Mcdermott's thoughts on Bills aging backfield.

#34fan

Other teams just put a guy out there and they're fine. The Bills over think the position. We even have fans talking about development at the position like they're qb's.

Teams with decent lines with good blocking schemes usually result in all their rb's having a good ypc and teams without it usually have rb's with a poor ypc, who the players are isn't that big of a deal.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You just spewing out stuff that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about?

BWAHAHAHA.... 

WTH are you talking about then?  

Gore making the hall-of-fame?  ROFLMAO 

Jerry Rice is IN the HoF, so lets sign him too.  Makes as much sense as defending as impactful a player that's averaged 3.9 yards-per-carry over his last four seasons, a mere 3 rushing TDs/season, and one that's going to be in unprecedented age territory for a RB at 36 this season.  

LOL  

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

BWAHAHAHA.... 

WTH are you talking about then?  

Gore making the hall-of-fame?  ROFLMAO 

Jerry Rice is IN the HoF, so lets sign him too.  Makes as much sense as defending as impactful a player that's averaged 3.9 yards-per-carry over his last four seasons, a mere 3 rushing TDs/season, and one that's going to be in unprecedented age territory for a RB at 36 this season.  

LOL  

Sheesh, you sure know how to engage in a mature, civil discussion.

?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

It's the RB position... It isn't that important.

Well, there are a number of responses to that.  

Given that the point is to take heat off of Allen, I'd say that it's certainly signiificant.  

Either way, having a couple of defunct aging/aged RBs back there certainly isn't going to help.  We'll have easily the oldest RBs in the league by a country mile.  

So, to address your statement, I guess it depends upon the extent to which one thinks/believes that having a good offensive backfield is key.  There seems to be a lot of support for that notion in this forum however.  

What can be said about all four conference championship teams is that they had good receiving production out of the backfield.  NE with White, NO with Kamara, KC with Hunt before he got booted, not so much after that, and LA with Gurley.  So to that extent I'd suggest that it's important.  

If 

Having said that, Allen only threw 22 passes to McCoy last season in 12 games.  Not even 2/game.  To add some additional perspective, McCoy caught 12 other passes in four games, 3/game.  

Ivory was the next leading receiver out of the backfield with only 6 catches from Allen, a half-a-catch/game.  Perspective:  He had 7 catches in the other 4 games, nearly 2/game.  

The only other significant, if it even is significant, RB to catch passes from Allen was Murphy with 10 catches.  

Which brings up a good point.  Allen needs to hone his short-medium game more than anything.  Yet all we hear is about how he needs deep-receivers.  If the coaching staff doesn't focus on his short-medium passing game they're screwing themselves, Allen, and us as fans.  Allen's going nowhere as a franchise QB if he cannot improve his short-medium game by leaps and bounds.  He's nowhere near even average much less getting a sniff of franchise territory at the moment.  

I don't see how more deep WRs help him in that way, or the team.  No team wins games consistently on the merits of their deep game.  

Either way, that strategy is flawed and 38 passes to RBs at a rate of fewer than 4/game, given the methodologies by which teams win these days, namely passing, largely short-medium which includes optimizing use of their offensive backfields, we're not close.  Last season was McCoy's second-worst ever in terms of receiving yardage, and one of only three seasons with 0 receiving TDs, the first having been his rookie season.  That's not good.  

Side note:  Not one of our RBs caught a TD pass last season.  Out tackles (Dawkins) had more TD passes.  

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Maybe we should wait til after the draft. Drafting a rb and maybe a udfa will lower our average age for rbs?. Plus learning from 2 potential hof rbs will help develop the youngster(s). I am assuming we draft 1.

You make a good point, I didn't look at Gore's contract, but it can't be huge and depending upon the draft perhaps they can release him in favor of a good day-3 draft pick.  

Good RBs can be found early on day-3.  Particularly role-playing RBs that can catch but don't necessarily have the rushing skills.  

Still, if Allen can't adjust his game to make use of those skills, ... 

At some point it's all going to fall on Allen and whether or not he can tweak his passing game to force an enormous uptick in his short-medium game.  

Edited by TaskersGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sheesh, you sure know how to engage in a mature, civil discussion.

?

