Salary Cap

Thurmon - it’s funny you did this at the same time I was using SPOTRAC, vs. Over The Cap.  I came to almost the same conclusion.  They are not as pressured as I thought to spend a ton this off season.  I still believe not including free agency and emergency fund, as well as hold over for next year’s extensions, will probably probably spend in FA, and UDFA, approximately $39-40,000,000.

We’ll see what they do.  Should be fun so maybe they find a bunch of Spencer Long type players, who are solid, but only cost us $3.9 mil. This year, vs. the Saffold. High ticket price players.  The good news to me is this admin. I don’t believe will get us in cap hell again, now will they spend properly to keep building a perennial playoff team.  I know about all the other factors in coaching, etc., for this thread, I’m speaking simply to who we buy, and does it give the right ingredients for the coaching staff to win.

This was an interesting exercise.

This article sums up the Bills’ situation pretty well:

Based on publicly available figures from Spotrac and the NFLPA, the Bills are required to spend about $213.95 million in cash dollars between 2019 and 2020 (assuming a $10 million salary cap increase in 2020) in order to comply with the CBA-required 89% team minimum cash spend. Currently, the Bills are at around 88.3% for 2017 and 2018 (the minimum is computed-based on a 2017-2020 average), and need to spend around $83.1 million in 2019 in order to be on pace to meet the minimum of 89%. The team already has $87.375 million in 2019 committed cash, so it shouldn’t be difficult. If only the minimum cash spending to be on pace is equaled in 2019, the team would then be required to spend a whopping $130.85 million in cash in 2020. The Bills currently only have $46.25 million in committed cash for 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2019/2/11/18218124/buffalo-bills-need-to-spend-cash-this-offseason-to-meet-nfl-requirements-nflpa-salary-cap

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Shady, respectfully I disagree as they need about 9.3 mil again for the draft, but if you’re including that portion, I understood.  Second almost every team wants to hold back after the draft of a minimum of $7 mil, but often more so they can sign cheap undrafted free agents, and have their insurance policy.  

They are are going to want to hold back probably $20 mil so the can extend some people next year.  That leaves around $50 mil for FA. That’s my only point.  It’s still a lot of money to get some marquee players.

we’re basically on the same page. 

Maybe I was too generic - 

After all the camps and preseason I think my numbers will hold out come opening weekend. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This article sums up the Bills’ situation pretty well:

Based on publicly available figures from Spotrac and the NFLPA, the Bills are required to spend about $213.95 million in cash dollars between 2019 and 2020 (assuming a $10 million salary cap increase in 2020) in order to comply with the CBA-required 89% team minimum cash spend. Currently, the Bills are at around 88.3% for 2017 and 2018 (the minimum is computed-based on a 2017-2020 average), and need to spend around $83.1 million in 2019 in order to be on pace to meet the minimum of 89%. The team already has $87.375 million in 2019 committed cash, so it shouldn’t be difficult. If only the minimum cash spending to be on pace is equaled in 2019, the team would then be required to spend a whopping $130.85 million in cash in 2020. The Bills currently only have $46.25 million in committed cash for 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2019/2/11/18218124/buffalo-bills-need-to-spend-cash-this-offseason-to-meet-nfl-requirements-nflpa-salary-cap

The Bills IIRC (from last seasons cap threads) have OVER 25 spots to fill

I want to say it was mid 30’s but some players have been signed since last year. 

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

You don't have to throw big money around.

You front load contracts, which means you have plenty of cap space next year too.

Im very well aware of that my friend.  But some ppl dont believe they will pony up the dough for the big name OL this offseason, if they are worth it they will.  It wont be all bargain basement spending. 

One thing I would like to note though is that players want garaunteed money usually as a signing bonus  whichbgets spread over the life of the deal.  But a large base salary would do the trick.

Formerly - I’m hoping as Gil Brandt states it’s liars season, and they are targeting two of the better interior linemen out there if not extended or tagged, and a solid WR.  I seriously doubt we would ever go after Antonio Brown.  He’s a game changer, but has openly a pain in the ars.

18 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

This is an excellent thread.

The Bills almost have to be big players in free agency this year. You don't get a prize for stashing cap space. As a matter of fact, if they aren't big players in FA'cy this year, they'll run the risk of forfeiting cash to the league if I understand it correctly.

To the NFLPA

Can't we just restructure existing contracts with larger base salaries for this year.  The cap is very flexible, if we want to pay upfront or just not do big bonuses but a larger base for the less splashy free agents we do sign I'm sure we'll have no problem getting to our 89%.  Not saying they won't just spend it . . .