Cool Detailed Analysis - Zay Jones

On 1/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, Magox said:

Were you frustrated with the Sammy trade up considering we could have had OBJ without doing so?

I was pissed and amazed that we didn't draft Khalil Mack. In that draft I was 100% sure if we traded down or stayed put that it would be a WR. If we traded up I was 100% sure it would be the no brainer pick of Mack. Oh well at least the people I hated most in the history of this franchise are gone in Brandon and Whaley. If we have our franchise QB in Allen after this season we will enjoy more then a few playoff appearances and hopefully a Super Bowl. 

I have no faith in Zay Jones being anything more than 4th or 5th on the depth chart. I hope if Jones makes the team that he works very hard on his special teams.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:03 AM, folz said:

But who was throwing the ball to those other guys and in what offense? That kind of makes a difference. Now, I'm not saying Zay is as good as say JuJu, but Zay had Tyrod, Peterman, Anderson, Barkley, and rookie Allen throwing to him in an offense that could barely muster 10 points until late last season, while JuJu had a Hall-of-Fame QB throwing to him, and an All-Pro WR on the opposite side of the field drawing double teams, both of whom had been in the same offensive system for a long time. You kind of have to take those things into account.

Yes, some rookie WRs come out of the gate hot and put up some nice numbers their rookie year, but there are a hell of a lot more guys who take a few years to develop. That is why there is the belief of the 3rd year being a potential break-out year for WRs. Zay is going into his third year. I'm curious to see if he can take that next step. 

Plus, I think the coaching change may be a very good thing for all of the WRs this year. Zay's rookie year, he had his college WR coach, who may not have really been ready to make the jump to the next level or simply didn't know the league that well yet. Plus he wasn't teaching Zay anything new, since he had been coaching him already for a couple of years. And then last year, it sounds like Robiskie might have been a bit disinterested, or not really grinding (per rumors). So, maybe with better coaching and QB play (Josh progressing), Zay breaks out this season.

Don't forget too that Zay and Josh didn't get a lot of practice time together until later in the year. One reason Foster may have come on was because he and Josh got to practice more together in camp, preseason, and early on in the season. This offseason, Josh is the guy and if Zay remains one of the top three WRs, they will hopefully be able to get on the same page, be more comfortable with each other, trust each other, etc.

Did we all expect more out of Zay to this point, yes. But let's let it play out before we label him a bust. Players do get better with experience.

The WR that you're defending was ranked 210 (out of 212) in catch % in 2017. 

In 2018 he ranked a pathetic 176th (out of 202) in catch % in 2018.  

He's posted 9 TDs in the two seasons.   5 of those TDs were in losses.  3 of the other 4, including 2 in that last Miami game last season when the entire team was in beast mode, were essentially in routs.  The only TD that he scored that proved to be significant and directly contributed to a win was in the KC game last season.  

His only two decent games were blowout wins against the Jets and Fins, and the way we were playing in both of those games we didn't need him.  Two of his three TDs were when the games were long over and the other one of two were both in that Fins game where Allen, in really his only great game, was a one-man wrecking crew.  

If he (Jones) were on any other team no one here would be defending him at all.  

He's a "dime-a-dozen" WR if even that.  

Edited by TaskersGhost