[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let's not get carried away. The Sabres are definitely moving up the ranks but they are not better than Washington or Columbus. In almost every game that we have won in the six game streak we were outplayed yet escaped with a victory. That's a tribute to the grittiness of the team and good fortune. That good fortune usually balances out in the season. 

I'm not diminishing our accomplishments but trying to put it into perspective. There is still a lot to do to be a really good team. The core is forming and there has to be some additions to support and enhance the core.

In my view the quality goaltending has been the biggest reason why our fortunes have changed. I'm not discounting the additions of players like Skinner but the goaltending has been very consistent throughout the season. It has kept us in games where before the erratic goaltending allowed the game to slip away. 

I both agree and disagree with your premise.  I think a team "learns" how to win and just because the wins are somewhat fortunate it doesn't mean the team isn't beginning to "expect" to win and transforming into a "better" team.  And it's not as if they've just been getting good bounces either -- they have actually been dominating teams late in games.

If we were seeing wins in which the Sabres were outshot 38-20 or something like that (think Hasek days) I'd be more inclined to tap the brakes on my optimism and chalk it all up to goaltending and luck.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I both agree and disagree with your premise.  I think a team "learns" how to win and just because the wins are somewhat fortunate it doesn't mean the team isn't beginning to "expect" to win and transforming into a "better" team.  And it's not as if they've just been getting good bounces either -- they have actually been dominating teams late in games.

If we were seeing wins in which the Sabres were outshot 38-20 or something like that (think Hasek days) I'd be more inclined to tap the brakes on my optimism and chalk it all up to goaltending and luck.

Simple question: Do you believe that the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington? I don't. At this point I believe that their rosters are fuller and better. 

I don't know how you can come away from my original post and say that I said or meant to say that the Sabres aren't transforming into a better team or have higher expectations. It's quite the opposite. With PTR every opinion that doesn't fall into the category of the fawning fan of the hometown team is act of disloyalty. You are much more discerning than that irredeemable lovable zealot. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Simple question: Do you believe that the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington? I don't. At this point I believe that their rosters are fuller and better. 

I don't know how you can come away from my original post and say that I said or meant to say that the Sabres aren't transforming into a better team or have higher expectations. It's quite the opposite. With PTR every opinion that doesn't fall into the category of the fawning fan of the hometown team is act of disloyalty. You are much more discerning than that irredeemable lovable zealot. 

I don't evaluate rosters around the NHL in the same way I look at NFL rosters.  I really only watch Sabres games, while I watch many NFL games besides the Bills.  So all I can go by is what I see, articles I read, and the standings.  Right now, statistically, the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington through one quarter of the season.

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You missed the point of my original post. I simply made the point that I believed that they were ranked higher than they should be. I consider Columbus and Washington better teams. I'm not denigrating the Sabres or dismissing their current success. It's exciting and fun to watch. But I don't believe that they are better than Washington and Columbus. If you do then that's fine. 

Trust me, I get the point.  I see more of the "pump the breaks" stuff regarding the Bills, strange as that may sound, but I get the point.  In a 7 game series against Washington or Columbus, they would most likely come up short.  But that's why ranking systems aren't anything to pay attention to,  they go by stats and record and not experience and grit.     

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

argh..the dreaded let down game against an AHL goalie.... I know  i am always nervous nellie  but I would have preferred Ni_Vert in there tonight

He's hurt and the Sabres have been doing well this season against backup tenders.  Feast on boys pre-thanksgiving style.  No BBFS allowed as we go for 7 straight! :beer:

5 Things: PHI vs. BUF

Philadelphia Flyers (9-9-2, 20pts) at Buffalo Sabres (13-6-2, 28pts) at KeyBank Center | Buffalo, NY

QUICK STATS
Season Series (2017-18): 2-1-0
All-Time Record: 176gp (88-61-20-7)
Leading Scorers:
PHI: 24-pts, Giroux (7g-17a)
BUF: 24-pts, Eichel (5g-19a)

1. GOING AWAY AGAIN
2. BUFFALO HOT
3. A TALE OF TWO STATS
4. SWEDE ROOKIES
5. PLAYERS TO WATCH: