Antivirus/Internet security products

stuvian

I have just had a very bad experience dealing with Norton/Symantec around unauthorized billing of my credit card and am looking for alternatives. I have a desktop PC and two other lap tops I'm looking to protect.   I used to use Norton 360 which was both antivirus and firewall/internet security.Our use is largely internet and word processing through wifi.

Your recommendations are welcome.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I assume you're running Windows

Avast antivirus for real time monitoring

Malwarebytes for manual scans

Yes, our PCs are all Windows based. Does this entail 2 different purchases? If so, is that an improvement over all in one type products?

Just now, stuvian said:

Yes, our PCs are all Windows based. Does this entail 2 different purchases? If so, is that an improvement over all in one type products?

Two different products, both offering free and paid versions

I prefer multiple products over all in one suites.  If the real time virus scan fails to identify a threat, the manual scan may pick it up later

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Two different products, both offering free and paid versions

I prefer multiple products over all in one suites.  If the real time virus scan fails to identify a threat, the manual scan may pick it up later

do either of those block phishing scams and are they firewall protectors also?

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's your opinion on Windows Defender? I do run Malwarebytes.

Windows Defender wouldn't be my choice for real time monitoring, but makes a good secondary or tertiary manual/scheduled scanner in case the real time monitor failed to detect a threat

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

do either of those block phishing scams and are they firewall protectors also?

the only real defense against phishing scams is to not be a dumbass that falls for it

Avast will trigger an alert if you click on a sketchy link

Avast has a firewall with their paid product, Windows Firewall will do the same job for free

Firewalls can be either host based or network based.  If you have spare computer parts around the house, look into PFSense (https://www.pfsense.org/download/).  I run the Open Source version as my router/firewall and Network Intrusion Prevention System (NIPS)

Edited by /dev/null

This is why I have not owned a computer in more than 12 years.

Until I have my own IT department to maintain my machine's updates, security, etc, or the computer manufacturers include that lifetime service for free or minimal cost, I'll be stuck on my smartphone.

Funny how AT&T and other phone services/mfgs seem to keep my little pocket computer up to date and virus free. Why can't the other computer makers?