Derek Anderson Good for Josh Allen?

Miracle Bills

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No I don’t think anything changes if Anderson is here Day One.

And I think the Bills made the right move on McCarron. Two days into training camp it was obvious that AJ was a dump off artist ala Matt Cassel and nothing else. 

We’ve done the whole “mentor” crap with young QBs in Buffalo and it never makes a difference. You can either play or you can’t. 

I guess i have this ringing in my ears. Bills have never really developed a QB. And lets for sake of argument leave J Kelley out of this for now.
to me, Allen needs the Old guys in the room. This season especially was key.

But i certainly will not argue that a QB has it or does not. regardless of circumstance.
with proper mentoring i think folks ramp up quicker and more complete.

I wish Anderson was AJM and Barkley? maybe Peterman, when the season started.
who starts a rookie QB season with only one QB from the fifth round who has shown severe traits of mistakes when passing the ball ?
and everyone , i think at least , considered Allen a project.

and for fun. : )

who was the mentor crap you note ?

On 11/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, Miracle Bills said:

Anderson is not going to be the backup for Allen next year.  Barkley probably will be or should be.  The Bills goal should be to have Allen and Barkley for years as the starter and backup. If Allen does not develop then Barkley is more than adequate as a starter. Anderson has already proven he is not.

It’s only one game but Barkley has shown thus far he can be depended on as a back up.  Not sure about starter.  Too early for that. 

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

who starts a rookie QB season with only one QB from the fifth round who has shown severe traits of mistakes when passing the ball ?
and everyone , i think at least , considered Allen a project.

The Bills did all of the above in 2013. 

They tried to mentor rookie EJ Manuel with a washed up veteran on his last legs on Kevin Kolb.

Then when Kolb predictably flamed out, the Bills went into the season with EJ, undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel and journeyman practice squader Thad Lewis. Coached by a rookie HC in Doug Marrone, and rookie OC Nate Hackett who also doubled as the QB Coach. 

As we saw, across multiple Coaching regimes, EJ was never going to get it no matter who his mentor was. 

On 11/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, billsfan1959 said:

Understanding how things should be done and having the ability to actually do them are not the same thing.

That's what coaches are for. Anderson has shown me nothing to believe he is really interested in his role. If he wanted to do that, he'd start being involved in coaching. He just wants the pay check. 

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That's what coaches are for. Anderson has shown me nothing to believe he is really interested in his role. If he wanted to do that, he'd start being involved in coaching. He just wants the pay check. 

My post addressed the point the OP made that Anderson's sub-par, on field play prevented him from being a good teacher/mentor. It was a general statement that one doesn't need to have exceptional ability regarding a particular activity (such as playing QB) to be an exceptional teacher regarding that activity. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Anderson is interested in that role. In fact, you didn't write a single thing that was relevant in any way to what I wrote. It is amazing how often you miss the entire point of a post.

Edited by billsfan1959

22 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills did all of the above in 2013. 

They tried to mentor rookie EJ Manuel with a washed up veteran on his last legs on Kevin Kolb.

Then when Kolb predictably flamed out, the Bills went into the season with EJ, undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel and journeyman practice squader Thad Lewis. Coached by a rookie HC in Doug Marrone, and rookie OC Nate Hackett who also doubled as the QB Coach. 

As we saw, across multiple Coaching regimes, EJ was never going to get it no matter who his mentor was. 

yes indeed. Kolb tripped on wet mat type of flamed out. who the heck sees that coming. Marrone hated EJM as a starter i think. that whole thing was doomed with Nix chasing a QB in the Draft.. Nate Hackett was in no position to develop a QB nor was Marrone who could not field an O line worth a spittoon.
sound familiar ?

cursed i tell ya...

Edited by 3rdand12