OT - Going to New Orlean for First Time Tonight

That sounds like a Jim Morrison lyric. Though, I'm pretty sure its not....... :w00t:

277366[/snapback]

Nah. It's from "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". The story is set in Savannah GA, but the character to which the quote is attributed is a witchdoctor. NOLA is famous for its voodoo.

I thought I'd let you guys know how NewOrleans went. Overall it was awesome, with 2 of the 3 days sunny and around 70 degrees.

We went to the voodoo museum, which was pretty out there, but interesting. Did you know that voodoo doctors would originally put pins into dolls to keep a record of a person's medical history, not to try to cause anything (e.g. pin in right forearm to record a broken arm)?

We drank hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's on St. Patrick's Day, starting at noon. My wife said I had 6-7, and no lunch or dinner, but my memory is a little foggy between the fourth one and waking up while running to the bathroom in our hotel room that evening. This is pretty out of character for me, but I had a blast, and had the most reasonable serious hangover ever.

Our nice meals out were to the Palace Cafe and a restaurant called 201. Both were excellent, and the prices seemed reasonable with no wine on the bill (see above).

Other highlights:

taking the Charles Avenue streetcar for a $1.25 tour of the garden district, and walking around checking out the awesome houses

Muffalettas a couple places (yumm!)

Marti Gras World (overpriced at $15 each)

Short visit to Harrah's ($15 minimums at the craps tables)

Heard some good live jazz at Fritzels and at a cafe near the market

entertaining street performers

Thanks for the suggestions!

If its not too late, make sure you get a Hand Grenade at a place called Tropical... something. Trust me, you'll see Hand Grenades. Try one, and dont rush to try the next one. The thing hits you like a Bledsoe sack 5 minutes later. 2 or 3 should finish you for the night. Another interesting drink is the Shark attack, same place. If you order that, be sure to tip the bartender. Hell, be sure to tip them anyway.

If its not too late, make sure you get a Hand Grenade at a place called Tropical... something. Trust me, you'll see Hand Grenades. Try one, and dont rush to try the next one. The thing hits you like a Bledsoe sack 5 minutes later. 2 or 3 should finish you for the night. Another interesting drink is the Shark attack, same place. If you order that, be sure to tip the bartender. Hell, be sure to tip them anyway.

282366[/snapback]

Just like a Dolfin fan. A day late and a dollar short. If you read the thread you'd realize that you're giving suggestions to someone who's already been and came back and gave a report.... :D;)

Just like a Dolfin fan. A day late and a dollar short. If you read the thread you'd realize that you're giving suggestions to someone who's already been and came back and gave a report.... :D  ;)

282374[/snapback]

Oh well, just saw the thread... But now we all now, for next time. :lol:

Oh well, just saw the thread... But now we all now, for next time.  :D

282377[/snapback]

I think if I had anything to do differently, it would have been more food and less cheap mixed drinks. We had some of the best food of our lives and should have focused on quality alcohol, not quantity (or both ;) ). Also, we lost a half day of our 3 day vacation because of over-drinking. Which, btw, my wife was great about. Apparently I was entertaining enough to make it worth it to her....

Hahahaha!!!! Overdo it on the Hurricanes, did we?

Sounds like you guys had a good time, which is important. I'm hoping to take my wife there for the Bills-Saints game this year, as she's never been there before. I haven't been to New Orleans in 8 years, so I'm really hoping we get to go there.

Hahahaha!!!!  Overdo it on the Hurricanes, did we?

Sounds like you guys had a good time, which is important.  I'm hoping to take my wife there for the Bills-Saints game this year, as she's never been there before.  I haven't been to New Orleans in 8 years, so I'm really hoping we get to go there.

282395[/snapback]

Ramius and I were just there in August. Gotta love that place, the river, the music, the food. Wow. We even got upgraded because they didnt have the room we had reserved, so we had to kick it in a $450 a night Suite, and we payed less that a hundred bucks a night.

Ramius and I were just there in August. Gotta love that place, the river, the music, the food. Wow. We even got upgraded because they didnt have the room we had reserved, so we had to kick it in a $450 a night Suite, and we payed less that a hundred bucks a night.

282415[/snapback]

Nice.

Take the streetcar to the Garden District (get off at Washington or Jackson). Pick up a walking tour guide to the District. Your wife will love the architecture; also check out the architecture as you ride the car. An interesting walk from there is over to Market Street; all sorts of unique shops.

From the Garden District, you're not far from one of the best restaurants in town, by far, Jacques Imo's.

In the area where you are staying, check out Mother's Restaurant. It's cafeteria style, very popular, and has great, authentic Cajun cooking.