Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

On 10/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, row_33 said:

It's All Too Much gets resurrected for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack

this and Only a Northern Song were started during the Sgt Pepper sessions, would have been a lot more "ahead of it's psychedelic time" released then instead of when we got to hear it.

George apparently wrote IATM about acid, then found meditation gave the same results, I'll take his word for it...

still argued over who provided the opening feedback, some go with John, others Paul (more his type of noodling in studio), George was at the organ

It is John on the opening.

3 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Totally John. 

Sonic blue strat used by John. Paul is on his Rick 

George later said it was Paul, he wasn’t into giving Paul a ton of extra credit.

It’s split on the internet discussions...

1 minute ago, Helpmenow said:

Research this and it is mentioned that it was John not George.

I’ve read three sites tonight that quoted George saying it was Paul

The discussion occurred in the early 1990s, John wasn’t available for some reason

20 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

It is John on the opening.

I'm behind the times but this is the first time I have heard this.   The start sounds like "Black or White"

I was on a plane today and I chose to listen to the Red Album on my mp3 player.  Bose noise canceling headphones.   I always enjoy listening to them, trying to guess who is singing what.   They did have a great vocal sound and they are probably under-rated in that regard.   It is also a great album to hear how they progressed.

14 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I'm behind the times but this is the first time I have heard this.   The start sounds like "Black or White"

I was on a plane today and I chose to listen to the Red Album on my mp3 player.  Bose noise canceling headphones.   I always enjoy listening to them, trying to guess who is singing what.   They did have a great vocal sound and they are probably under-rated in that regard.   It is also a great album to hear how they progressed.

thanks Greybeard, the hardest (to me) thing to pick out is George's harmony on John or Paul songs, I think they deliberately mixed him down to put him in his place.

On Sullivan, John's voice was shot (often happened) or his mic wasn't working (happened a lot), so you get Paul's contribution.

Washington gives you John's part as Paul is washed out.

A good guide to their contributions to this classic.

On the single they are in unison for the first two lines, with John dominating for most of the rest of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A fun website is this man's work, going too deep on every song in a great way.

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/ss.shtml

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

---------------

George Martin works on the dreadful 2nd side of the YS soundtrack

the biggest heist since all those nobodies made a killing from getting the Colonel to put their trash on an Elvis soundtrack....

Edited by row_33

The divorce trial of John and Cynthia is finalized, in favour of the Mrs.

------------------------------------------

a fun poll from a few years back, definitely The Who in this case, a rare instance...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/i-can-see-for-miles-vs-helter-skelter.341559/

and up to 1000 pages for the 50th of the White Album

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/50th-anniversary-all-things-beatles-white-album.729833/

Edited by row_33

15 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Saw him four times. Twice in Toronto, here and syracuse

I haven't seen him live but gave 2 pairs of tickets as gifts for separate concerts to fans who really appreciated it.

What is your favourite part of his catalogue?

Mine are the throwaway masterpieces Good Day Sunshine and For No One, doing his thing while John was doing his.