UB-24 Akron-6 Bulls 6-1, bowl eligible in 7 games, best start since '58.

PromoTheRobot

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know,it is asking a lot and it there are a couple of good teams coming up, but I would love to see them run the table, finishing at 13-1 and in the top 25.

They have two more tough games, @Toledo and vsOhio. But both are beatable with AJ83 back. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They have two more tough games, @Toledo and vsOhio. But both are beatable with AJ83 back. 

I am not saying we beat Army with AJ back, Promo, but it just would have been a little bit...better.

I am proud of this team right now and I believe (as we all should) that this will be the best UB season in FBS/Div 1A.

...however, I am worried I am going to get to the end of the season and wonder 'what if" with respect to going undefeated.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not saying we beat Army with AJ back, Promo, but it just would have been a little bit...better.

I am proud of this team right now and I believe (as we all should) that this will be the best UB season in FBS/Div 1A.

...however, I am worried I am going to get to the end of the season and wonder 'what if" with respect to going undefeated.

Beating Army would have kept them in the polls discussion. Despite the CMU win they aren't getting poll votes now. They will have to win 3-4 more, I think, before they get back on the radar.  It really looked to me like the coaching staff gets really conservative when Anthony Johnson is not playing. That's kind of a knock on Tyree Jackson, that they limit his pass plays without AJ. Luckily they have a solid corps of RBs, and that won them the CMU game. Leipold probably feels like there's no need to rush AJ back from the hamstring as long as they play teams they can run on. I doubt Akron will be that tough. Expect Johnson back for Toledo.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Beating Army would have kept them in the polls discussion. Despite the CMU win they aren't getting poll votes now. They will have to win 3-4 more, I think, before they get back on the radar.  It really looked to me like the coaching staff gets really conservative when Anthony Johnson is not playing. That's kind of a knock on Tyree Jackson, that they limit his pass plays without AJ. Luckily they have a solid corps of RBs, and that won them the CMU game. Leipold probably feels like there's no need to rusj AJ back from the hamstring as long as they play teams they can run on. I doubt Akron will be that tough. Expect Johnson back for Toledo.

Thank you, Promo.

What the hell, I mean I thought it was just me that noticed that.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Beating Army would have kept them in the polls discussion. Despite the CMU win they aren't getting poll votes now. They will have to win 3-4 more, I think, before they get back on the radar.  It really looked to me like the coaching staff gets really conservative when Anthony Johnson is not playing. That's kind of a knock on Tyree Jackson, that they limit his pass plays without AJ. Luckily they have a solid corps of RBs, and that won them the CMU game. Leipold probably feels like there's no need to rush AJ back from the hamstring as long as they play teams they can run on. I doubt Akron will be that tough. Expect Johnson back for Toledo.

UB has always been balanced with Leipold...even with Tyree and AJ they rarely throw it 35-40 times a game

he runs a numbers offense. If he has more hats at the LoS than defenders In the box they will check to run , every time pretty much. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th down.. if they have the numbers out wide they check to pass.. 

thats why they check to the sideline every play, the coordinator assesses the defensive alignment and counters

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Glad UB is winning but what a horrible offensive performance. They're winning thanks to the D.

Yeah, one of those days where little is clicking. Looks like UB starting to wear them down a little though. 

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No Anthony Johnson, although he did make one catch today. He's hasn't played since. It's starting to look like Tyree Jackson needs AJ to look like a stud.

DCs make AJ their game plan and that opens it up for the other receivers. With Johnson out, defenses have clamped down on Osborne and nobody else gets open with regularity it seems. 

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

DCs make AJ their game plan and that opens it up for the other receivers. With Johnson out, defenses have clamped down on Osborne and nobody else gets open with regularity it seems. 

It’s a super young WR Corp outside of AJ and Osborne

their number 3-4 are pretty much RS sophomores Nunn and RS Freshmen Charlie Jones

they need more time but I really like Charlie Jones

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.