Is Rob Gronkowski a first ballot Hall of Famer?

16 minutes ago, folz said:

Gronk should and will get into the HOF, but I don't think he should be a first ballot hall of famer. Some people questioned whether even Tony Gonzales should be a first ballot guy or not, and compare his stats to Gronk's:

Tony       Gronk

Years      17             9

RECs    1,325         521

YDs     15, 127     7,860

TDs        111            79

They each had four seasons with more than 1,000 yards. But Tony had 13 seasons with 850+ yards, while Gronk had just those same 4. Tony had 14, what I would call, elite seasons. Gronk had 5. Now, of course, Tony did indeed get in on his first ballot, but first ballot should be reserved for sustained numbers like his. Plus Gronk didn't innovate the TE position in any way. That had already happened with guys like Gonzales and Gates. So, as great as Gronk has been when healthy, he should be a vote or two behind guys like Tony. First ballot is for the best of all time type of guys. I don't think Gronk quite reaches that status due to his overall numbers and injury issues. Definitely a HOFer, just not first ballot.

Umm, I think you forgot to mention a rather important Gronkowski stat line:

In 16 postseason games (another full season, against the best teams in the league):  81 receptions, 1160 yards, 12 TDs, and 3 Super Bowl wins.  

There has been retirement talk, but Gronk is not even 30 years old yet.  He’s better than Gonzales was.  By a lot.

3 minutes ago, folz said:

Yes, the TD numbers are impressive for Gronk, no doubt (he had 17 in one season), and championships always help...but I think championships are such a team-based thing for non-QBs.

But, just to give a little more perspective:

Tony Gonzales is 2nd all time in NFL history for receptions (for all receivers, not just TEs), only one spot behind Jerry Rice. Gronk is tied for 130th in receptions.

Tony G is 6th all time in receiving yards (again, all receivers), while Gronk is 104th. First ballot should be for guys with all-time numbers. 

Tell me about Gonzales’s postseason stats (and his blocking).  Gronk was the best non-QB on the ultimate NFL dynasty; his three Super Bowl rings aren’t an accident.

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Umm, I think you forgot to mention a rather important Gronkowski stat line:

In 16 postseason games (another full season, against the best teams in the league):  81 receptions, 1160 yards, 12 TDs, and 3 Super Bowl wins.  

There has been retirement talk, but Gronk is not even 30 years old yet.  He’s better than Gonzales was.  By a lot.

Although I think it is a bit much to say he's better than Gonzales, because playoff opportunity and success has a lot to do with what team you're on and who is your QB, you may have swayed me into being more open to Gronk being in the first ballot conversation. You're right, what he has done in the post-season is quite impressive and that holds a lot of weight with HOF voters because it is the history of the game.  

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1