McDermott or McCarthy?

Joeziehmer

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Cowher actually passed on Bflo.......the late RW actually threw "caution to the wind" and offered Cowher $10 mil/yr in the mid-2000's........Cowher was texting back and forth with Brandon....Cowhere's late wife wanted no part of living in Bflo.......besides, when the Carolina job opened up in Bill's back yard (big spread in North Carolina), he did not pursue it...the "booth" was warm 'n fuzzy....intellectually deficient ownership?.....once Pegula realized his gross mistake of hiring TrainWrecks, did he NOT eat MAJOR money to move beyond the gaffe?......

Although, Ralph opened up his wallet was not going to give Bill and whichever GM that wanted to come more power.  Considering what you call TrainWrecks brought in for talent McDermott really has bottomed out and his “talents” of veteran players like Kelvin and or trying to utilize Clay while letting Nick O’ Leary go has proved his lack of competitive genius.  If Clay fits the process and O’Leary making tough catches in the clutch didn’t, and beating out Clay as well didn’t; maybe it’s a difference in how Gase finds clutch players and McBeane lets them walk.  

1 hour ago, section122 said:

First playoff season in 17 years has you unimpressed?  I know he isn't perfect but jeez....

So according to various people on this board Tyrod gets no credit for the Bills playoffs last year and neither does McDermott.  Who gets credit for last year's 9-7 record and playoff berth?

I think anointing McDermott because we backed our way into the playoffs is wrong. We had a season similar to a handful of other ones over that 17 year span.  I attribute the playoffs to the law of averages.  McDermott did his best to try and miss them though, see: Peterman, Nathan.

I went to two games last year, LA Chargers and JAX Jaguars, and both were miserable. For different reasons our team looked completely ill prepared.  In the Jaguars game, we scored 3 points.  We had this huge moment where we finally make the playoffs as you say, and he laid an egg. The drive before the half in that game where we allowed Blake Bortles to run all over the field while we were running prevent defense was textbook playing not to lose, and look what happened.

If you're going to use one season as a sample, why not this one?

You and other posters might be enamored with McDermott, but I'm not going to look past the following:

• Mis-management of the QB position (last year and this year)
  • Trading out of the Mahomes pick
  • Hiring Rick Dennison (former defensive player) as our OC
  • Hiring Brian Daboll, a thrice failed OC
  • Cutting our punter on a weekly basis
  • Calling Timeouts like they grow on trees just to check the offensive formation
  • Never getting a coaches challenge correct
  • Situationally archaic (especially at the end of halves)
  • Getting blown out an incredible amount of times in his first 25 games (too lazy to look up the number, but it's high)
  • Saying "culture over strategy"
  • Ignoring the offensive line in favor of signing the oft-injured Trent Murphy who, surprise, is often injured
  • Preaching the process then trading for and praising Kelvin Benjamin
  • Trading away Darby for Jordan Matthews and a pick
  • Mentioning that we need the type of players that can play in the weather
  • Pretending that "Buffalo Football" means hard nosed football, when in reality our best years were the most modern passing offense of the 1990's

So let me get this straight, you want a guy who can't win with Aaron Rodgers over a guy that dragged a subpar team into the playoffs last year and even have them somewhat competitive this year even though they've essentially treated the entire season as a sort of preseason?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, fridge said:

I think anointing McDermott because we backed our way into the playoffs is wrong. We had a season similar to a handful of other ones over that 17 year span.  I attribute the playoffs to the law of averages. 

Three points:

1. I'm not anointing McD, I just don't see a reason to even think about getting rid of him at this point. Certainly not for McCarthy.

2. We didn't back into the playoffs. Every team starts out 0-0 and the best 12 make the playoffs. Last year, we were one of the 12.

3. There's no such thing as the law of averages. It's a myth invented by people who never took a statistics class.

29 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Three points:

1. I'm not anointing McD, I just don't see a reason to even think about getting rid of him at this point. Certainly not for McCarthy.

2. We didn't back into the playoffs. Every team starts out 0-0 and the best 12 make the playoffs. Last year, we were one of the 12.

3. There's no such thing as the law of averages. It's a myth invented by people who never took a statistics class.

You chopped up my post, and ignored most of what I had said, then just rehashed what everyone says ever about McDermott... so... I don't even know why I'm responding, but here:

1. When the heck did I say I wanted McCarthy!!??

2. Ok. What does this even mean? Are you arguing that we got help to make the playoffs in the final week of the season?

3. The law of averages is a myth? I used it within the context of of describing the feeling of, "they were bound to make it sooner or later". Not sure how or why you thought I was referring to something genuinely statistical (there is, by the way, a very real predictor method that would state that probability-wise it was nearly impossible for the Bills to make the playoffs for 17 consecutive seasons).

1 hour ago, fridge said:

You chopped up my post, and ignored most of what I had said, then just rehashed what everyone says ever about McDermott... so... I don't even know why I'm responding, but here:

1. When the heck did I say I wanted McCarthy!!??

2. Ok. What does this even mean? Are you arguing that we got help to make the playoffs in the final week of the season?

3. The law of averages is a myth? I used it within the context of of describing the feeling of, "they were bound to make it sooner or later". Not sure how or why you thought I was referring to something genuinely statistical (there is, by the way, a very real predictor method that would state that probability-wise it was nearly impossible for the Bills to make the playoffs for 17 consecutive seasons).

1. This is a thread about McD vs McC, so the McC comment wasn't directed specifically at you. But the rest of your post (which I didn't ignore but chose not to quote) was pretty anti-McD. I was just saying that I'm not anointing him, but I think he deserves time to see his plan through.

2. Short of going undefeated, every team "needs help" to make the playoffs - they need a bunch of other teams to lose more games than they do. Whether or not any of those losses occur in week 17 is irrelevant; what matters is the record at the end of week 17. There are 16 teams in the AFC; of the 12 who didn't win their division, the Bills were the second best, so they made the playoffs. Some years, 9-7 gets you in; other years, 11-5 doesn't. Since teams almost never go undefeated, the phrase "needs help" is meaningless.

3. "Bound to make it sooner or later" assumes random luck. Yeah, an odd bounce here and there can sway a game, but good teams generally make the playoffs and bad teams generally don't. It's not a roll of the dice.