Where do you have to see a game before you die?

When? I was there for a Sox/Yanks game 2 or 3 years ago. Irish Tenor sang God Bless America...

286028[/snapback]

It was a couple years ago. The Yankees got their butts kicked.

I missed the whole opening with color guard, national anthem, jet flyover, etc. because my mother -in-law had an attack of agoraphobia when we walked out on the upper deck. :(

We had to get her someplace where she did not think she was going to spin off the planet! :blink:

I do not go to places like that with her anymore. I was pissed I missed the opening (and most of the first inning) but it is really hard to be mad at my MIL; she is a sweetie. :blink:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a couple years ago. The Yankees got their butts kicked.

I missed the whole opening with color guard, national anthem, jet flyover, etc. because my mother -in-law had an attack of agoraphobia when we walked out on the upper deck.  :(

We had to get her someplace where she did not think she was going to spin off the planet!  :blink:

I do not go to places like that with her anymore. I was pissed I missed the opening  (and most of the first inning) but it is really hard to be mad at my MIL; she is a sweetie.  :blink:

286336[/snapback]

My favorite reason for getting to my seats at Yankee Stadium before the opening pitch is roll call. The right field bleachers chant every Yankees name in the field until they are acknowledged. Some players tip their hats, other wave, others nod- all during the course of the first inning during live action. Awesome

My favorite reason for getting to my seats at Yankee Stadium before the opening pitch is roll call.  The right field bleachers chant every Yankees name in the field until they are acknowledged.  Some players tip their hats, other wave, others nod- all during the course of the first inning during live action.  Awesome

286344[/snapback]

Not exactly a "Yankee tradition," is it? When I was in college in the late '80s and early '90s (i.e. when the Yankees sucked) I would go to games at the Stadium and I'd never see anything like you described. Hell, the bleachers were only half full back then anyway.

Not exactly a "Yankee tradition," is it?  When I was in college in the late '80s and early '90s (i.e. when the Yankees sucked) I would go to games at the Stadium and I'd never see anything like you described.  Hell, the bleachers were only half full back then anyway.

286351[/snapback]

I have been going to Yankee Stadium since 1979. My guess is the roll call started around 1993. Its been awhile they have been doing it. Watch on TV first inning first pitch at Yankee Stadium and you can hear roll call going on.

BTW I love the right field bleachers although its nowhere near as good as it was 10 years ago. It used to general admission, lots of beer, lots of flashing, lots of fights, lots of chants.....it was funner then the game

Any stadium, any time, i'd like to see the old Forum in Montral for a Cup game, and go back and see a game in Ebbets field...

I've been to wrigley, i'd love to get to Fenway...and even tho i hate the spanks, i hafta get to yankee stadium...

I have been to Yankee stadium well over a hundred times- I have seen World Series games there, lots of playoff games

Wrigley probably 30+ games

Fenway 20+ games

MSG for Rangers, Knicks, Saint Johns games

Camp Nu for a Barcelona Soccer Game

Sazka Arena for a Slavia Praha Hockey game

Gambel for UConn basketball games

many, many baseball parks and football stadiums

I have been going to Yankee Stadium since 1979.  My guess is the roll call started around 1993.  Its been awhile they have been doing it.  Watch on TV first inning first pitch at Yankee Stadium and you can hear roll call going on.

BTW I love the right field bleachers although its nowhere near as good as it was 10 years ago.  It used to general admission, lots of beer, lots of flashing, lots of fights, lots of chants.....it was funner then the game

286360[/snapback]

I have four distinct memories of the games I attended at Yankee Stadium:

(1) Sitting in a box along the third base line watching Nolan Ryan pitch for the Rangers in 1990. The best part was when he faced Deion for the first time. Two heaters and a curve that just dropped right off the table and Deion was done. See ya, punk.

(2) Speaking of Deion, I was at his first major league game, in 1989. Had no idea he'd been called up and I was looking at the lineup on the scoreboard and noticed that a #18 was batting 9th and playing centerfield. I thought, "What, did Claudell Washington come out of retirement?" :blink: Then Bob Sheppard announced the lineups (the BEST part of the Stadium experience, bar none) and when he got to the ninth hitter, we all heard, "Batting ninthinthinth, the center fielderderder, number eighteeneeneen, Deiononon Sandersersers. Number eighteeneeneen." As I recall he went 1-4 and beat out an infield chopper.

(3) I went early to a Mariners-Yankees game in May 1989 and watched this nineteen-year-old kid take batting practice for Seattle. He launched bomb after bomb into the upper deck and jaws dropped everywhere. Of course, the kid was Ken Griffey Jr.

(4) In 1995 I went there for an A's-Yankees game and watched a rookie named Derek Jeter start at short for the Yankees. But what I really remember was watching Mark McGwire launch an absolute rocket into the back of the monuments. The place was dead silent when he hit it and all you could hear was the crack of the bat and then a hushed "ohhhhhh" from the crowd. I think they measured it at 462, but I think they missed a hundred feet somewhere.

No stadium/Arena in the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA makes me want to spend money to travel cross country to see a game there.

Now there are a many college stadiums i'd love to see if the opportunity comes.

287078[/snapback]

Ok, name em?

Ok, name em?

287085[/snapback]

Oh man, where do I start?

Neyland Stadium (Tennessee)

Kyle Field (Texas A&M)

The Swamp aka Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Florida)

Michigan Stadium (Michigan)

Ohio Stadium (Ohio St.)

Orange Bowl (Miami)

Kinnick Stadium (Iowa)

Ross-Ade Stadium (Purdue)

That's just to name a few. The atmosphere and tradition in College ball is so much more electric than any professional sport IMO.

