Week 15: Lions Game Preparation - Inactives Announced with McCoy and Ivory Out

26CornerBlitz

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WBEN/AP-John Wawrow) — Don’t count out LeSean McCoy just yet.

Though the Bills running back missed practice Wednesday to nurse a sore left hamstring, McCoy told The Associated Press there’s a chance he’ll play in Buffalo’s home game against the Detroit Lions on Sunday.

“I want to try to get in a couple of good games before it’s over,” McCoy said, before leaving the locker room.

McCoy winked as he said that in a clear reference acknowledging he’s running out of time to make any semblance of an impact in what could become the worst season in his 10-year career.

He’s topped 100 yards rushing just once, scored twice and managed just 479 yards rushing. That’s 258 yards shy of his career low in 2009, when he had just four starts in 16 games during his rookie season in Philadelphia.

McCoy’s playing status against the Lions is cloudy for various reasons.

For one, he’s injured. McCoy had just 1 yard on two carries and also dropped a pass in playing nine snaps before being sidelined in a 27-23 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.

With Buffalo (4-9) out of playoff contention, the Bills are also focused on evaluating their youth over their final three games.

Bills Today: Keith Ford - This is Only the Beginning

tnpkiktunsz5pboewrax.jpg

Brian Daboll and Matt Patricia: Old Friends Prepare to Match Wits Again on Sunday

bwssx73yiobw4cdpuxza.jpg

The resume’ practically glowed in the pile of prospective candidates for the entry level offensive assistant position with the New England Patriots.

Patriots wide receivers coach Brian Daboll was tasked with weeding through the voluminous pool of candidates for the job opening back in 2004. He couldn’t help but notice the bright orange resume’.

“His resume’ was this big orange Syracuse paper,” said Daboll. “It was ridiculous, but effective.”

“He’s absolutely right,” said Lions head coach Matt Patricia. “I totally did that on purpose. I knew it would be different than everybody else’s. I was coaching at Syracuse University, so I’m glad that it did (stand out). It was bound and had different examples of reports in there and drawings, diagrams. I remember it exactly. We joke about it and laugh about it all the time.”

Daboll would call Patricia, who came in for an interview and ultimately landed the position. It began a 15-year coaching bond that still exists between the two ex-Pats today.

O’HARA’S SCOUTING REPORT: Buffalo Bills

eblgmzrcq1dn5igf3uh5.jpg

Mike OHara - COLUMNIST

It doesn’t lessen the pain for the Buffalo Bills and their legion of loyal fans that the step they’ve taken backward this year was predictable after last season’s leap forward.

Retooling can throw a wrench into expectations, and that’s happening to the Bills after a magical 2017 season under first-year head coach Sean McDermott.

They ended a 17-year postseason drought by making the AFC playoffs as a wild card with a 9-7 won-loss record.

They’re 4-9 and out of playoff contention going into Sunday’s home game against the Detroit Lions, who’ve also taken a step back after a 9-7 record that was not good enough to make the NFC playoffs.

A roster overhaul was planned under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane regardless of last year’s record that revived the fan base.

“It was just amazing to see how it brought a lot of energy to our city and fan base,” McDermott said of the 2017 season in a conference-call interview with the Detroit media. “That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime basis, in terms of breaking a streak.”

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills Today: Keith Ford - This is Only the Beginning

tnpkiktunsz5pboewrax.jpg

Brian Daboll and Matt Patricia: Old Friends Prepare to Match Wits Again on Sunday

bwssx73yiobw4cdpuxza.jpg

The resume’ practically glowed in the pile of prospective candidates for the entry level offensive assistant position with the New England Patriots.

Patriots wide receivers coach Brian Daboll was tasked with weeding through the voluminous pool of candidates for the job opening back in 2004. He couldn’t help but notice the bright orange resume’.

“His resume’ was this big orange Syracuse paper,” said Daboll. “It was ridiculous, but effective.”

“He’s absolutely right,” said Lions head coach Matt Patricia. “I totally did that on purpose. I knew it would be different than everybody else’s. I was coaching at Syracuse University, so I’m glad that it did (stand out). It was bound and had different examples of reports in there and drawings, diagrams. I remember it exactly. We joke about it and laugh about it all the time.”

Daboll would call Patricia, who came in for an interview and ultimately landed the position. It began a 15-year coaching bond that still exists between the two ex-Pats today.

O’HARA’S SCOUTING REPORT: Buffalo Bills

eblgmzrcq1dn5igf3uh5.jpg

Mike OHara - COLUMNIST

It doesn’t lessen the pain for the Buffalo Bills and their legion of loyal fans that the step they’ve taken backward this year was predictable after last season’s leap forward.

Retooling can throw a wrench into expectations, and that’s happening to the Bills after a magical 2017 season under first-year head coach Sean McDermott.

They ended a 17-year postseason drought by making the AFC playoffs as a wild card with a 9-7 won-loss record.

They’re 4-9 and out of playoff contention going into Sunday’s home game against the Detroit Lions, who’ve also taken a step back after a 9-7 record that was not good enough to make the NFC playoffs.

A roster overhaul was planned under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane regardless of last year’s record that revived the fan base.

“It was just amazing to see how it brought a lot of energy to our city and fan base,” McDermott said of the 2017 season in a conference-call interview with the Detroit media. “That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime basis, in terms of breaking a streak.”

......any news on what they plan to do filling Milano's spot?.......looks like the Flowers guy did not pan out (assuming).................

Damon Harrison Rejuvenating the Detroit Lions Run Defense

Ever since Damon “Snacks” Harrison arrived in Detroit, his impact has been felt. Before the Detroit Lions traded for Harrison from the New York Giants on October 24th, 2018, the Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the league. They were ranked 26th against the run and allowed a league-worst, 5.3 yards per carry.

Since the trade, the Lions have been one of the best run defenses in the league. Over the last three weeks, the Detroit Lions have allowed an average of 49.3 yards rushing; they had been allowing an average of 142.5 yards rushing over the first nine games of the season.

Playing in five games since the trade, Snacks has totaled 22 tackles, three tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. The sample size is small, but his impact has been huge. What are some things that he’s doing that the Lions didn’t have before? For starters, he’s a massive human. He stands 6’3 and weighs 353 pounds, so you can’t miss number 98 when he’s on the field.

Plug the Gap 

More often than not, Damon Harrison is going to plug the A-gap. It doesn’t matter which one it is; all that matters is that he plugs it and stops anything and everything. Whether it was with the New York Jets, the New York Giants, or Detroit, that role will always be first and foremost for him. He’s a prototypical nose tackle, and putting him in one-on-one situations against a center is normally ideal.

However, one-on-one situations don’t always happen. On the play above, Harrison is aligned in a 0-technique, and it quickly turns into a double team. He does a great job holding his ground, and once the left guard starts to lets up, chips off and attacks the linebacker, Harrison fights his way back inside. He does a great job with his right hand to get underneath the center and steer him. Lastly, he uses his left hand to help push-pull his way into the rushing lane of the running back.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very impressive stat for Mayfield. Perhaps the most telling of his early career success. 

I would be interested in what percentage of his successful plays vs. the blitz went to Landry or Njoku, two of the best in reading their hot routes.