I just found out my position will be eliminated

whiteboy

Well, I just found out today that my company will be eliminating my position. I've been with the company for over four years and have gained some very valuable experience.

I've tried the usual Monster, Hot Jobs, Career Builder methods in the past and was wondering if anyone out there has any advice on a more effective method to locate potential opportunities?

Even though I'm not well known on these boards, I guess I can consider this a networking opportunity since many of the posters here live around the RTP area of NC.

If anyone out there has any leads for an experienced technical (IT) account manager please let me know.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Whiteboy

Well,  I just found out today that my company will be eliminating my position.  I've been with the company for over four years and have gained some very valuable experience.

I've tried the usual Monster,  Hot Jobs,  Career Builder methods in the past and was wondering if anyone out there has any advice on a more effective method to locate potential opportunities?

Even though I'm not well known on these boards,  I guess I can consider this a networking opportunity since many of the posters here live around the RTP area of NC.

If anyone out there has any leads for an experienced technical (IT) account manager please let me know.

Thanks,

Whiteboy

278065[/snapback]

Network, network, network. Start talking to every person you've ever crossed paths with.

Network, network, network. Start talking to every person you've ever crossed paths with.

278091[/snapback]

exactly. That's exaclty how I just got this new job. I didn't get the job because I knew someone, but I have a group of 20 friends from college and we all haev a group email loop. I sent out an email saying "hey, I'm moving home, anyone's employer hiring?". Got a tip from a friend, and that was that.

"Where are you located? Are you willing to move?"

I am currently located in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina. I am certainly not opposed to relocating for a good opportunity.

I have a four year business degree from NC State University and have been in technical sales since graduating around 5 years ago.

Once again, any lead or opportunity to speak with someone regarding a position would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"Where are you located? Are you willing to move?"

I am currently located in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina.  I am certainly not opposed to relocating for a good opportunity.

I have a four year business degree from NC State University and have been in technical sales since graduating around 5 years ago.

Once again,  any lead or opportunity to speak with someone regarding a position would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

278118[/snapback]

Have you been in contact with NC State? I'd be willing to bet they have a bunc of resources to help their own.

Well,  I just found out today that my company will be eliminating my position.  I've been with the company for over four years and have gained some very valuable experience.

I've tried the usual Monster,  Hot Jobs,  Career Builder methods in the past and was wondering if anyone out there has any advice on a more effective method to locate potential opportunities?

Even though I'm not well known on these boards,  I guess I can consider this a networking opportunity since many of the posters here live around the RTP area of NC.

Thanks,

Whiteboy

278065[/snapback]

Move to New Dehli, India.

Put a towel on your head.

Learn to live off of $300 a month.

Plenty of I.T. jobs over there.

Just ask HP and Dell.

Networking is definitely your best shot. Below are some other ideas. I've worked in HR for about 15 years, so I've helped a lot of people who are in your shoes.

1) Check to see if there are professional associations related to your career field, and if so, see if they have websites, newsletters, or networking meetings for job-seekers.

2) If you're in good standing with your current company, ask your HR department if you might be able to receive "outplacement services" as part of your exit from the company. This would involve one-on-one help from a career coach plus access to job search tools that are more in-depth than the Monster.com route. Expect some resistence from HR -- these services typically cost the company $2K to $5K. But if you don't ask, the answer is "no", right?

3) Compile a list of every company in your area which might employ someone with your skills. Visit each company's website and check their job opportunities. Very often, companies will post positions on their websites without paying to post them at sites like Monster.com.

4) Don't panic! It'll all work out. Employers can smell desperation and it will work to your disadvantage.

Good luck! Send me a PM if you want to chat further.

Just ask HP and Dell.

278171[/snapback]

As Artie Lange would say:

"WAAAAAAA.... my job was too replaceable and my company decided they'd rather pay an indian to do it for $1200 rather than me $35,000 for the same job.... WAAAAAAAA"

(this was not meant at you, whiteboy, just people that B word about job outsourcing)

Just ask HP and Dell.

278171[/snapback]

Wow...the PC deptment's alarms are going off.

If you're going to single out HP and Dell, you might as well mention every other major US corporation - just do a search for IT outsourcing on google - you'll see a ton of firms that specialize in this.

Wow...the PC deptment's alarms are going off.

If you're going to single out HP and Dell, you might as well mention every other major US corporation - just do a search for IT outsourcing on google - you'll see a ton of firms that specialize in this.

278181[/snapback]

Yeah, sure you will. I just have personal horror stories with HP, so I used that example.

Horrible tech support. They are rated dead last. It is no fun to have to your notebook screen die after three months, then call tech support, be on hold for an hour, and then get someone you don't understand.

And any one that doesn't see the relationship between outsourcing and the decline of the american tech worker is a fool.

It was really funny to hear Bill Gates at a lecture begging students to take computer classes in college. Why waste all that money if there are no jobs? We (GSK) outsourced all of our internal software creation to an Indian firm, and have nothing to show for it after 2 years. Just junk.

It was really funny to hear Bill Gates at a lecture begging students to take computer classes in college. Why waste all that money if there are no jobs? We (GSK) outsourced all of our internal software creation to an Indian firm, and have nothing to show for it after 2 years. Just junk.

278197[/snapback]

And that's why I think being in IT right now isn't such a bad thing. These things go in cycles, and I fully believe that in 5-10 years, corporations will realize that it's very difficult to outsource everything to other countries and that they're not getting the value that they expected. It's already happening on a small scale and I think that will continue.

And if you look at it, the call centers that are going overseas are for consumers, not corporations. When I need to call HP because I'm having a server problem, I get someone from the US (or Canada). Same thing for Veritas, Sun, etc. Consumers (and I'm guilty of this) want their products at a low price -- how can Dell sell you a computer for $399, but still provide top-notch tech support? They can't. To keep the price low, they have to outsource their consumer call center somewhere cheaper. On the other hand, go out and buy a highend workstation (for ~$2,500) from Dell/HP/etc, and I bet you get much better tech support (I know I did with my Compaq SP750 dual Xeon workstation I bought 3+ years ago). Dell still needs to make a profit, and selling PCs for $400 isn't giving them much of a profit margin, especially if people call tech support.

What that means is that, if there are less people getting computer science degrees now, it will make them that much more valuable in 10 years when/if companies start migrating back. I hope I'm right...

Here's a link of failures, including Dell's attempt at moving corporate tech support overseas and then bringing it back here:

http://www.ebstrategy.com/Outsourcing/cases/failures.htm

CW