25,000 Foot Jump Without Parachute

Fadingpain

What's the difference between 10 feet and 10,000 feet.

One time I was canoeing and pointed out to my canoe partner that the lake where we on was 700 feet deep. Well, my friend flipped out.  What's 10 feet or 10,000... Bottom ain't gonna help.  Good thing I was on stern controlling the canoe.  He still made us paddle by shore! /smh...

All he has to do is hit the bag!

That's the task.  And he had three people to help him to the last 1,000 feet.  

Still very impressive.  But, that's the state of mind he's gotta get into.  Once you jump, you jump.  Let the planning take over and stick it in the bag.  Now that I read the article I posted above, I gotta see how he landed. Did he land in bag on his back.  He probably practiced at terminal velocity WITH A CHUTE.

What's another 1,000s of feet. Still boggles the mind.

BTW, heights freak me out.  But I am a skier and will jump into anything to my ability, have faith in technical aspects of things. Understand the physics, eliminate what can go wrong. Once you jump, can't bail.  Move forward with the plan. When you get the yips in the middle, that's bad! Don't get overwhelmed with the big picture.  A lot of expert skiers quit in the face of an avalanche when they have ability to ski out.  This guy jumping, had the right frame of mind.  He knew he wouldn't fail.  But man, what a set of balls!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Cripple Creek said:

I hate heights. I’m ok, generally, until I look down. I almost passed out a few months ago while looking down from the top of a fairly tall building. 

Still, many years ago I told my kids that if they ever wanted to skydive I’d go with them. I know I’m safe with one of them, but the other two have me worried. I’m afraid that they’ll do it and make me go out of spite. ? 

You only need to worry if they start asking about your life insurance policy before you go, or ask you to sign some forms. 

On 8/23/2018 at 8:08 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Nope.   We stayed on the 36th floor of a hotel in Panama City Beach back in 2005 and I couldn't go out on the balcony.  NO flippin way am i jumping out of an airplane that's not on fire or crashing.   

I'm not even going up in an airplane, let alone jumping out of one. 

On 8/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, BuffaloBill said:

How would you even think this stunt up?

One of those things that you think up with your buddies after a night of heavy drinking then realize how stupid it was in the morning.

Watch where he lands!  It's a little too close to the edge for my liking!  It wasn't a problem, but still...he didn't exactly drop right in the center of that thing.  And what if he had hit the edge of it?  It would have likely cut through whatever part of his body hit.  Take off a leg, cut his torso in half, etc.

I just have no idea how or why people do this sort of thing.  I understand that he obviously gets a high off adrenaline, but jump a motocross bike or something where you aren't 100% dead for sure if it goes wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch where he lands!  It's a little too close to the edge for my liking!  It wasn't a problem, but still...he didn't exactly drop right in the center of that thing.  And what if he had hit the edge of it?  It would have likely cut through whatever part of his body hit.  Take off a leg, cut his torso in half, etc.

I just have no idea how or why people do this sort of thing.  I understand that he obviously gets a high off adrenaline, but jump a motocross bike or something where you aren't 100% dead for sure if it goes wrong.

It pays the bills.  I gotta watch it again, did he land on back, legs slightly higher.  Head high (of course)?

On 8/27/2018 at 8:30 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

It pays the bills.  I gotta watch it again, did he land on back, legs slightly higher.  Head high (of course)?

Legs, arms, and head all very high. Starts the turn to his back at 2:11, enters the net at 2:12. 1 second (actually think it was less) to make the turn, position himself, and enter the net. One frame at 2:12 shows the enter position, so you need to go to 2:11 and advance frame by frame to see it.