3-man QB competitions of Buffalo yore

55 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the notion has been debunked that playing a rookie QB early -- even if he struggles -- will necessarily "damage" him down the road.  I presume you mean his psyche, not that he would be physically injured.

I feel like Peterman and McCarron have a slight edge over Allen right now, and that's only because nothing has been done with pads on.  Labeling Allen the 3rd stringer early on was a brilliant move by McD.  Wait until the pads are on and the players see what Allen can do vs. the other two.  It will be an obvious decision, I believe, but they won't have saddled Allen with too much pressure as he learns the offense.

The idea that a QB can be started too early and that it might "damage him" is a myth.

Another myth is that a young QB needs to "develop while he watches from the sidelines for a while". 

The final myth related to this stuff is that a young QB needs a veteran QB to "show him the way".

All of these ideas are just nonsense discussed by sports fans.  They aren't actual things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, Buffalo86 said:

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

1. 2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor

2. 2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall

*Yes, of course we all just wanted whichever guy was best for the team.  

I never liked any of those QB's. The 3 we have right now might end up being better players than all of them. Should be an exciting TC.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2018 at 4:28 PM, Foreigner said:

Why is our coach so in love with Nathan (pick six) Peterman?

Is it because he is a good practice QB or some other mysterious reason? I can't figure it out so please

help me.

You better hope there is no Peterman 2.0.

I heard it's because Rick Dennison tricked him into thinking he's good. So that's why. /S

Edited by Lfod

EJ and JP cause they were our 1st rounders

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The idea that a QB can be started too early and that it might "damage him" is a myth.

Another myth is that a young QB needs to "develop while he watches from the sidelines for a while". 

The final myth related to this stuff is that a young QB needs a veteran QB to "show him the way".

All of these ideas are just nonsense discussed by sports fans.  They aren't actual things.

Bump. This can't be said enough times. Anybody that was good at sports will tell you they weren't broken by a singular event, improved by not playing, and needed some journey man to teach them what they should be doing anyway.

I know everyone hates EJ but he has a 146.9 qb rating during that competition.  It was preseason but that Pittsburgh was amazing (7-8, 170 yards, 2 tds, & 0 ints).

and I don’t need Allen to win the job.  But I want to see a guy who looks physically much more gifted than 2 5th rounders with very average physical tools.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know everyone hates EJ but he has a 146.9 qb rating during that competition.  It was preseason but that Pittsburgh was amazing (7-8, 170 yards, 2 tds, & 0 ints).

and I don’t need Allen to win the job.  But I want to see a guy who looks physically much more gifted than 2 5th rounders with very average physical tools.

And this is why I think he'll win the job unless he looks absolutely clueless during the exhibition games.  From a physical standpoint he blows Nate and AJ out of the water, and based upon what we've heard so far he's a smart guy as well.  I really believe it's just about getting reps.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

And this is why I think he'll win the job unless he looks absolutely clueless during the exhibition games.  From a physical standpoint he blows Nate and AJ out of the water, and based upon what we've heard so far he's a smart guy as well.  I really believe it's just about getting reps.

See, I see him making the flash big plays but struggling with the intermediate stuff and holding the ball too long.  Basically, he is a guy who will have monster drives but struggle with the short game.  The other 2 will be the opposite.  And I think they will lean towards the vet to not rush JA out there.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See, I see him making the flash big plays but struggling with the intermediate stuff and holding the ball too long.  Basically, he is a guy who will have monster drives but struggle with the short game.  The other 2 will be the opposite.  And I think they will lean towards the vet to not rush JA out there.

As of right now there is no reason to believe Allen will struggle with the short/intermediate stuff -- that's why I said getting reps is the key.  I'm also a believer that an offense without big play ability is a losing offense -- how many teams consistently put together multiple 10+ play drives in a game?  You've got to get yards in chunks and score on big plays.

With Nate or AJ behind center the Bills' chances to make big plays in the passing game drop precipitously (in my opinion).

On 6/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, Buffalo86 said:

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

1. 2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor

2. 2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall

*Yes, of course we all just wanted whichever guy was best for the team.  

Interesting topic.  Thanks for doing something different!

In 2015, I was rooting for Taylor and the reason was pretty simple.  I wanted a franchise QB of the future and we pretty much knew at that point what Matt Cassel was and was not.  I also felt that EJ Manuel at that point was pretty much ruined.  He got some starts in 2013 and then took a back seat to a journeyman in Kyle Orton.  He needed to "be the guy" or sit and learn for a bit and he did neither.

In 2006, it was clearly Losman for the same reasons.  Nall and Holcomb were both journeymen and neither were franchise answers for the team.  Once again, rooting for the rookie to be the franchise QB of the future.

Fast forward to today and guess who I'm rooting for.  Once he starts, Allen should be our starter barring injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

As of right now there is no reason to believe Allen will struggle with the short/intermediate stuff -- that's why I said getting reps is the key.  I'm also a believer that an offense without big play ability is a losing offense -- how many teams consistently put together multiple 10+ play drives in a game?  You've got to get yards in chunks and score on big plays.

With Nate or AJ behind center the Bills' chances to make big plays in the passing game drop precipitously (in my opinion).

Well even if it’s Allen, there is zero deep threat in this offense.  I really wish we gambled on St. Brown of Notre Dame late in the draft.  I could see him and Allen hooking up on some big pass plays to get everyone excited about 2019. Oh well.