September 11th Anniversary --Post Your Thoughts

Tiberius

Just now, DC Tom said:

I think you're an idiot.  You just had to encourage LaDexter, didn't you?

Naw, La Dexter would fill any thread with that B.S.

We need a thread.............................every year.

“Seventeen years ago this morning, four coordinated terrorist attacks claimed the lives of 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 more, and changed the New York skyline forever.”

here’s a passage from Lee Harris’s Civilization And Its Enemies.

Forgetfulness occurs when those who have been long inured to civilized order can no longer remember a time in which they had to wonder whether their crops would grow to maturity without being stolen or their children sold into slavery by a victorious foe.

They forget that in time of danger, in the face of the Enemy, they must trust and confide in each other, or perish.

They forget, in short, that there has ever been a category of human experience called the Enemy. And that, before 9/11, was what had happened to us. The very concept of the Enemy had been banished from our moral and political vocabulary. An enemy was just a friend we hadn’t done enough for — yet. Or perhaps there had been a misunderstanding, or an oversight on our part — something that we could correct. And this means that that our first task is that we must try to grasp what the concept of the Enemy really means.

The Enemy is someone who is willing to die in order to kill you. And while it is true that the Enemy always hates us for a reason — it is his reason, and not ours.

bradwtcsm.jpg..................longform-falling-man-ap-1536604107.jpg?c

17 years ago... I was in middle school and there were rumors going around the study hall I was in about the United States being attacked. Nobody knew exactly what was happening and about an hour later everyone was rushed into the Cafeteria where the announcement was made as to what happened. I also had a paper route for the afternoon Buffalo News. The paper was delayed so they could get an image of the attack on the front page. My route took 3-4x as long that day - I could not stop looking at that image and thinking how could someone do this?

• Like (+1) 1

AP010911010220-913x1024.jpg.................................................AP01091105887-974x1024.jpg

At 9:03am, the Islamic hijackers of United Airlines Flight 175 ...................................................................President Bush’s Chief of Staff Andy Card whispers into his ear:

crash it into the south tower of the World Trade Center (2 WTC)...............................................................“A second plane has hit the second tower. America is under attack.”

Political Cartoons by Pat Cross

Edited by B-Man

I've never told this story here before.

I rarely tell it at all to be honest, though I think about it frequently.

On the night of September 10th, 2001 I was sitting on a barstool in downtown Providence with close friends to the left and right of me, lining nearly the entire left bend of a medium length "L" shaped bar.  I was 24 years old.  It was an old haunt called Steam Alley, and it's not there anymore.

It was about 9 o'clock PM, and while we had already downed a few drinks, a few drinks were nothing that would slow us down in the morning in our early 20s.

One of my friends, still one of my best to this day, said he had to leave because he had an early business flight out to the west coast.  We were all mostly fresh out of school at that point, and hadn't been working real, career oriented jobs for that long.  Matt and myself were the only two of us who had ever had to fly for work at that point in our young careers, though I flew very infrequently, and we started giving him a hard time because it came across as boastful; we were young, and hadn't yet come to resent being away from home, stuck in holes like Cleveland for weeks at a time.

Matt was excited though, because he was flying to California; and it was part of an opportunity he had been given to work on a project with some of his senior staff members.  He was excited.

But, we razzed him anyway.  We managed to keep him there for another 45 minutes or so, but his insisting "just one more then I really have to go," came to an abrupt end after 3 more beers, and he asked for his tab.  He was flying out of Logan rather than Providence, because there were no direct flights out of TF Green to Los Angeles until later in the morning, and he wanted to travel with his colleagues.

I had a pretty good buzz on at the time, and made some terrible quip about his plane landing in the ocean, and Matt turned green.  He was always nervous about flying, and is, to this day, wildly superstitious; and he punched me dead in my chest.

Then he laughed, called me an !@#$, crumbled up his tab, and ordered a round of drinks for the group.  We stayed at the bar drinking until midnight, and Matt changed his flight to fly out of Providence later in the day on the 11th.

The plane Matt was scheduled to be on, American Airlines flight 11, crashed into the North Tower.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

SHANKSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — President Donald Trump is marking 17 years since the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil by visiting the Pennsylvania field that became a Sept. 11 memorial.