I've been to Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Orange Bowl, Florida State, Florida vs. Georgia in Jacksonville, I was in the Orange Bowl for the Flutie miracle but I wish I had been to the Boston Garden prior to them ripping it down. I still want to go to Fenway. I have an opportunity to go to Texas stadium this year to see the Cowboys And I think I would enjoy that. I was born and raised in Florida and have only lived here for 5 years but of all the events I have been to there is nothing like a home Bills game in the Ralph when the fans have a feeling that we have a good team that can win! I can only imagine what it was like in the late 80s and early 90s. I hope we get back to that feeling sonner rather than later.

Orange Bowl (Miami)

287112[/snapback]

No Way.

That's the worse stadium, with one of the worse atmospheres in the town. Miami is not a college town, so when the games get going, the feeling is nowhere near what it is say in Tallahassee.

Oh man, where do I start?

Neyland Stadium (Tennessee)

Kyle Field (Texas A&M)

The Swamp aka Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Florida)

Michigan Stadium (Michigan)

Ohio Stadium (Ohio St.)

Orange Bowl (Miami)

Kinnick Stadium (Iowa)

Ross-Ade Stadium (Purdue)

That's just to name a few. The atmosphere and tradition in College ball is so much more electric than any professional sport IMO.

287112[/snapback]

I would agree with that. Especially in the South and Texas. I've been to Williams-Brice Stadium at the University of South Carolina, and Darrell Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium at the University of Texas, and you're right, the atmosphere is nothing short of electric.

Even Harvard Stadium, the Yale Bowl, Penn's Franklin Field and Princeton's Palmer Stadium (before they tore it down) were incredible places to see games, even though they were usually so empty you could have your own section to yourself.

I agree too.  I've been to a few college stadiums and it is more active than NFL games.

287288[/snapback]

you got that right...college stadiums get rockin...nothin like 30K drunk college kids with you righ tin the thick of it :doh:

I have four distinct memories of the games I attended at Yankee Stadium:

(1) Sitting in a box along the third base line watching Nolan Ryan pitch for the Rangers in 1990.  The best part was when he faced Deion for the first time.  Two heaters and a curve that just dropped right off the table and Deion was done.  See ya, punk.

(2) Speaking of Deion, I was at his first major league game, in 1989.  Had no idea he'd been called up and I was looking at the lineup on the scoreboard and noticed that a #18 was batting 9th and playing centerfield.  I thought, "What, did Claudell Washington come out of retirement?"  :doh:  Then Bob Sheppard announced the lineups (the BEST part of the Stadium experience, bar none) and when he got to the ninth hitter, we all heard, "Batting ninthinthinth, the center fielderderder, number eighteeneeneen, Deiononon Sandersersers.  Number eighteeneeneen."  As I recall he went 1-4 and beat out an infield chopper.

(3) I went early to a Mariners-Yankees game in May 1989 and watched this nineteen-year-old kid take batting practice for Seattle.  He launched bomb after bomb into the upper deck and jaws dropped everywhere.  Of course, the kid was Ken Griffey Jr.

(4) In 1995 I went there for an A's-Yankees game and watched a rookie named Derek Jeter start at short for the Yankees.  But what I really remember was watching Mark McGwire launch an absolute rocket into the back of the monuments.  The place was dead silent when he hit it and all you could hear was the crack of the bat and then a hushed "ohhhhhh" from the crowd.  I think they measured it at 462, but I think they missed a hundred feet somewhere.

286400[/snapback]

BRH- I love reading these stories.

I'll share a couple of mine.

1) 1997 Skydome. Roger v. Neagle. Both in contention for the Cy Young award at this point. It was the first interleague game ever at Skydome. Braves won 3-1 Chipper hit a bomb off Roger. The best part was watching Greg Maddux throwing balls against the OF wall in warm ups. A Jones was standing against the wall with his legs spread and Maddux was about 90 feet away and throwing pitch after pitch between his legs and never came close to hitting him. It was awesome.

2) Silver Stadium early 90's Wings v. Pawtucket. This game was awesome for me because I got Chris Hoiles autograph and some huge guy from Pawtucket gave me one. I couldn't tell who he was from his autograph so I waited until he came up to bat to see who he was. It was Mo Vaughn.

3) 2000 AAA Allstar game in Rochester. I was working for Xerox at the time and got free tickets. Got to see tons of all-stars. It was awesome.

I'd like to get to Fenway one day. I drove around Wrigley field once.

Best Stadiums I've been in:

==========================

The Ralph. Hey - it's my team!

HSBC Arena - Hey - it's my team!

Jacob's Field - Hey - it's my team!

The Aud - upper golds. I was in the upper golds when Brad May scored on May Day. We went wild that night!

Tiger Stadium - that place just exuded baseball. You could just feel it.

Ohio Stadium - I've been to 7 OSU football games. Electric, rocking atmosphere.

Joe Louis Arena - great atmosphere for a Red Wings game. Walking past Anna Kournikova in a leather mini skirt didn't hurt, either!

Maple Leaf Gardens - Saw the Sabres play the Leafs there once. 4-4 tie, but Brad May and Rob Ray each destroyed their opponents in their fights, so that was cool.

Worst stadiums:

=============================

Comiskey Park - the new one. What a dump. Can't believe it was built in the 90's. It might as well have been built in 1970. What a cereal bowl. I waited 4 innings for a friggin' hot dog. Four innings!

Pontiac Silverdome - Domed football. Need I say more? Ok - Detroit Lions football. Need I say more?

Three Rivers Stadium - try watching a Pirates game from the centerfield bleachers. Hey, I was 12 and my grandpa bought the tickets. Who was I to argue?

I also went to Forbes field in Pittsburgh in the late 60's with my folks. I don't remember much, except they had some catwalks there that scared the crap out of me.