For all you old-time Buffalonians

I grew up off of Potter Rd. also ... In the area by the big tower on Dorance.

I remember walking over to the Seneca Mall to hang out at the places mentioned here ... Cavages, Spencers, Ground Round .... Those were the days.

286185[/snapback]

My parents still live on Tudor.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Henry's Hamburgers, That place was my all time favorite, once McDonalds and Burger king set up shop theyy were history.

I also used to work at Your Host, spent most of my money there too during the winter months after freezing to death in the cold, we'd go in and get a burger and hot chocolate, they are all gone now too.....

286322[/snapback]

I had an earlier post about Henry's. Fries were great back then - they used a lot of beef fat.

I miss Your Host. In my neighborhood, ther were five - one on Delaware next to Loblaws/Food Arena (used to work there) opposite the YMCA, the one on Delaware closer to Deleware Park, and the little and bigger ones on Delaware in Kenmore a bit north of Kenmore Ave., and the one also on Delaware close to Sheridan and in the same plaza as the Royal Host - which was a pretty good supper club.

Now you've got me wracking my brain...was the drive-in at Walden & Dick called "The Twin Drive-In"?  I know there were two screens...didn't they refer to them as the East & West screens or have I completely lost my mind? :blink:

286306[/snapback]

You are correct. They were the East and West Twin drive-ins. Great place for a cheap date and little action in my high school days! :blink:

Uncle Sam's - that takes me back.  Saw a group there back in 68 or 69 - they called themselves the Chicago Transit Authority.  Heard they shortened their name shortly after that.  Hmm....

286310[/snapback]

I saw U2 there during the first NA tour. Their single at the time ws "I will follow".

Also gone but not forgotten....

A&P supermarkets and the S&H Green stamps they used to hand out.

Sattlers - 998 Broadway

Barraccinis restaurant(on Union where it meets George Urban)

The Barrelhead

Poor House West

Park Drive-In

One of the original McDonalds on Fillmore near Broadway(building still standing)

Fun & Games Park and the adjacent Blue Whale car wash

Crystal Beach Amuesment Park :blink:

Also gone but not forgotten....

A&P supermarkets and the S&H Green stamps they used to hand out.

Sattlers - 998 Broadway

Barraccinis restaurant(on Union where it meets George Urban)

The Barrelhead

Poor House West

Park Drive-In

One of the original McDonalds on Fillmore near Broadway(building still standing)

Fun & Games Park and the adjacent Blue Whale car wash

Crystal Beach Amuesment Park :blink:

286341[/snapback]

Ever see Talas at Stage 1?

Twin Fair could never compare to Two Guys on Sheridan. As a kid I loved the bowling allys in the back.

286189[/snapback]

Oh dude, my mom used to take me there all the time. Loved those bowling alleys!

What about Henry's Hamburgers, That place was my all time favorite, once McDonalds and Burger king set up shop theyy were history.

I also used to work at Your Host, spent most of my money there too during the winter months after freezing to death in the cold, we'd go in and get a burger and hot chocolate, they are all gone now too.....

286322[/snapback]

Henry's was the place I was thinking of. It was near the fireplace at the Seneca mall. They had little fried onion nuggets. Great stuff.

I had an earlier post about Henry's.  Fries were great back then - they used a lot of beef fat.

I miss Your Host. In my neighborhood, ther were five - one on Delaware next to Loblaws/Food Arena (used to work there) opposite the YMCA, the one on Delaware closer to Deleware Park, and the little and bigger ones on Delaware in Kenmore a bit north of Kenmore Ave., and the one also on Delaware close to Sheridan and in the same plaza as the Royal Host - which was a pretty good supper club.

286332[/snapback]

In high school, we'd have awesome parties in the woods around Eagle Heights in OP. It was like the party in Dazed and Confused. Then we'd go to Your Host in East Aurora around 3 am. Everyting on the menu was like $2. Great late night hang out place. I always felt sorry for the poor waitress that would work like a mule and made like .25 cents tip off our drunk asses.

Yes. The one in my neighborhood was on Elmwood. My brother-in-law used to call it "The Melting Pot". :blink:

I also recall Maxims, their competitor on Hertel Avenue.  There was a Henry's Hamburger there, too. 15 cents for a burger, 19 cents for a cheeseburger.  Ernie Warlick owned the Henry's on Main Street.

286129[/snapback]

My old neighborhood...Ernie Warlick's was next to St Mary's school for the deaf on Main Street. A friend of mine's sister was a penguin who taught there. She said one of the deaf kids found a hair in her burger one time. From that point on, the deaf sign for Ernie Warlick's was to take your hand and make a motion like you were making hamberger patties in your arm pit.

Ernie also opened a place in Central Park Plaza he used to work the counter in both places. he had HUGE hands