Coming Out: Transgender Conservative

That sucks that Youtube has de-monitized all her videos. Sure, they're not actually censoring anyone by doing that, but a lot of vloggers and youtubers use the income to help support their channel, so it does have an effect on their ability to keep new material coming.

There is another channel, one that I subscribe to called Spectre Media Group which has effected by Youtube's policy changes. SMG has had old videos de-monitized years after the fact due to language, specifically the frequent F-bombs.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:46 AM, joesixpack said:

The demonetize anyone that disagrees with their orthodoxy. I wouldn't mind antitrust legislation being used on them.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:19 AM, Nanker said:

Why aren’t these Internet companies considered “common carriers”? 

There's no doubt that certain Youtube channels are treated differently because of their content. If Youtube penalizes certain users by taking away their ability to earn money from their posted material, then I'm inclined to believe that they should have to make a legitimate case as to why they do so, especially if someone (Youtube) will continue to profit from the clicks.

But we also have a situation where a media company is deciding what type of content they approve of, which seems to me to be well within their right to do. Do we really want to cede the type of power to the government to force companies like twitter and youtube to comply with a government-defined version of fairness? Can't the market bring balance to social media, at least as an eventuality?

I'm involved in a couple Youtube channels, and have a vested interest in how this plays out.

• Like (+1) 1