What is Shelton worth to us?

Frez

If teams are not willing to give a 2nd for Edge or Alexander, then Travis isn't worth a second rounder.

283253[/snapback]

Heres the differance. Edge and Alexander want big cake , so its not just trading the draft pick, but having the room to get a deal done for these guys. Remember, Edge at the very least costs you the franchise number, which I believe is around $7M. But, no one is going to trade for him unless a long term deal is done , and Edge and Alexander will want what Portis got last year from Danny in DC. I think, not sure, around $15-17M in bonus, with a total deal worth over 30M.

Now, with Travis you have a low cap number this year, but would also think that the aquiring team would want to know that a new deal will be worked out, as why trade a 2nd or even a third for a guy who might not be there over a year.

In all likelyhood the Cards are going to release him on 6/1.  Why then oh why would we give the Cards anything for a guy we will most likely have the opportunity to aquire at no cost?

283278[/snapback]

Because, he is signed to a reasonable contract. 3million / year, plus Arizona already paid the signing bonus. If Shelton is released, the Bills would have to a) be able to outbid anyone else that is interested in him, and b) negotiate a new contract with him, including at least a modest signing bonus.

2004 annual says

Solid skills to protect the QB, former hoops player has good feet, hands

Left Tackle LJ Shelton has the quick feet to deal with speed pass ruhers and the girth to block the run effectively

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not just fill the need & make the trade

then we can focus on another position in the draft

Yes! And if he is worth outbidding for we will! If he is sooooooo good TD would have snatched him up a longgggg time ago, you all know that. This guy can't start for the Cardinals, the Cardinals for christ sake. Why we are all Jones'n for this guy I will never understand.

If the article in the buffalo News is accurate and the Cardinals have an offer on the table for a straight up trade, and Henry is not holding things up with contract demands, then I think the Bills should pull the trigger.

Boy it sounds to me like there are sooo many other teams making offers for this guy so we better make the trade NOW! (sarcasm off) Even if he is as good as some of you think he is, and the Cards have made an offer to trade straight up for Henry, why do we need to make this happen before the Draft? See how things work out over draft weekend, many packages can be worked with TH in mix, vs. without him.

I'm still not sold on this guy.

2004 annual says

Solid skills to protect the QB, former hoops player has good feet, hands

Left Tackle LJ Shelton has the quick feet to deal with speed pass ruhers and the girth to block the run effectively

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not just fill the need & make the trade

then we can focus on another position in the draft

283368[/snapback]

I think the question in TDs mind is what is the difference between

Shelton at LT and Teague at LT... If Teague at LT works better for TD,

then he is not going to have to pay 3m per year for a center.

If the article in the buffalo News is accurate and the Cardinals have an offer on the table for a straight up trade, and Henry is not holding things up with contract demands, then I think the Bills should pull the trigger.

283392[/snapback]

But if the Bills do not think highly of Shelton then the deal doesn't benefit the Bills at all.

Why waste the trade, there is still a month to go before the draft and if nothng better surfaces then the Bills might bite.

In all likelyhood the Cards are going to release him on 6/1.  Why then oh why would we give the Cards anything for a guy we will most likely have the opportunity to aquire at no cost?

283278[/snapback]

1 -> We get rid of TH and hopefully get a draft pick(swap 2nd's or 4th round pick?).

2 -> The price of Shelton 3Myr/ for 4 years is great for a LT.

On the open market who knows what kind of yahoos will overpay for Shelton.

Why would the Bills give up a 2nd rounder when they aren't competing with any other team for his services ? Several other teams mentioned in early March all signed alternatives and are no longer interested in Shelton.

Sounds like TD is playing poker for a better deal.

Why would the Bills give up a 2nd rounder when they aren't competing with any other team for his services ? Several other teams mentioned in early March all signed alternatives and are no longer interested in Shelton.

Sounds like TD is playing poker for a better deal.

284901[/snapback]

One of the advantages of TD being TD, and doing and saying the things he does in public, like just walking away from the Demulling deal because it didn't fit his price (whether that was true or not is arguable but that is the perception that TD left), I could easily imagine a conversation in Arizona going something along the lines of: "That sonuvabitch Donohoe doesn't give a sh-- about anything. He'll just walk away from this deal in a heartbeat. If we want Henry, we better decide if he is worth the swap of picks and Shelton, who we're not keeping anyway. Because that bastard in Buffalo will screw us."