Now let's start getting some smashmouth O-linemen

I'm more mad at myself than DeMulling, Detroit, TD, the Bills, Ralph Wilson and anyone or anything. As in probably the majority on this board, I've been on pins and needles waiting for us to sign DeMulling. Matter of fact this anxiety dates back to the 1st whispers of the TH/Shelton trade. I had to grab more antacid when I thought we were getting "Porkchops". Now this. I'm done. No mas! I lost sight of my initial belief that when TD just let Jennings go he had a definite blueprint on who and what he wants to do.

Pass blockers can go pound sand for all I care. I'd rather us get some of the biggest, fattest, ugliest, snot dripping behemoths that will just push their suma type figures across the scrimmage line and let Willis do his thing! Let that fancy new toy (JP) use them feet. I don't care how unexciting our offense would look, I'd just rather manhandle the defense and plod down the field. I would also like to see our TEs look like the size of RT Mike Williams (just a stab at some humor). Forget looking pretty, let's just slam the ball down people's throats.

TD says free agency isn't just now, but all the way thru the draft and then camp. I wonder how much emphasis is put on the draft for the offensive line now that we missed out on some our targeted FAs? Does anybody have any insightful input on this matter?

Roberto Garza is still out there as well......

277306[/snapback]

he's still better than what we have. I still don't understand why TD didn't even bother bringing in the other guards for visits. There were a ton of good ones and a couple got cheap contracts too. :w00t:

Guest BackInDaDay
he's still better than what we have.  I still don't understand why TD didn't even bother bringing in the other guards for visits.  There were a ton of good ones and a couple got cheap contracts too.  :w00t:

277315[/snapback]

Obviously TD has other plans, which may have less to do with FAs and trades, and more to do with the draft and advice from one of the best O line coaches in the league.

Hey Mike32282, that was a great call! This is the kind of guy we were talking about. I hope we sign him. Now let's add another Goliath to the mix in addition to Andersen. Let's not stop here. Looks like it might be time to play some smashmouth football boys!

I gotta tell ya, this board is by far and away the most active board I have ever been on. The Bills are very fortunate to have such passionate fans. Then again that's exactly why Mr. Wilson has been so good to this community. He knows and always did. The loyalty has been a 2 way street. Shame on anyone who would consider relocating this team and destroying such a love affair between a community and a organization. Go Bills!

So what's better. The Cowboys early 90's line, which is full of huge road graders or Denvers' smaller more athletic line that can get my mom to run for 1500 yards a year?

279350[/snapback]

Or the Hogs of the 80's?

So what's better. The Cowboys early 90's line, which is full of huge road graders or Denvers' smaller more athletic line that can get my mom to run for 1500 yards a year?

279350[/snapback]

Considering the NFL's crackdown on blindside hits/chop blocks, I'd say the Cowboys' 90s line is the better of the two.

I don't know. I guess it has alot of variables from personnel, strategy, and maybe even has something to do with the opponents that you play. With a young, mobile QB with little experience and a fast powerful RB in MaGahee, one would like to think that roadgraders may be more beneficial. But hey,what do I know? I'm just a passionate Bills fan who hopes for nothing but the best for this season. This could be a big step in the right direction for a promising season.

I'm more mad at myself than DeMulling, Detroit, TD, the Bills, Ralph Wilson and anyone or anything. As in probably the majority on this board, I've been on pins and needles waiting for us to sign DeMulling. Matter of fact this anxiety dates  back to the 1st whispers of the TH/Shelton trade. I had to grab more antacid when I thought we were getting "Porkchops". Now this. I'm done. No mas! I lost sight of my initial belief that when TD just let Jennings go he had a definite blueprint on who and what he wants to do.

Pass blockers can go pound sand for all I care. I'd rather us get some of the biggest, fattest, ugliest, snot dripping behemoths that will just push their suma type figures across the scrimmage line and let Willis do his thing! Let that fancy new toy (JP) use them feet. I don't care how unexciting our offense would look, I'd just rather manhandle the defense and plod down the field. I would also like to see our TEs look like the size of RT Mike Williams (just a stab at some humor). Forget looking pretty, let's just slam the ball down people's throats.

TD says free agency isn't just now, but all the way thru the draft and then camp. I wonder how much emphasis is put on the draft for the offensive line now that we missed out on some our targeted FAs? Does anybody have any insightful input on this matter?

277223[/snapback]

No offense can get by on all passing all the time or on all running all the time. There are very few defenses in the NFL that are so bad that you can just tell them up front that you are going to run or pass and beat them anyway. You have to have a credible threat at both ends. The idea that you can just buy more beef than the other guy and pound it at him a yard at a time is a romantic view of football that just doesn't measure up to reality anymore. You have to be able to protect your QB and move the ball in the air to win consistently just as much as you have to be able to run the ball effectively. Denver in particular over the years has demonstrated over and over that a versatile line that can run and pass block is the way to go.

I think that the Bill's offensive performance last year demonstrated in game after game that the line was not good enough to stop the defense if the defense didn't have to guess. We were awful on first down runs and even worse on third downs where we had to throw due to the yardage. Simply adding pounds and inches on to the line will not guarantee even a boring, plodding yet effective offense. If it were that simple, teams would all do just that. There is more to blocking than weight.

I understand what you are looking for but for my part, I have heard the cliche, "power running team" so often on this board I want to scream. It is a meaningless phrase. Take the Patriots, they are not wedded to any particular offensive philosophy. I have seen them run like crazy, throw like crazy and everything in between, often all in the same game. That makes them difficult to predict which means the defense can't gang up or overplay anything. The Patriots look to exploit the particular vulnerabilities of the defense they are playing against, they don't adhere to some ideological offensive theory, seeking to bend all to their will. You go dime, they draw; you go two deep, they screen; you go 8 in the box they go with a WR screen knowing a missed tackle is 6 points, and on and on.

We don't need to run for the sake of running, what we need is to gain yards. Throw when they are plaing run and run when they are playing pass. That's my offensive philosophy and for that, you need guys who can pass and run block. Maximum options, that is the key.

• 2 weeks later...