Week 14: Bills vs. Jets All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

On 12/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, HappyDays said:

This is the play where I thought he missed McKenzie high. Matt Waldman has a different interpretation, that he was trying to sneak the ball into Robert Foster but didn't look off the safety which allowed him to disrupt the play. It wasn't poor ball placement, the pass was where it needed to be. He just didn't freeze the safety. I actually feel better about that kind of mistake.

I can't tell if he's trying to hit McKenzie or Foster there.

To me it looks more like he's going for McKenzie.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can't tell if he's trying to hit McKenzie or Foster there.

To me it looks more like he's going for McKenzie.

Waldman points out it looks like he is staring Foster down for his whole route. I'm not sure why the routes ended up so close together. The pass to Foster is actually right where it needs to be to squeeze it between the corner and the closing safety, the problem is he didn't look off the safety first and didn't judge his closing speed properly. That is the kind of rookie mistake I don't mind at all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, HappyDays said:

This is the play where I thought he missed McKenzie high. Matt Waldman has a different interpretation, that he was trying to sneak the ball into Robert Foster but didn't look off the safety which allowed him to disrupt the play. It wasn't poor ball placement, the pass was where it needed to be. He just didn't freeze the safety. I actually feel better about that kind of mistake.

I messed this up too. After looking at it again, I agree with Waldman. The pass was a little low forcing Forster to break off his route and slide down for the ball but the throw also traveled 30 yards in the air. It was a pretty impressive throw. We were lucky it wasn't picked though.   

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The pass was a little low forcing Forster to break off his route and slide down for the ball but the throw also traveled 30 yards in the air

I think you're supposed to throw the ball low to beat the safety in the window. Mahomes has thrown a few TDs exactly like that. You want the receiver to slide to catch the ball so the DBs don't have a chance. Next time he should look off the safety first and he'll complete it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2018 at 7:51 PM, HappyDays said:

Waldman points out it looks like he is staring Foster down for his whole route. I'm not sure why the routes ended up so close together. The pass to Foster is actually right where it needs to be to squeeze it between the corner and the closing safety, the problem is he didn't look off the safety first and didn't judge his closing speed properly. That is the kind of rookie mistake I don't mind at all.

The difficult thing there is after a few steps he is no longer looking to the edge - his eyes have moved inside.  I can not tell from Waldman’s angle if Foster is still outside or if he has come off Foster and is looking for McKenzie.  

McKenzie reaches out and it goes just over his finger tips and it is a bit short and behind Foster.

What none of us knows is did they run the right routes because it is weird they are right on top of each other and was he staring at Foster as Waldman suggests or did he come off to his second receiver and overthrow McKenzie who was coming open and the safety was not a factor.

Edited by Rochesterfan