Trump and his wife, Melania, arrived in Shanksville on Tuesday for the somber remembrance. It's where a California-bound commercial airliner crashed on Sept. 11, 2001, after the 40 passengers and crew members learned what was happening and attempted to regain control of the aircraft. Everyone on board was killed.

Nearly 3,000 people died on Sept. 11 when other airplanes were flown into New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon in an attack planned by al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden. Nearly a decade later, bin Laden was killed in May 2011 during a U.S. military operation ordered by President Barack Obama.

Trump, a New York native making his first visit as president to the Shanksville site, will focus on honoring the many lives that were lost that day.

"Certainly the focus will be on remembering that horrific day and remembering the lives that were lost, and certainly honoring the individuals who were not only lost that day, but also put their lives of the line to help in that process," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.

This seems to be a fitting choice to me because traditionally, most of the attention is focused on the Pentagon and, of course, the site of the Twin Towers in New York City. The story of Flight 93 is an inspirational one.

The new memorial has 40 massive wind chimes, honoring the lives lost when the plane went down as passengers struck back, fighting to regain control of the aircraft. A significant crowd is expected.

Flight93.jpg

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

On the night of September 10th, 2001 I was sitting on a barstool in downtown Providence with close friends to the left and right of me, lining nearly the entire left bend of a medium length "L" shaped bar.  I was 24 years old.  It was an old haunt called Steam Alley, and it's not there anymore.

It was about 9 o'clock PM, and while we had already downed a few drinks, a few drinks were nothing that would slow us down in the morning in our early 20s.

One of my friends, still one of my best to this day, said he had to leave because he had an early business flight out to the west coast.  We were all mostly fresh out of school at that point, and hadn't been working real, career oriented jobs for that long.  Matt and myself were the only two of us who had ever had to fly for work at that point in our young careers, though I flew very infrequently, and we started giving him a hard time because it came across as boastful; we were young, and hadn't yet come to resent being away from home, stuck in holes like Cleveland for weeks at a time.

Matt was excited though, because he was flying to California; and it was part of an opportunity he had been given to work on a project with some of his senior staff members.  He was excited.

But, we razzed him anyway.  We managed to keep him there for another 45 minutes or so, but his insisting "just one more then I really have to go," came to an abrupt end after 3 more beers, and he asked for his tab.  He was flying out of Logan rather than Providence, because there were no direct flights out of TF Green to Los Angeles until later in the morning, and he wanted to travel with his colleagues.

I had a pretty good buzz on at the time, and made some terrible quip about his plane landing in the ocean, and Matt turned green.  He was always nervous about flying, and is, to this day, wildly superstitious; and he punched me dead in my chest.

Then he laughed, called me an !@#$, crumbled up his tab, and ordered a round of drinks for the group.  We stayed at the bar drinking until midnight, and Matt changed his flight to fly out of Providence later in the day on the 11th.

The plane Matt was scheduled to be on, American Airlines flight 11, crashed into the North Tower.

Thank you for sharing your story. Life is so precious. Enjoy every sandwich.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Thank you for sharing that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Hope nothing like this happens again. Really unleashed the best and worst in us. 

all i will say is that if one simply takes a cursory look under the covers, there are serious issues with the publicly digested cover story.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

all i will say is that if one simply takes a cursory look under the covers, there are serious issues with the publicly digested cover story.

In other words, you have firm evidence of something entirely different than what most people believe but you won't talk about it.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

In other words, you have firm evidence of something entirely different than what most people believe but you won't talk about it.

ummm, i don't believe thats what i said. i believe what i did infer is that one should look deeper and make up their own mind. 

on this day, out of respect for those who lost loved ones, that is as far as i will venture. 

tomorrow is another day however....

Edited by Foxx

AP01091102602-1024x684.jpg                      AP01091102050-1024x654.jpg

At 9:58am, the south tower of the World Trade Center begins to collapse           ...................The Pentagon.........extensive damage

AP01091103558-670x1024.jpg                           .............       AP01091103175-685x1024.jpg                                   

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Sounds like Trump! 

Hateful, scapegoating lie! 

Here’s the story as Trump told it:

Hey, I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering.