.7M a year. Seriously, at what point do you have enough? I can see anything up to 300-400K a year affecting my life. After that it's only going to affect other's lives, or I'd just be leaving it behind. But, to answer your question, according to Wiki, "He has chosen to stay at Gonzaga in part to provide stability for himself and his family, turning away coaching offers from larger schools over the years."

depends on the person and their priorities and motives.

if you can run a solid clean program and enjoy a life in isolation, long may you run

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

For most, it does not work that way..make $60K, you think you would be set at $150K. Make $150K, think you would be set at $500K. Make $800K, think everything would be great if you could just make $2m..human nature..for the most part. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

With the news of Nate Oats leaving Buffalo for Alabama .

This is the perfect time to remember that unfortunately this is the life of a mid major. When they strike gold with a coach, they are bought from a bigger school 

UB is no exception...

They will still be a strong program if they make the right hire.

Lance Leipold... start saying your goodbyes to him now... Because he will also be scooped sooner than later 

All this means is that UB is finally successful...

Get that right b-ball coach. Horns up ?

I hope what they do what has proven to be successful at VCU..and always hire someone who has worked here and understands the "havoc" system. It has worked well here, and has worked well at UB so far in terms of Hurley to Oats. Think i saw a tweet yesterday the main assistant is the guy who is the main recruiter..give it to him and let him roll.

18 hours ago, suorangefan4 said:

Buffalo is a much nicer city than Spokane too.

Having lived in Washington State, I know they have no state income tax.  Spokane is very average BUT the Idaho pan handle is beautiful. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yep. Not much of a basketball fan, but true for Houston football. Tom Herman came in, made us a top 10 school. Then the next year, lost three easy games, all while coincidentally the media was rumoring that he was talking to different schools, which of course he vehemently denied. Football is even worse. You can argue that these schools don't get fair seeding. But in basketball, the difference between a 4 seed and a 5 seed shouldn't be much if you're a legit contender. A 4 seed vs 5 seed in football is the playoff cutoffs. 

Another problem is scheduling. Alabama would love to take on some barely DI school like Rice, or even Buffalo (no offense to Bulls fans). They know they're gonna kill them, and it's the closest thing to a preseason game they're gonna get. A team like Houston, will probably lose to Alabama. And beating Houston wouldn't do much for their ranking. However, it's not out of the complete realm of possibilities, that Houston pulls the upset, which would kill a team's rating.

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

For most, it does not work that way..make $60K, you think you would be set at $150K. Make $150K, think you would be set at $500K. Make $800K, think everything would be great if you could just make $2m..human nature..for the most part. 

I hope what they do what has proven to be successful at VCU..and always hire someone who has worked here and understands the "havoc" system. It has worked well here, and has worked well at UB so far in terms of Hurley to Oats. Think i saw a tweet yesterday the main assistant is the guy who is the main recruiter..give it to him and let him roll.

That is usually the best way to go... if you have a competent coach in waiting

Hodgson the assistant coach is the lead recruiter and has been very successful... Oats wants to take him with... and that would probably take some recruits with him 

it would be wise to keep him because he can recruit... don’t know if he can coach tho...