Josh Allen #45 on Bills career rushing list

BobbyC81

Fun fact:. Josh Allen's 506 rushing yards have him 45th on the Bills career rushing list.  With several other players above him in the 510-600 range, he could be in the high 30s at the end of the season.

Fun Fact #2: Allen is also within range of Tyrod Taylor's record of 580 rushing yards in a season by a QB, set in the 2016 season.

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Fun fact:. Josh Allen's 506 rushing yards have him 45th on the Bills career rushing list.  With several other players above him in the 510-600 range, he could be in the high 30s at the end of the season.

Fun Fact #2: Allen is also within range of Tyrod Taylor's record of 580 rushing yards in a season by a QB, set in the 2016 season.

But we have a “pocket passer” now... right?

10 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I think mostly out of necessity at this point.  Unfortunately he doesn't have much of a line in front of him right now.  IMO this is the number one thing to fix in the offseason and the draft.  I think he can be one of the top QB's in the league if he gets time to learn how read NFL defenses.  But if he keeps running like he is now he'll never finish a season. 

Edited by gobillsinytown

11 minutes ago, gobillsinytown said:

I think mostly out of necessity at this point.  Unfortunately he doesn't have much of a line in front of him right now.  IMO this is the number one thing to fix in the offseason and the draft.  I think he can be one of the top QB's in the league if he gets time to learn how read NFL defenses.  But if he keeps running like he is now he'll never finish a season. 

the flipside of this is that opposing defenses now have to commit a spy to containing him.  Remember when the NFL finally figured out to do that with Flutie?  sadly, he didnt have the arm or height to make them pay, but Allen certainly does. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

How could you forget Fun Fact #3: In less than a full season as a rookie, Allen is already half way to tying Bradys career rushing yards total.....

i hope all the "pocket passer purists" do not discount the importance of this.  There are a number of reasons our run game was so much more powerful the past few years (scheme, better OL, younger shady), but one major reason i believe it was better then, and less so now, was the threat of the read run-option w TT at QB.  Misdirection in the run game kept a LB spy home on most downs and allowed us to match numbers of all defenders with blockers.  

The major downside of TT was inability to push the ball down the field credibly, which eventually allowed the safeties to drop down and tipped the numbers back towards the defense.  

with JA, you now have not only the rushing threat, but also a credible passing threat, and a medium and long range one at that.  Most JAs runs have been impromtu on breakdowns thus far, but i think going forward there should be a lot more called read-option and designed QB runs.  This will benefit the normal running game greatly in keeping LBs honest on their assignments and not being able to overload pursuit.  Lastly, if that is coupled w JA pushing the ball down the field (in particular taking shots on first downs), it will keep the secondary back.  With a combination of these elements, i think the Bills could have a supremely balanced offense and really could be the embodiment of complementary football on offense.  

• Like (+1) 2