LMAO 

As if his post, the one I was responding to was either mature or civil.  ... much less logical or made any sense whatsoever.  

As they say, don't show up to a gun fight with a knife, much less  water pistol.  

I've come to the conclusion @TaskersGhost doesn't actually watch very much football but spends an inordinate amount of time typing up long-winded responses that say absolutely nothing.

Such gems as, "Allen didn't throw a lot to his RBs last year so that means he never will."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TaskersGhost said:

Well, there are a number of responses to that.  

Given that the point is to take heat off of Allen, I'd say that it's certainly signiificant.  

Either way, having a couple of defunct aging/aged RBs back there certainly isn't going to help.  We'll have easily the oldest RBs in the league by a country mile.  

So, to address your statement, I guess it depends upon the extent to which one thinks/believes that having a good offensive backfield is key.  There seems to be a lot of support for that notion in this forum however.  

What can be said about all four conference championship teams is that they had good receiving production out of the backfield.  NE with White, NO with Kamara, KC with Hunt before he got booted, not so much after that, and LA with Gurley.  So to that extent I'd suggest that it's important.  

If 

Having said that, Allen only threw 22 passes to McCoy last season in 12 games.  Not even 2/game.  To add some additional perspective, McCoy caught 12 other passes in four games, 3/game.  

Ivory was the next leading receiver out of the backfield with only 6 catches from Allen, a half-a-catch/game.  Perspective:  He had 7 catches in the other 4 games, nearly 2/game.  

The only other significant, if it even is significant, RB to catch passes from Allen was Murphy with 10 catches.  

Which brings up a good point.  Allen needs to hone his short-medium game more than anything.  Yet all we hear is about how he needs deep-receivers.  If the coaching staff doesn't focus on his short-medium passing game they're screwing themselves, Allen, and us as fans.  Allen's going nowhere as a franchise QB if he cannot improve his short-medium game by leaps and bounds.  He's nowhere near even average much less getting a sniff of franchise territory at the moment.  

I don't see how more deep WRs help him in that way, or the team.  No team wins games consistently on the merits of their deep game.  

Either way, that strategy is flawed and 38 passes to RBs at a rate of fewer than 4/game, given the methodologies by which teams win these days, namely passing, largely short-medium which includes optimizing use of their offensive backfields, we're not close.  Last season was McCoy's second-worst ever in terms of receiving yardage, and one of only three seasons with 0 receiving TDs, the first having been his rookie season.  That's not good.  

Side note:  Not one of our RBs caught a TD pass last season.  Out tackles (Dawkins) had more TD passes.  

You make a good point, I didn't look at Gore's contract, but it can't be huge and depending upon the draft perhaps they can release him in favor of a good day-3 draft pick.  

Good RBs can be found early on day-3.  Particularly role-playing RBs that can catch but don't necessarily have the rushing skills.  

Still, if Allen can't adjust his game to make use of those skills, ... 

At some point it's all going to fall on Allen and whether or not he can tweak his passing game to force an enormous uptick in his short-medium game.  

You want to take heat off of Allen... Get the best Run Blocker in the league and Gore is that.

Other than a proven RB they are all just a dime a dozen and you usually can find a good one pretty easily anymore.

Edited by Boca BIlls

12 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You want to take heat off of Allen... Get the best Run Blocker in the league and Gore is that.

Other than a proven RB they are all just a dime a dozen and you usually can find a good one pretty easily anymore.

:huh: -Might you mean pass protector?  

And Gore hasn't always been at the top of that list.

9FQbwK7J_normal.jpg

Pass Blown Block Rate
RBs in 2017, min 60 pass blocking snaps:

T1. Zeke Elliot, Todd Gurley, Matt Forte: 0.0%
4. Lamar Miller: 0.8%
5. Jamaal Williams: 1.3%
---
19. Frank Gore: 3.5%
20. Carlos Hyde: 4.3%
21. Devonta Freeman: 4.5%
22. Tevin Coleman: 5.0%
23. Melvin Gordon: 7.2%

Frank's had numerous 1000+ yard seasons in a long career.  That said,  anyone not managing their expectations from a back this old is simply daydreaming.

A year can make a whole lot of difference. (especially past age 35.)

Hopefully Ivory's spot gets filled by some young, fresh, legs.