Leslie Frazier has never been a good DC

Billever76

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

How do you know what McD "wanted"?  Wanting is a feeling that exists within a person.  Unless McD articulated his wants to you - and I suspect he didn't - I don't think you know what he wanted.  All you know - to a small degree - is what he did.  Coaches are rarely in the position of doing what they really want - which is fielding a team with Pro Bowlers at every position.  What we see on the field is what they've been able to do with the resources they got.  It's the negotiated compromise between aspiration and realism.  

And McD is clueless in assessing talent?  McD is the coach, not the GM.  In any case, if you are going to evaluate McD's performance, please share your qualification to make such extreme global remarks like "McDermott is clueless."  How many rings do you have?   

McD - like all coaches - has made mistakes but he's far from clueless.  The question that remains is if he's making smaller mistakes than other NFL HCs?  And is he counterbalancing his mistakes with enough good decisions to create a winning team?   These are questions worth arguing.   NFL coaches exist on a continuum.   None are perfect geniuses and none are entirely clueless.  They've all worked many years to improve their craft.  Some are more successful at this than others.  I'm not sure yet where to rank McD because this year he's been saddled with the lowest paid roster in the NFL.  It's hard to look good right now with these players.  

I do believe, though, that everything going on with the salary cap is purely intentional.  Beane has talked very openly about the need for clearing up cap space.  We have tons of cap space available in 2019 and 2020 because of Beane's cap management decisions.  Bean's roster moves hurt this year but give us a better future.  

...McDermott is an enigma of sorts.......start with HC hiring first followed by GM hiring...so who is in charge?....did he have input in the GM hiring and for what reason?....did he favor a subordinating type?.....why all the fuss about him being from the "Reid tree" and a disciple of the late, great DC Jim Johnson?.......does that suggest he is "on par" with them or does he think he is?....will he be another coordinator promoted to a HC spot that fizzled?.....he is only in year two as a HC and realistically there is a learning curve........so the jury is out IMO...at the same tie, 2019 is his 2nd full year with McBeane and his gang of 17+, still not knowing who is "officially in charge", and a booty of 10 picks and FA $$$.....probably on e of the biggest, pivotal years in the last decade or even since the Polian era in this club's lore....SAME 5-10 predicament at this time next year as we now face should raise some serious concerns as to whether this is the right gang or not....stay tuned............

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...McDermott is an enigma of sorts.......start with HC hiring first followed by GM hiring...so who is in charge?....did he have input in the GM hiring and for what reason?....did he favor a subordinating type?.....why all the fuss about him being from the "Reid tree" and a disciple of the late, great DC Jim Johnson?.......does that suggest he is "on par" with them or does he think he is?....will he be another coordinator promoted to a HC spot that fizzled?.....he is only in year two as a HC and realistically there is a learning curve........so the jury is out IMO...at the same tie, 2019 is his 2nd full year with McBeane and his gang of 17+, still not knowing who is "officially in charge", and a booty of 10 picks and FA $$$.....probably on e of the biggest, pivotal years in the last decade or even since the Polian era in this club's lore....SAME 5-10 predicament at this time next year as we now face should raise some serious concerns as to whether this is the right gang or not....stay tuned............

I suspect the relationship between McD is what they say it is: Beane is in charge of adding to the roster and McD has the authority to drop people from the roster.  But they also say they talk a lot and influence each other.  McD has input on FA signings and draft picks.  Beane has input on roster cuts.  

I do think you're first question is a good one.  Normally, you'd expect the GM to outrank the HC.  But did McD - in effect - hire Beane?  Hard to know.  If so, does McD have greater input in Beane's world than they let on?

I don't blame Beane for putting us in Cap Hell this year to make next year better.  And I don't blame McD for losing 10 games with the lowest paid roster in the NFL (by far).  But you're right - next year is different.  Next year puts us 3 years and 2 drafts into Beane's regime.  We ought to see progress.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I suspect the relationship between McD is what they say it is: Beane is in charge of adding to the roster and McD has the authority to drop people from the roster.  But they also say they talk a lot and influence each other.  McD has input on FA signings and draft picks.  Beane has input on roster cuts.  

I do think you're first question is a good one.  Normally, you'd expect the GM to outrank the HC.  But did McD - in effect - hire Beane?  Hard to know.  If so, does McD have greater input in Beane's world than they let on?

I don't blame Beane for putting us in Cap Hell this year to make next year better.  And I don't blame McD for losing 10 games with the lowest paid roster in the NFL (by far).  But you're right - next year is different.  Next year puts us 3 years and 2 drafts into Beane's regime.  We ought to see progress.  

....good assessment....nicely done.....:thumbsup: