Troubling Part of Todays NFL Media

corta765

Watching football over the years it has been increasingly annoying and upsetting with how the media decides to cover and portray the game. It's felt like since the 2010ish the media has transformed from covering and providing analysis to actively showing bias for who they want to win games, awards, etc.. Perhaps it was the advent of social media truly taking hold over the last decade where everything is a hot take or the increased coverage of the NFL but it has fundamentally changed the way the sport is covered.

Case and point? This year with the whole non call Saints v Rams. Today Bill Barnwell who is one of the better X's and O's guys out there (despite my hatred for him) is tweeting if the PI rules are not changed the Saints should just get a free PI call to use this season. This type of crap is just that... crap. But it stems from the fact the entire season the NFL media wanted Drew Brees who everyone slobers over to win the MVP and SB and when both didn't happen the hot takes went flying. No one is disputing it was a blown call which did alter the game, although I am not sure why everyone forgets the Saints had the lead still and had the ball in OT which Brees threw an INT on. As a kid I loved the Raiders and Gannon and they got screwed just as hard yet got half the outrage. This is where I wonder if social media is part of the issue where people instead of creating well thought out articles just spew hot garbage. Regardless it has gotten pathetic that instead of just covering the league in a normal fashion everything has to be a hot take and I am to the point it turns me off towards following football until the games start. RG3's rookie year or Lamar Jackson this year were both similar situations where the media drafted the narrative it wanted without regard to the facts that RG3's play would wreck him (plus his coach let him play injured) or that Jackson actually was worse the Josh Allen and throws it forward. Jared Goff in 3 years has went from bust to franchise QB back to maybe we should replace him. There is just a lack of patience, analysis, or in a withholding of instant opinion which wrecks the way the sport is now covered.

In regards to the non PI call it is quite tiring because the NFL is littered with questionable calls and misses. Had the refs caught Don Beebe in the comeback game out of bounds that game probably goes different. In the end though reffing is not perfect and it never will be and frankly I am ok with that compared to the alternative of video reviewing the game to death. I can tell you as someone who refs hockey games the amount of things you have to be aware of would be jaw dropping to any normal person. There are certainly ways to enhance things, but the last time we rushed to changing a rule it took a decade to fix the catch again.

Perhaps it is one of those things were when you grow up the world always seemed best, but the NFL Primetime guys reporters like Dr. Z seemed to be far more sensible in how they covered the sport and more level headed in their approach. Peter King and Robert Klemko are two guys who seem to be in that group but they are few and far between in todays reporting world.

• Like (+1) 1

There's a difference between "news" and "content" today.  

Biggest change is the demand for 24/7 content by management.  They don't really care what it is, so long as it can get up on the website or in the Twitter feed ASAP.  The days of a Dr. Z longform expose  are long gone because management demands content creation on a ridiculous schedule to stay competitive with Twitter and bloggers.   

Bill Simmons gave real content a shot and ESPN couldn't stomach it because it likely took too long and too expensive to make.  

Opinion is cheap, easy and quick to manufacture. We see that a media company doesn't need to hire a Dr. Z caliber reporter anymore.  You can hire a "Dylan" fresh out of college and get your content and a "Rebecca" to direct "discussion" with the cast of former NFL players just to say stuff to soak up the airtime.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dpberr said:

There's a difference between "news" and "content" today.  

Biggest change is the demand for 24/7 content by management.  They don't really care what it is, so long as it can get up on the website or in the Twitter feed ASAP.  The days of a Dr. Z longform expose  are long gone because management demands content creation on a ridiculous schedule to stay competitive with Twitter and bloggers.   

Bill Simmons gave real content a shot and ESPN couldn't stomach it because it likely took too long and too expensive to make.  

Opinion is cheap, easy and quick to manufacture. We see that a media company doesn't need to hire a Dr. Z caliber reporter anymore.  You can hire a "Dylan" fresh out of college and get your content and a "Rebecca" to direct "discussion" with the cast of former NFL players just to say stuff to soak up the airtime.  

Well said! Wow have the times changed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1