Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

On 11/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, row_33 said:

-----------------------

Ian MacDonald's book Revolution in the Head was a great read, going through the details of each recording in an unlettered musical appreciation.

Especially interesting to me was his comments on Ringo's unique fills as a left-handed drummer playing on a right-handed kit, something I grew up doing as well....

When you first posted this, it looked interesting.    Is this book worth the read?  Does it cover who wrote, who sung and who played what in each song?

Why would some copies be selling for $170 dollars, while others are $17?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Greybeard

It’s a great read with helpful analysis of who did what and some basic music theory for every recorded song,  plus his mostly interesting theories on the music and the era

lewisohn provided most of the recording info in explicit detail, often official recording notes were not made so some things are still up for conjecture...

(Alan W Pollack, on the internet, gave a very high level of music theory analysis for each song)

not sure if it’s still in print, may explain the variance on price?

Other enjoyed books, not widely available:

Apple to the Core detailing the financial picture and lawsuits against each other 

The book outlining every minute on the Get Back/Let It Be sessions

The Longest Cocktail Party by the house hippy at Apple for a few years

Edited by row_33

In 1968, John pleads guilty to possession of cannabis resin and is fined 150 pounds plus 20 guineas costs.

please don't ask me to translate the currency of that day, one intro to a book on UK commerce caused a migraine

----------------------

50 years ago,  UK LP of release: 'Unfinished Music Number 1--Two Virgins'.

and the world wonder just WTF was wrong with John

turns out a few things they still don't really want to admit.

how easily the world was shocked back then, oh yeah... i live in 2018 with people going ballistic about 12 things that don't really concern them.... :D

who is who...

Ringo with his unique fills and somehow holding through the beat

the ill-fated Jim Gordon, keeps it too clean and on the beat to be Ringo

Alan White

so the game is, mentally configure the change in each song if George chose to switch them

On 11/27/2018 at 7:40 AM, row_33 said:

In 1968, John pleads guilty to possession of cannabis resin and is fined 150 pounds plus 20 guineas costs.

please don't ask me to translate the currency of that day, one intro to a book on UK commerce caused a migraine

£150 in 1968 is £2,472.31 in 2017. £2,472.31 is 3,148.24 in today's US dollar.

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

£150 in 1968 is £2,472.31 in 2017. £2,472.31 is 3,148.24 in today's US dollar.

thanks

i meant mentally mapping out how pounds/shillings/pence changed over the years, when i have no need for it at all   :D

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Oh yeah. I'm not going into that. That's a very rough estimate based on googles inflation/currency calculators. 

very good to see someone else realizing how daunting it can be

my readings have taken me from the days of King John through the two Cromwells (of note) into Sammy Johnson and then John Lennon, for currency concerns...  :(

• Like (+1) 1