Is Rob Gronkowski a first ballot Hall of Famer?

As most everyone else has said,

There is no doubt that he is a Hall of Famer,

But I don't think that he should be a First Rounder.

If he wasn't on the Pats, we wouldn't even be having this conversation..........it would be 3rd or 4rth year in.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

He's 100% a HOF'er - I just don't think it's 100% that he's 1st ballot.  

If he and Antonio Gates retire in the same season - I could see Gronk getting bumped.  

...GREAT call WL.....certainly agree....Gonzo is now in....Gates is next and then Gronk.....still have waning hope for Robert Royal.......:thumbsup:.....

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

He is absolutely a first ballot Hall of Famer.  That's a no-brainer to any unbiased football fan.

Absolute no-brainer. Once again as always, don't look at the stats, they are for losers. Look at what he did on the field and most especially look what he did in big games and big moments. That being said, ***** Gronk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Who knows? He's been a pretty dominant force at TE over the years. He also missed a lot of playing time due to injuries.

Ultimately he'll get in. Not sure if it will be first ballot or not, but he'll get in.

You have to included his post season stats too- which I think help his cause. 

56 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not sure about that, he has been great for the last few years.....

I’d be hard pressed to think of one I’d pick before him. He’s a monster in nearly anything you’d ask of a TE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Oh yes. On Pittsburgh television he is not a known cheater. Personally speaking, the Buffalo native part offsets the punk move on Tre White.

That’s more on the Bulls for being cowards.  But he is the definition of a first ballot HOFer.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

As most everyone else has said,

There is no doubt that he is a Hall of Famer,

But I don't think that he should be a First Rounder.

If he wasn't on the Pats, we wouldn't even be having this conversation..........it would be 3rd or 4rth year in.

if there's no doubt he should be in the Hall, why wait 3 or 4 years?

He's going straight in.. unless Brady retires this year and decides he wants to go in before Gronk and have Gronk delayed a year.  I'm sure Brady could make that happen, doubt he'd want to share the limelight.

Edited by driddles

Unfortunately, yes. It's not even up for debate.

OP should realize that reception numbers are only half the equation for him. He's among the best blocking TEs in history. And for as much as we all want try to relegate the running game to non-essential status, it has remained a key part of the Pats*** success for years. Gronk is a huge part of that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Among TEs, 15th all time in receptions, 9th in yards, 4th in TDs, 1st in yards per game and per target.  So yeah, he's a HOFer based on his dominance over a relatively short period, but first ballot?  I don't think so.

Does he jump Gonzalez and Whitten?  How about Harold Carmichael?  He had more catches/yards, the same number of TDs and isn't in the HOF at all.

Or does RG get added credit for playing with a first ballot HOF QB and Coach?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Yes.  He was absolutely dominating as a pass catcher, then a bowling ball yac.  Great blocker.  Best TE ever, i think consensus would agree

I don't agree.  I would take Tony Gonzalez over him.  Jimmy Graham was as good during Gronk's run.