[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Dahlin was as advertised. His ability to transition out of the defensive zone is going to be HUGE for the Sabres. His passing also stood out. Very well rounded defenseman already. Amazing that he’s only 18, and has only been a defenseman since 14... sky’s the limit for him.

Tage Thompson really impressed me tonight. He stood out. A lot more skilled than I expected. And he knows how to use his size. Didn’t look awkward at all (I thought he would being so tall and all...). Boy, he’s got a hell of a shot, too. He looks like he has top 6 potential for sure. 

Nylander also stood out to me. He was around the puck a lot, and made a lot of nice plays. Consistent effort all night too, which was great to see.  He has so much talent, and is still so young. It would be huge for Buffalo if he works out. 

Olofsson’s shot is also as advertised, and his release is just lightning fast. 

Borgen was great defensively. Very physical. Very good in his own zone and on the PK.

Laaksonen flashed his skill tonight. You can see why Buffalo made him a 3rd round pick. 

Asplund played a very good 2 way game. Showed his defensive ability and also made some nice plays. I love his motor. Kid is relentless. 

Thought Cole Coskey had a nice showing for himself. 

Mittelstadt was disappointing. He looked disinterested to me or something. If that was the case I get it. He knows he has a spot in Buffalo and I’m sure doesn’t want to risk injury so close to his first camp. 

Hickey struggles to start the game. But I thought he settled in during the 3rd. 

All in all, very nice showing by the Sabres prospects. It gets you excited for the future. 

If Dahlin becomes a star and the Buffalo media and fans are too busy talking about the Bills is he still a star? 

All kidding aside I am really excited for this Sabres season. Hoping to make it to a few games this year. Can't wait to see Dahlin play. I think they will be a lot better this year. 

Rasmus Dahlin dazzles in 6-4 win over Devils

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - It was Rasmus Dahlin's first game wearing the Sabres crest across his chest and he certainly didn't disappoint. The No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft sent the sold-out HARBORCENTER crowd home happy with two goals and an assist en route to a 6-4 Sabres win over the New Jersey Devils.  

Quick hits from the game:

Dahlin - 2G, 1A
Nylander - 1G
Thompson - 1G
Asplund - 2A
Pekar - 2A

5 Observations:

Dahlin Dazzles
The Other Rasmus
Bodied by Borgen
No Guhle, no problem
Nifty Nylander

Rasmus Dahlin's Sabres debut was a smashing success - Sportsnet.ca

Rasmus Dahlin played his first game in a Buffalo Sabres sweater on Friday, and could not have made a better impression.

Dahlin, finally set to enter the NHL after two years of hype, took the ice as part of the Prospects Challenge, one of many rookie tournaments currently ongoing as the pre-pre-season gets underway.

The No. 1 pick got started with a big hit on 25-year-old Ryan Schmelzer in the first period. Dahlin’s physicality doesn’t get talked about as much as his all-world vision and puckhandling, but… maybe it should?

• Like (+1) 1

I said it back when we won the lottery but it's worth repeating:  winning this draft lottery was far more important than winning the McDavid lottery.   Dahlin is a generational defenseman and they simply don't exist at a young age.   

I would take Eichel & Dahlin over any young forward/defenseman combo in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

Pronman: Most intriguing prospect to watch at camp for every...

With NHL training camps opening next week, I’ll be discussing one young player from each team who I’ll be watching closely. This is not pointing out who the team’s top prospect is, but rather who is interesting to me, for one reason or another.

Buffalo: Alexander Nylander, LW

While most of the Buffalo camp attention will deservedly be on Rasmus Dahlin and Casey Mittelstadt, nobody’s progression is more critical at this moment than Nylander, who has not progressed as quickly at the AHL level as some may have hoped after he was a top 10 pick two summers ago. Getting stronger and quicker over the summer will be important for him, and he needs to show he’s more than just a skilled player but one who can win battles versus men. Mittelstadt and Dahlin have spots secured in likely prominent roles. Nylander still has a lot more to prove.