Soccer 2018-19

row_33

9 hours ago, BritBill said:

Sat here waiting for the Spanish season to start. 

We're heading to Majorca next week but the fixture list hasn't fallen kindly. Real Mallorca are playing away on the Saturday so we won't get to see a game. Looked at jumping on the ferry to Bareclona but it's just a bit too long a trip to justify it.

We'll find a bar/restaurant to watch Real Madrid on the Sunday night though.

Ha, tough life.  Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1

I am excited for this year's Prem. I am not happy about my Spurs not buying a single player. I am happy that they didn't sell anyone and extended some key players.

I also can't wait to see the new stadium open up, if it doesn't get delayed any further.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:34 AM, BritBill said:

Sat here waiting for the Spanish season to start. 

We're heading to Majorca next week but the fixture list hasn't fallen kindly. Real Mallorca are playing away on the Saturday so we won't get to see a game. Looked at jumping on the ferry to Bareclona but it's just a bit too long a trip to justify it.

We'll find a bar/restaurant to watch Real Madrid on the Sunday night though.

Tell us how it goes

—————

week one comments, for the 20th year I resolved and failed to get thru 10 minutes of an EPL game where both teams stink, life is too short. Took awhile to get thru 6 taped games with long work hours.

Scotland-  Celtic loses to Hearts and gets bounced by AEK in the Champions League. Ex-Rangers danger man Lafferty volleys the goal of the week to the delight of the less trumpeted Edinburgh religious split. Scottish crowds are very close to the players and 300-pound fans caused a lot of delay-button action, including the women.

France - PSG rests a lot of WC players and i don’t think Caen even got the ball past half. An easy time this year for the favourites, see if this hurts when when they face real teams in Europe.

Nothing dramatic in England, Man City laughed at Arsenal. Spurs played their WC stars and gave them no rest, a unique strategy in Europe this week.

Spain begins this weekend...

8 games PVR worthy this weekend, will fast forward if a heavy favourite goes up 2-0

---------------------------

Champions League Draw:

Group A: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Brugge

Group B: Barcelona, Tottenham, PSV Eindhoven, Inter Milan

Group ? PSG, Napoli, Liverpool, Red Star Belgrade

Group ? Lokomotiv Moscow, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray

Group E: Bayern Munich, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens

Group F: MANCHESTER CITY, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Hoffenheim

Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Viktoria Plzen

Group H: Juventus, MANCHESTER UNITED, Valencia, Young Boys

Milan 2 Roma 1 in a great game yesterday, replay overturned a goal by each team, part of the future I guess

BeIn lost the rights to Serie A so the option here is Teletino in digital with English or pay a few bucks a month for RIA in Italian but not digital

Telelatino is free so I’ll enjoy that.  But I want Italian commentary for the game and may go to that.

the worst is that goofball Ray Hudson screaming over every non-event and then boasting he knew Barca world win today over the worst team in Spain. Makes Gruden seem humble and useful.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:35 AM, row_33 said:

Milan 2 Roma 1 in a great game yesterday, replay overturned a goal by each team, part of the future I guess

BeIn lost the rights to Serie A so the option here is Teletino in digital with English or pay a few bucks a month for RIA in Italian but not digital

Telelatino is free so I’ll enjoy that.  But I want Italian commentary for the game and may go to that.

the worst is that goofball Ray Hudson screaming over every non-event and then boasting he knew Barca world win today over the worst team in Spain. Makes Gruden seem humble and useful.

Can you get ESPN+ for Serie A streaming rights?  $4.99/mo, not too shabby.  

I know it's an acquired taste, but I love me some Rocky Hudson. 

36 minutes ago, stony said:

Can you get ESPN+ for Serie A streaming rights?  $4.99/mo, not too shabby.  

I know it's an acquired taste, but I love me some Rocky Hudson. 

I’m in Canada, no ESPN on its own. 

i watch La Liga in Spanish, Hudson is a moron and probably drunken fool on the air, should be removed permanently. I’m watching soccer as a fan, don’t need a jackass court jester ruining it.

Tell us how it goes

There was a small bar over the road from our hotel. It was a bar for the locals and they had the game on two large screens. I sat and had a few bottles of Estrella and my little boy enjoyed a coke. Father and son enjoying a game together. Perfect.

Madrid won 4-1 too after going a goal down. My son is a big Luka Modric fan and got to see him come on late in the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

There was a small bar over the road from our hotel. It was a bar for the locals and they had the game on two large screens. I sat and had a few bottles of Estrella and my little boy enjoyed a coke. Father and son enjoying a game together. Perfect.

Madrid won 4-1 too after going a goal down. My son is a big Luka Modric fan and got to see him come on late in the game. 

Thanks!  Good to see WC heroes are starting to get back into the lineups. Modric is my favourite player currenttly.

In case you missed it...

UEFA Nations League begins this week, why the top clubs aren’t in action.

Repaces friendlies with a four league thing, with promotion and relegation and odd-year competitions.

I’ll let you read up on this next new great thing...

Euro 2020 qualifying starts March 2019, in case we were going to die without this national action after the WC just ended........

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

In case you missed it...

UEFA Nations League begins this week, why the top clubs aren’t in action.

Repaces friendlies with a four league thing, with promotion and relegation and odd-year competitions.

I’ll let you read up on this next new great thing...

Euro 2020 qualifying starts March 2019, in case we were going to die without this national action after the WC just ended........

England v Spain at Wembley on Saturday. I've been so focused on our holiday and the NFL season starting I've totally forgotten about this. 

There's also an NFL exhibition/season start celebration on Piccadilly in London during the day. I'll have to consult the bank account to see if we can get down there for both of these events. 

Incidentally, Sky Sports have stopped showing live La Liga games. A new company called Eleven Sports have taken over the broadcast rights. It's online only and owned by the Leeds United owner. Left me in a proper quandary. Do I pay extra to watch La Liga knowing the money will go towards funding the club I have the least respect for in the world?! 

nothing appears to be on TV in Canada this weekend, hopefully they fill in the TV grid as the days move on

the English game is the best to watch overall, usually 6 very good teams and a harder edge to the game

the 1 or 2 elite clubs in the other countries have little competition most weeks of the season

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 4:59 AM, row_33 said:

nothing appears to be on TV in Canada this weekend, hopefully they fill in the TV grid as the days move on

the English game is the best to watch overall, usually 6 very good teams and a harder edge to the game

the 1 or 2 elite clubs in the other countries have little competition most weeks of the season

5 games into the EPL.  

-I look to be dead wrong on Chelsea.  Sarri ball and Jorginho acclimating just fine.

-Man City gonna be tough to top.

-Liverpool winning games they would normally drop points in.  Biggest competition for City?

All three playing well.  

Can't wait for Champions League to start this week.  PSG & Liverpool!!  Inter and Spurs could be fun.  Maybe Roma v Madrid.