The Underappreciated Genius of Chan Gailey

There was a time when Chan was the best OC and hottest head coaching candidate in football with Pittsburgh.

I'll never forget the gameplan he threw together against Wade's D in Pittsburgh.........Wade's mouth was agape for 4 full quarters.....his tongue must have been like beef jerky at the end of the game.

Chan wasn't cut out to be a HC though.    Couldn't get players to buy in at any of his HC jobs.

Still blows my mind the Bills hired him for HC........he'd just been fired as an OC for chrissakes and before that did an awful job as HC at Georgia Tech.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I was thinking the other day that I honestly feel like the hiring of Chan Gailey was the worst head coaching hire I can ever remember. He was absolutely terrible and I don’t know how anyone could feel differently. It was the closest I ever got to canceling my Sunday ticket. Nobody else would have ever considered hiring him for a HC. There was no reason for us to do it. We could have hired a real HC and probably got him to be an OC. He ran the same plays over and over regardless of situation. Every team in the league figured him out and after that 5-2 start, we never did anything again. The book was written and then end of that year and the following season was just a complete embarrassment. We forced the same stuff over and over again and Fitz actually proved to be a very productive QB after Chan. This is all not even considering there was no attempt to even pretend to play defense for 3 straight years. I think he was the single worst HC the Bills have had in the last 30 years and I don’t think it was close.

I actually did cancel ST after Chan's second season.  Have saved a lot of money.  ?

I don't blame Chan tho.  There was a lot of talk on the board about how we needed "football men" at OBD and Chix seemed like gold old-fashioned "football men".  But they couldn't cancel out Russ and the rest.  My guess would be that Russ had RW's ear and Chix couldn't get a word in edgewise.